1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung A310 Silent Mode?????

Discussion in 'SAMSUNG' started by Guest, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have an A310 and I have heard that when you put the phone into silent mode, using the one touch feature (holding down the # key), that the phone vibrates when a call is recieved. My A310, when i put it into silent mode is only silent, no Vibrating whatsoever. Can anyone help me out with this? Do i need a software update? Is my phone a lemon? or does this phone not vibrate when in silent mode and people are mistaken. Any help or experiences with this feature ON THE A310 would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. bigedx

bigedx Junior Member

mine does the same

3. Cioni2k

Cioni2k Senior Member

If you set your ringer volume to "Vibrate" then put it into Silent Mode, the phone will vibrate. If you have it on a volume level, it will not make a sound/or vibrate.

4. bigedx

bigedx Junior Member

you sure, i just put it on vibrate, then held the pound key, to put it into silence, called it and it just blinks

5. Guest

Guest Guest

That's weird...

Here is how mine works.

When you press and hold on to "#", phone will vibrate when receiving calls, but will not make any sounds(alerts too)

When I put the phone in silent mode by bringing down the volume all the way down, phone will not vibrate.(only blink)

6. poldervaart

poldervaart Member

Okay...

I leave my ringer volume at 5 and my alarm volume at 5. The phone rings and the alarm goes off with the selected ring tone. When I am wearing my phone at work, I prefer to use vibrate. I hold the # key and go into silent mode. All keypad sounds are disabled and the phone vibrates for both calls and alarms (schedule, etc). That is the same way my LG 510 worked as well.

Maybe it has to do with software version.

Mine is:
    PRL: 50047
    S:A310.VG18
    H:A310.02
    ERI:50018

By the way....does anyone know what all that means????

7. frankoma

frankoma Junior Member

Strange how our phones aren't operating the same. Mine vibrates in Silent mode regardless of call ringer setting. Also discovered you can silence the incoming ring (or vibration) by hitting the volume key, interesting.
    My version numbers are the same as above except for PRL: 50049. The user guide says this screen displays the software and hardware versions, which I guess are the "S" and "H" numbers. Don't know about the rest.

8. bigedx

bigedx Junior Member

wtf, i have both on 5 and hold the # key, it silences everything but no vibrate at all

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Mine operates the same way, i can't seem to get the phone to vibrate in silent mode. I wonder if all of these people who are claiming that theirs vibrates when in silent mode, actually have never tried it and are just assuming.

10. poldervaart

poldervaart Member

Maybe, Mr. Anonymous, you should not jump to such conclusions. As I stated in my post....I use this feature everyday at work. Maybe rather that insulting the intelligence of others, you should post your software version so that we can try and determine what the differences are.

Or... maybe you have never really tried holding down the # key, and are only assuming yours is different! : )

11. Guest

Guest Guest

My apologies, I did not mean to insult the intelligence of anyone. I was merely trying to pose a question.

My Version is:

PRL: 50049
    S:A310.VG18
    H:A310.02
    ERI:50018

12. poldervaart

poldervaart Member

No Biggie, Anonymous....hence the smiley!

Anyway....looks like you have the same version information as Frankoma...and his vibrates in silent mode like mine. That must mean that it has to do with something other than the software. I'll do some checking to see what I can find out on the Samsung site. I'll have to check the manual also...I never looked that part up to see what it says.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I'll do some looking too. Please reply to this post so we may keep up on this. Thanks, Mike

14. poldervaart

poldervaart Member

From the online manual for the A310:

"Silent mode
    The Silent Mode feature allows you to instantaneously silence the ringer when
    in standby mode.
    •With the phone in standby mode, press and hold for 2
    seconds. Entering Silent Mode displays briefly. (The silent mode
    icon displays on the standby screen.)
    •To exit from Silent Mode press and hold for 2 seconds. The
    screen prompt Exit Silent Mode displays, and your phone
    automatically reactivates the previous ringer volume setting. (The
    silent mode icon is removed from the standby screen.)"

DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT VIBRATE. I am still looking. Nothing in the FAQ either.

