1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung wireless extender for verizon wireless

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by khamer, Nov 6, 2011.

1. khamer

khamer New Member

We have straight talk phones that use the Verizon towers, and live in a canyon that allows absolutely no cell phone reception. I've done a little research and found that the Samsung Wireless Extender (made for verizon wireless) should work with my phone even though I don't have a contract with verizon. Only problem is, I need someone with a verizon wireless account to activate the device.

Can anyone back that up? I have a friend with verizon wireless who is willing to activate it for me if it will work. Just don't want to spend the money before knowing it will work...

Or if anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

BTW - Here is a link to the device I'm talking about.
    Set Your Location

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

I am not sure exactly how the Verizon model works, but this would not work on the Sprint side. With the Sprint model, even a Virgin Mobile phone (a company owned by Sprint itself) will not work with it. In fact, it will completely block all calls being attempted with a Virgin Mobile phone.

3. khamer

khamer New Member

Is there a "universal" model anyone knows about that will work with any phone?

4. Maximum Signal

Maximum Signal Senior Member

No , not a femtocell . Wireless cellular amplifier systems work with any carrier on the frequencies they cover

5. khamer

khamer New Member

English please :help:

6. Maximum Signal

Excuse me??? That was English . The extender is a femtocell . Femtocell only work with phones for the carrier the femtocell is issued by. Wireless cellullar amplifiers work with multiple carriers.

7. khamer

khamer New Member

Sorry, I wasn't trying to insult your reply. Honestly I don't know anything about cell phones. Femtocell and cellular amplifier mean nothing to me. But it sounds like I should be looking for a wireless cellular amplifier. Is this similar to the femtocell device in that it works through an internet connection? I need something that will work the internet because I live in the bottom of a canyon.

Thanks for your help.

8. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

You can recognize a wireless cellular amplifier by the two antennas, one to connect with your handset and another to connect to the distant cell site. A wireless amplifier could serve multiple handsets of multiple carriers. It can be dual band, or single--cellular or PCS (or SMR for Nextel). Look for two antenna connectors.
    Now you recognize the difference--the femtocell device has to connect the the service provider's switch directly. It connects to your handset via an antenna, and to the service provider by internet. All the femtocells I've read of or seen have a built-in anttenna, and a RJ-45 Ethernet jack.

The femtocells are service specific. While Sprint provides the network for Virgin Mobile, a Virgin Mobile handset user can't use a Sprint AirRave femtocell.

Apparently you will be the pioneer.

COtech

9. Maximum Signal

A cellular amplifier system is not carrier specific . As long as you have any signal at all a good amplifier system should enhance that signal so you have usable signal on all the frequencies that amplifier works on.

A femtocell is issued by a specific cellular carrier and generated signal through a hard wired internet connection you have in your building . Femtocells are not generic . A femtocell need to be issued and activated by a specific carrier . A femtocell will only work on said carriers devices and will not work with any devices from another carrier.

10. khamer

khamer New Member

So the amplifier actually requires a small amount of reception in order to work? I have to hike up about 1,000 feet of elevation to get 1 bar (and that's if I'm lucky).

Looks like I'll have to either switch carriers or keep my land line...

11. Maximum Signal

In your situation , you may need to switch carriers . Ask your neighbors who they use and have success with at their homes .

12. khamer

khamer New Member

I believe this is this the case. My neighbors use AT&T and have one of their femtocell's. Verizon is supposedly the best out here, but like I said, that signal is 1000 feet above me.

Thanks for your help!

13. rjniles

rjniles Junior Member

khamer,

You have not told us which carrier you use. Most of the major carriers have a femtocell offering that uses your internet connection to provide cell service. Why not investigate what your carrier has available.

14. khamer

khamer New Member

M girlfriend and I both have straight talk phones, I believe it is a subsidiary of TracPhone. Straight talk phones, depending on the model, use other carriers towers. The phones we have both use the Verizon Network, this is why I thought maybe the Verizon Wireless one would work for us, provided we had someone to activate the device.

There is no femtocell on straight talk's website, so I think I'm out of options without switching carriers.

15. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Yeah, I don't see how a femtocell would work with a prepaid carrier. You would have to switch to a standard carrier with a contract to have one of these devices.

16. saddledee

saddledee New Member

I have a network extender and just got off the phone with Verizon with the same question. We had Verizon when we bought the extender and now we are with Straight Talk and the extender does not work. Verizon told me we had to have an OPEN account with them in order for the extender to work. It worked beautiful for the short time we were still with Verizon. And we do have phones the work off of the Verizon towers. Hope this is some help. Also the rep told me that I cant send it back that the only way to recoup my money is to try to sell it. GREAT ....RIGHT ????