1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement phone activation.

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by grazzzy, Feb 28, 2008.

1. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member Junior Member

One of the kids lost his phone and i bought a V-262 ALLTEL phone for him to use until the good one turns up. With the help of the alltel hotline we tried to activate it, but the *228 wouldn't work because i'm in an area where alltel piggybacks from verizon towers. when i dial 611 with the phone, i get the "thanks for calling alltel" and they recognize the correct number, but dialing any other number gives me verizon wireless. we also tried to manually activate the phone with the 74**3#menu/menu method and got the same result. Is there any way to activate the phone other than taking it back to my home base area? i'll be there next week, but i'm kind of curious as to how the system works. thanks. :confused:

2. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member Senior Member

If manual programming didn't work, you'll have to use an Alltel tower.

3. grazzzy

thanks, i kinda' figured that.

4. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member Senior Member

You could call CS via a landline at 1-800-Alltel1 and have CS walk you through a manual activation.

5. grazzzy

i tried the manual with CS, and all we could pick up was a verizon tower. I'm headed to my home base area monday and it should activate there.

6. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member Senior Member

A manual activation does not require the phone to hit ANY tower. It is all done manually. You may not be able to test it afterwards without roaming charges, depending on your rate plan, but you CAN manually enter the proper data - even in an area that has NO cell service at all.

7. grazzzy

that's what we thought too, but the only alltel service we get is when dialing 611. everything else gives us a verizon message. funny thing is we can even check minutes of use [-0- since the old phone was lost at the end of the billing period], but no incoming or outgoing calls.

8. grazzzy

You were right after all. i tried again today with a different rep. the guy the other night had me read numbers from under the battery and this guy had me go into the menus of the phone for the i.d. #. works like a charm now. thanks for the heads up.