1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ARE YOU HAVING PASSWORD PROBLEMS? If so, please tell me by email : [email protected]

PRL code Sprint ( What does it do?)

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by WBOOPA, Dec 31, 2001.

1. WBOOPA

WBOOPA Junior Member Junior Member

What is exactly the PRL code. What does the PRL code do. I have gotten a few PRL upgrades in the past, I have not seen any difference in service, exspecially when it comes to dropped calls.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Can somebody also tell us what PRL stands for?

Thanks!

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Junior Member Junior Member

Preferred Roaming List...it is a list of SIDS (System IDs) that the carrier has roaming agreements with. When your carrier updates their roaming agreements they in turn need to update your PRL. PRL is a CDMA term so you probably have Verizon or Sprint service. I know Verizon does PRL updates over the air but I'm not sure about Sprint. You probably won't notice reception differences with an updated PRL, only coverage improvements. Sometimes carriers expand service areas and that too can be impacted by an updated PRL.

Tom

4. larry

larry Go Lakers! Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Optimus G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yes Sprint also does them over the air. The latest is 10014 which can't yet be done OTA as of 12/30/01.

5. larry

My Phone:
    LG Optimus G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The latest PRL list for Sprint, (10014) gives you the ability to digital roam with a tri-mode phone in South America and Hong Kong. Other than that it's not necessary for the US.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Could you tell me what SIDS are present in the SPCS prl? Is this known?

jason

7. larry

My Phone:
    LG Optimus G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    As far as I know it's kept private.

8. Tommyboy

And it probably contains 400 different sids, a little too many to list here.

But Larry is right, it's confidential and the carriers guard them very closely.

Tom

9. Guest

Guest Guest

If PRL's are so secret, why are they published all over everywhere. I'd aim you at Bill Radio's site (www.mountainwireless.com) for starters.

10. Tommyboy

I didn't see the breakdown of a PRL on Bill's website. Where do I need to look? Also, there's alot of people who know what the list of sids are in the PRL but that doesn't make them not a secret. I too know what the PRL consists of for Sprint but I'm not at liberty to disclose.

Tom

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Links to the current Verizon PRL list are at the bottom of the Verizon Pros & Cons page. The direct URL to the PRL page is:

http://pages.prodigy.net/billradio/50014.txt

I am keeping the previous PRL in my phone because it does not roam on to 1900 MHz in markets where Verizon already has 800 MHz service. That list is at:

http://pages.prodigy.net/billradio/50011.txt

Another user has decoded the Sprint PRL list for a Single-Band phone, and he has posted it at:

http://www.bridog.net/cellular/sprint.txt

-Bill Radio
    -www.mountainwireless.com

12. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Note3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Larry, Tom:

don't you just love it? The moment we state something as fact, someone comes along and throws mud in our face. Its happening too often to me lately. I think I'll invest a face guard.

:)

Kevin

13. jason

jason Member

A few questions about the PRL:

I am much more familiar with the TDMA platform and the working with the contents of an irdb which has preferred, favored, home and forbidden sids.

1) How does the delineation of favored SIDS work within the PRL? Are there "forbidden sids" or does it solely concern "preferred" ones? In other words, is a nonpreferred sid automatically an forbidden one?

2) Does the PRL for SPCS (this is for those who know) encompass analog roaming partners?

3) How does the NID play in the PRL - from the text in the decoded prl, it appears that NID can be used to distinguish a preferred from nonpreferred network.

4) How does SPCS utilize NIDs? The only ones I have seen in action (in my limited SPCS experience) have been a NID=1 in the 4162 SID for Horizon PCS properties. Perhaps NIDs are given to affiliates?

jason

14. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Note3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Jason,

Regarding item #2: Just two postings above yours, Bill Radio posted the text dump link for PRL 50014. It plainly shows AMPs sids.

15. Tommyboy

Thanks Bill for the links.