1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revol Wireless - Ohio

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by Moosiebear, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Moosiebear

Moosiebear New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i730
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Anybody notice that Northcoast PCS turned into Revol Wireless? What's the story there? Check out the new website. www.revol.us :dunno:

If i remember correctly didn't Northcoast have a roaming agreement with Cricket for Cleveland? That seems to have disappeared with this change.

2. Cleveland Caller

Cleveland Caller New Member

I know someone pretty high up at Northcoast that told me Revol is just a new name they are using: just an advertising gimmick. Same owners, management, etc... as Northcoast.

I would assume that their roaming agreement with Cricket would still be in effect then.

I guess Northcoast is so known as being the ghetto/welfare phone that they are trying to change their image by being the new "cool" phone.

3. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I had never knew that they had a roaming agreement with Cricket, I thought they were going to do a roaming agreement with Verizon, which would have been a great thing.

4. JFB

JFB Silver Senior Member Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thanks for the info. guys. The WA databases have been updated to show that name change.

5. observer

observer Junior Member Junior Member

Man, have they got it goin'on!

That's one of the most exciting websites I've ever visited. They're got 'tude and they're puttin' it out there! :smokin:

SLACKERS, SKATE PUNKS, AND HEADBANGERS UNITE! :cool:

6. Moosiebear

Moosiebear New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i730
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    That's interesting...i hadn't heard that. Thanks for the info.

It is a pretty cool website. Looks very "underground", doesn't it?

7. coalminer

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

You should see some of the advertising on some of the local cable systems, and on the radio. Before they changed their name, they were playing these commercials telling people to go to www.megawireless.biz. Pretty funny website, and now whenever you click on anything on that page, takes you straight to revol.

8. Cleveland Caller

Cleveland Caller New Member

The Megawireless commercial/site was amusing. It would be interesting to see how much traffic they had at that website though. I live in Cleveland and have only seen that commercial once (never would have caught the web address if my buddy hadn't given it to me). I've NEVER seen any advertising for Revol.

The Revol website looks awfully fake to me. It's like they are trying too hard to be cool (e.g. observer's earlier post here). The "Team" nicknames were really over the top. If an old man like me thinks that, I can only presume that a more "with it" young person will balk at it. My kids can spot a fake a mile away.

I guess their subscriber counts will tell the story... although we'll never know.

9. VTEC01EX

VTEC01EX Senior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung E105
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    When I was up in Cleveland last weekend I saw a Revol wireless ad run a few times on TV, and I believe I saw a billboard along I-77N just south of downtown. Every time I see it I just can't help but think that my national 1,000 minute/unlimited NW plan for $45.99 is a pretty fair compromise vs. Revol's $45ish all you can eat but only in Cleveland plan. I wonder how the network is up there too, I know a few years ago back in the Northcoast days it wasn't terribly reliable.

10. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I am glad they got rid of the name Northcoast PCS
    That name was perfect before they sold almost everthing to Verizon Wireless. Once that happened that name did not fit them.

11. observer

12. coalminer

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That article was interesting, but when they said they are going to expand into Columbus and Indianapolis, how are they going to acomplish that? Did they get some of PCS spectrum in the last auction?

By the way, when I used Northcoast, I found their coverage to be good in the areas they showed as covered on the map, for a PCS network, they did their homework and built a good network.

13. coalminer

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well, I figured out the answer to my own question, I read another article about them and it said through a partnership with CSM wireless they would start selling service in Columbus. In looking at the high bidders in the Auction 58, CSM bought 10mhz in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus Indiana, Columbus Ohio, New Castle PA, Indianapolis Indiana, and Portland Oregon.

Will be intersting to see how this all plays out.

14. robpaton

robpaton New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3585i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Revol
    I just had my service changed to Revol. I found it interesting that observer likes there web site.

I like it to, it's very smart. But what I'm paying for is phone service and customer care.

Too bad I can't set up an online account.

Too bad, I can't get customer service (non-existant) to reply to my e-mail concens about how I can access my voice mail. They changed the codes.

Too bad, when I try to call them I have to wait about twenty minutes, listening to advertisements, and then my call is dropped.

Too bad, if any of you sign up with them.

You can expect the same treatment.

As far as I am concerned, I'm finished with them next month. :(

15. observer

Too bad, indeed. Even though they are positioning themselves as being Revolutionary in every respect, you would be an example of customers still demanding a high level of service from their carrier.

Sounds like the old marketing joke of "price, quality, and service -- pick any two"! ;)

Only as Revol will soon find out, it's no joke. :eek:

QUESTION FOR YOU: Are you in the target demographic that is shown on their website?

16. svaughey

svaughey New Member

Does anyone have the phone number for Revol's (AKA Northcoast PCS) HQ's in Independencence,OH? Their own operators do not want to give it out.
    Thanks

17. ic0n

ic0n New Member

216-525-1100

I know alot of the numbers in this exchange will get you someone that works for revol/northcoast (Cleveland Unlimited)

18. ic0n

ic0n New Member

Revol Wireless buys Northcoast PCS, launches Ohio service
    By Dan Meyer
    Jul 7, 2005

Revol Wireless announced it has acquired Ohio-based Northcoast PCS, including its CDMA network and spectrum, and has begun offering a youth-oriented, no-contract unlimited calling and messaging service in Cleveland, Dayton and Toledo. Terms of the sale were not announced.