15. poldervaart

poldervaart Member

Tried to fill out the support form at Samsung to see what they could tell us...but kept getting an error that said "failed to connect to mail.samsungusa.com" I guess that means that they did not get my support request. I'm done for the night!

16. poldervaart

poldervaart Member

oh...the PRL is the "Preferred Roaming List". Wouldn't effect phone features.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

I wrote samsung an email, I'll let you know what they say. Goodnight.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't know what conclusion to make, this is what the samsung support guy wrote to me.

Dear Michael,

He is not putting his phone into silent mode, he is setting his ringer to
    vibrate. Silent mode is exactly that. It will not vibrate or beep or make any
    noise of any kind. If you need to be alerted without a ringer, simply turn the
    ringer down using the down arrow on the left side of the phone until it says
    vibrate on the screen.

Thanks,
    Technical Support
    Samtech007

19. bigedx

bigedx Junior Member

yeah, thats what mine does

20. frankoma

frankoma Junior Member

Okay, I just tried the silent mode thing again, in case my experiments last night were a fluke, and the phone still vibrates in silent mode (that's silent mode entered by way of the # key, not vibrate mode entered by the volume key). I just emailed Samsung to see if they can solve the puzzle.

21. frankoma

frankoma Junior Member

Got my reply:

When in silent mode, the phone will not make any kind of audible sound however the phone will vibrate when an incoming call is received. There is no
    malfunction in your phone as mine does this as well. It is the design of the phone.

Thanks
    Samtech006

Hmmm, same question, two different answers. I guess whatever your particular phone is doing is, well, what it's supposed to do. Some of us have Samtech006's phone design and some of us have Samtech007's phone design. [​IMG]

22. Guest

Guest Guest

hmmm......i dont' know what's going on now. i sent samsung back your reply and we'll see what kind of answer i get. i'll keep everyone posted.

23. Hideo

Hideo Junior Member

Been watching this thread for a while and since there doesn't seem to be any consensus I decided to experiment with my phone.

I used the usual "hold down the # key for 2 seconds" to get into silent mode and my phone vibrates no matter what the volume setting was set to before entering silent mode.

It vibrated when the volume was set to 5, it vibrated when the volume was set to "vibrate", and it vibrated when the volume was set to "silent"...

Here are my phone stats, just in case anyone is interested...

S: A310.VG18
    H: A310.02
    ERI: 50018

I have no idea why people would be seeing different behavior with this phone. For the people whose phones don't vibrate, does your LCD screen actually register that a call is coming in when you call it?

(Just making sure that your phone is actually getting an "incomming call" signal. Not meaning to insult anyone's intelligence, but we might as well check that box off on the list of possible reasons for the discrepancy.)

24. Cioni2k

Cioni2k Senior Member

I just checked with my phone... It doesn't ever vibrate in silent mode, even if "Vibrate" is set for ringers.

My Version:

S: A310.VG18
    H: A310.02
    ERI: 50018

25. Guest

Guest Guest

I can see that a call is being recieved in silent mode, the phone just sits there though, no vibrating, no matter what level the ringer is set to.

26. poldervaart

poldervaart Member

Can't wait to see what the Samsung guy has to say when he is confronted with two different answers for the same question. This is really strange. I wonder if there wasn't a design change somewhere between the times our phones were made, although you would think the software version would reflect that.

27. Guest

Guest Guest

My phone does NOT vibrate on silent mode and I purchased my A310 the day it came out, on 9/12/02. When did you buy yours?

28. Hideo

Hideo Junior Member

Let's see... The A310 came out on the 12th of September, and I got mine the next Monday (purely by serendipity), so that would be the 16th of September.

Just in case location matters, I picked up my A310 in the St. Louis, MO area...

29. Cioni2k

Cioni2k Senior Member

Mine does not vibrate in Silent Mode and I bought mine the day it came out also (9/12/02)

30. Guest

Guest Guest

It looks like that is one case so far where the phone setting must've change. Hideo bought his after the initial date and his vibrates in silent mode. i bought mine the day it came out, just like cioni2k, and neither of ours vibrates. If I can get confirmation from more people that they bought after 9/12 and theirs vibrates, i'm taking mine back for an exchange. It would really help if the phone vibrated on silent mode!