The Revol Wireless service includes unlimited local, long-distance and text messaging services for $47 per month in the Cleveland area, with customers able to add service in Dayton and Toledo for $3 per month. The carrier currently offers four handsets from Kyocera Corp. and Motorola Inc.

Revol sent a letter to former Northcoast customers informing them of the change and stating that it would continue to support their legacy services.

Northcoast signed an inter-carrier roaming agreement with Leap Wireless International Inc. last December that gives Leap's Cricket customers access to Northcoast's network in Cleveland. Northcoast sold 50 spectrum licenses in the 1.9 GHz band to Verizon Wireless in late 2002 for $750 million.

For more details on the Revol Wireless service, visit RCRNews.com's sister site, CrainsClevelandBusiness.com.

Wireless phone "Revol"-ution begins

By BRANDON GLENN

July 01. 2005 9:36AM

You say you want a revolution?

Revol, the brand name being used by an Independence-based wireless phone service company, is targeting customers too young to know who first put that question to music.

Cleveland Unlimited LLC, which operates Revol, offers unlimited minutes, text messaging and picture messaging for a flat fee of $47 per month with no monthly contract. Northeast Ohio is the first market in which the company is rolling out the service, which debuted June 20.

So why here?

Cleveland Unlimited’s CEO, Rocky Crossland, said two characteristics make the region an attractive market for his company’s business model: average age and average income.

“We’re great for high school students, college students or people who have their first job,” he said.

Indeed, from the company’s sponsorship of a radio program on Cleveland’s WXTM (FM 92.3), which is hosted by a disc jockey called Nard Boy, to the company’s categorization of clothing on its web site into “dude tees,” “chick tees” and “lids,” Revol appears to be aiming squarely at the youth market.

And for good reason, according to Charles Golvin, an analyst with technology research company Forrester Research Inc.

“The wireless market it approaching some sort of saturation level, and the youth market is the one area where that’s less the case,” he said.

Growing workforce

Last year Cleveland Unlimited bought the assets of wireless phone service company Northcoast PCS and made a $15 million investment to “beef up” Northcoast’s network infrastructure, Mr. Crossland said. Cleveland Unlimited has added about 30 employees to Northcoast’s Northeast Ohio work force, bringing the total to 160, he said, and plans to add 275 more employees in the next year.

“We built this company to be everything the wireless industry is not,” Mr. Crossland said. He said Revol’s service plans would appeal to people who “don’t like the tricks and gimmicks the wireless industry plays.”

While Revol’s business model may be relatively new to Northeast Ohio, it’s not unique, according to Mr. Golvin.

“There are a number of companies that take a similar approach,” he said.

As examples, Mr. Golvin offered up two companies, Dallas-based Metro PCS Inc. and San Diego-based Leap Wireless International Inc. In fact, Mr. Crossland worked for a unit of Leap, Cricket Communications, where he oversaw the company’s Tennessee operations.

Cricket offers service in Ohio, but not Northeast Ohio. A Toledo resident for $45 can get a plan similar to the one Revol is offering Northeast Ohio customers for $47.

Companies employing the flat monthly fee business model typically target customers who use their cell phones exclusively, without adopting a land line, or traditional home phone, Mr. Golvin said.

That’s just the kind of customer Bryan Pace of Revive Wireless is looking for.

Revive, a partner of Revol, sells Revol products only at four Northeast Ohio stores, and plans to open four more by the end of August, Mr. Pace said.

Mr. Pace said he became interested in partnering with Revol because the company has a “cool look and feel. It’s a non-traditional, go-against-the-grain type of wireless company.”

Mr. Pace also operates 12 stores that sell Cricket’s wireless products and service in Utah, Nevada and Idaho.

Boston backers

Cleveland Unlimited is backed primarily by two East Coast venture capital firms, Boston’s M/C Venture Partners and Virginia’s Columbia Capital Corp. Primus Venture Partners Inc. of Mayfield Heights also holds a stake in the company. Brian Clark, a vice president with M/C, would not reveal how much his company had invested or what percentage of Cleveland Unlimited M/C holds.

Revol has eight retail locations in the region, plus numerous authorized dealers like Mr. Pace. The company plans to expand into Columbus, Indianapolis and Portland, Ore., in the future, but Mr. Crossland would not say when.

For now, Revol appears to be hell-bent on establishing an edgy, rebellious image, even going as far as employing a “street team” of kids who attend local concerts and events to try to increase the brand’s visibility.

“Team Revol is taking to the streets in the underground fight against wireless oppression and leading the charge to give true freedom of speech back to the youth of America,” according to the company’s web site.

Just how many teens and young adults will buy into Revol’s version of corporate-sponsored revolution remains to be seen.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  19. svaughey

svaughey New Member

many thanks icon

20. ic0n

ic0n New Member

All in a days work. (for a phone phreak) :cool:

21. ic0n

ic0n New Member

More info...

Location OHIO
    Address
    Use code Assigned to a code holder (e.g., Wireless, ILEC, CLEC) for normal use.
    OCN 8711
    Company NORTHCOAST COMMUNICATIONS, LLC
    (NANPA has yet to update change)
    Local RC WILLOUGHBY For 440-341-xxxx
    Switch RCs [CLEVELAND] [INDEPNDNCE] [TERRACE] [WILLOUGHBY]
    CLLI INDPOHBB0MD
    IG G
    Switch type

Also serves 440-341 440-342 440-521 216-240 216-253 216-254 216-322 2 216-323 216-324 216-326 216-355 216-376

22. lariecma

lariecma New Member

I'm with you this is the worst service I have ever seen! You can't return the phones if you don't like the service. You can't return them if something is wrong with the phone they won't trade it off for another one so you are just stuck with this 200.00 dollar phone and sucking service

23. lariecma

lariecma New Member

This service is the worst yet! The phones don't work well and you can't get a signal in most places. It's impossible to download anything. Customer service is very poor and the return policy is you can't return the phone if you've used more than 60 minutes. Do you know how easy it is to use 60 min. before you find out something is wrong with the sevice or the phone itself. They won't trade off for another phone is something is wrong with your phone. I hate this company and it's nothing I can do about it. I could drop the service, but then what do i do with this 200.00 dollar phone?! Does anyone know where to download ringers for revol other than their site?:mad:

24. observer

Does anyone know if Revol got its handset insurance off the ground? Last time I visited their website they said it was under review by the Ohio Deptartment of Insurance.

Insurance? On Pay-In-Advance? Intriguing.:confused:

25. observer

Revol looks to Toledo, Youngstown
    By BRANDON GLENN

10:25 am, November 10, 2005

Wireless phone service provider Revol is expanding its service into Canton, Sandusky, Toledo and Youngstown.

Cleveland Unlimited Inc., which operates under the brand Revol, purchased 15 megahertz of personal communications service spectrum from San Diego-based Leap Wireless International Inc., according to a statement from Revol. The purchase enables Revol to operate in Sandusky and Toledo. Terms of the deal were not released.

The deal still must receive the approval of the Federal Communications Commission, according to the statement.

Revol obtained the rights to operate in Canton and Youngstown with the purchase of 10 megahertz of spectrum from a subsidiary of T-Mobile, according to the statement. That deal already has closed.

Revol officials expect to roll out service to Canton and Youngstown in early 2006 and Sandusky and Toledo later next year.

26. etniesman12

etniesman12 New Member

Does Anyone know how the Ringtones work for These Revol phones???? or what network they are on??? is it CDMA or what cause i cant find anything on ringtones for Revol phones??? thx for any help in advance..

Andrew

27. coalminer

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I was checking out Revols website and noticed that they show Cricket's Pittsburgh coverage area as an extended area.

After its all said and done, Revol is going to be the way to go, they will have an extremly large coverage area, and if they expand the roaming agreement with Cricket, maybe someday their customers will be able to roam in any of Crickets areas!!!!

What I would like to see is Metro PCS join into this also, can you imagine unlimted service for $50 a month and the combined coverage of all of these providers?

Oh, and by the way, when it comes to ringtones and games for phones, you have to go directly from them or buy a cable and load them that way, and yes, they are CDMA.

28. coalminer

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I noticed a couple of new panels on a couple of towers here in Warren, when I stopped and looked at them, they said Revol on the electric meters. The one thing that is odd is that they dont have any numbers assigned to them in the 330 or 234 area code for the Warren / Youngstown area.

After further checking, they do have numbers assigned to them in the 614 area code (Columbus) that according to the site were supposed to go active 12/25. I wonder when they are planning to launch service in these 2 markets?

I wonder also if they are going to try to connect the Cleveland service area to the Warren area? I would think they would cover I80 the entire way, but I travel US Rt 422, I sure hope they decide to cover that route.

One other thing I noticed when looking at Crickets website, it says service in Cincinatti is coming soon. I hope they decide to add this area to the extended coverage area. The last time I looked at their site, it didnt say anything about roaming on Revol in Cleveland, but now it does, it shows their coverage map as an extended service area.

29. coalminer

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The network in Warren is starting to come alive, 2 of the 3 towers closest to my house are now up and running, I dont know what sid they are using right now, but I will try to figure that out. I just checked, they do have numbers assigned to them in the Youngstown are, they have the 330 prefix in the 330 area code, thats odd. I tried to dial on of those numbers, not a revol recording.

I wonder if the network in Columbus is starting to light up, if there is anyone who lives there can try to dial *22804 and see if they are able to connect to anything.

30. coalminer

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Check out Revol's website now, they have the maps up for all the new service areas, Younstown, Columbus and Indianpolis, totally new site, pretty cool!!!!!