1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Porting multiple family plan VW cell numbers to Tracfones

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by MingoFan, Mar 1, 2011.

1. MingoFan

MingoFan New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless and Tracfone
    Hi,

In the interest of saving money, we're considering giving up our Verizon Family Plan w/2 extra lines and attempting to port all three cell phone numbers to new Tracfones.

Has anyone tried this? Successfully? Any suggestions? I read on another forum -- it wasn't this exact situation, but similar with muitple ports -- that we should definitely port the secondary numbers first, as porting the primary plan number will shut off the entire plan (and the 2 secondary phones). Does this sound right?

Just looking for any info I can get before attempting this :help: Personally, I don't really care if I keep my Verizon cell # or not, but i'm one of the secondarys. My husband is the primary and has had his cell number for forever and really wants to keep it. I did successfully port our Verizon land line (home phone) to a Tracfone last year, so it seems like porting our cells would be possible.

Thanks in advance!

2. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    I've never ported a number, but since you've already successfully ported your landline number to TracFone, it seems porting your wireless family plan lines will also be doable. (Keep in mind that if you are under contract on any of the lines, you will incur an early termination fee for each line of service that is still under contract.)

And doing the secondary lines of service first, then the primary line separately and later seems to make sense - just to be on the safe side - in case there are any problems with the port process on the primary line.

I would think TracFone customer service could help answer your questions re: the port process re: a multiple line account coming from another carrier; but I'd keep in mind the experiences you've already seen from users and just use customer service's information as additional "confirmation" (or with at least some skepticism if it seems contradictory) since many times CS answers can tend to be oriented toward "sales". ;)

3. MingoFan

MingoFan New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Thank you, hme! I haven't proceeded with any of this because my husband wants to actually look at the tracfone he thinks he's going to get (LG420G). But if he's okay with it physically, then we'll go forward with the plan. Regarding our contract, the last time we actually renewed the plan was pre-2008 and when I go into our VWireless account, it shows we're "month-to-month" so I'm going with the assumption that we're long past any termination fee, but with VW, I guess I wouldn't be surprised by anything - they seem to find a way to charge for everything.

I'll probably come back and report on our progress with the whole family porting concept once it's underway. The land line went far more smoothly than I expected given everything I've read about trying to deal with Tracfone customer service, and given that I'm normally a somewhat pessimistic person :rolleyes: I'm figuring something about doing all this will probably go awry.

But I appreciate your take on what I'm trying to do - thank you!!

4. rjniles

rjniles Junior Member

My Phone:
    MOTO X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    From the Tracpone web site:

Start transferring my number from another company

For a list of Frequently Asked Questions please click here.

Information You will Need

The following information is required and can be found on your billing statement or by contacting your current service provider:

* Your Account Number
    * Your Password or PIN*
    * Your contact Information as it is registered with your current service provider

*Some service providers may not require the use of a password or PIN. If you are unsure whether or not you have one, please contact your service provider since you will need this information to complete your request.

Portability Terms and Conditions
    To Port In your existing telephone number to your TRACFONE and obtain wireless service provided by TRACFONE Wireless, Inc., you (the Subscriber) must agree to the following Terms and Conditions:

1. In order to transfer or port in your phone number to TracFone Wireless, Inc. you must have a TracFone wireless phone.
    2. The number you are Porting must be active with your old service provider.
    3. The Port could take up to two business days.
    4. If you switch your home telephone number to TRACFONE, your home telephone service will be disconnected.
    5. You must keep your TRACFONE service active by adding airtime within TRACFONE's guidelines for maintaining active service. For further information, please review TracFone Wireless’ Terms and Conditions of Service.
    6. If the ZIP Code associated to the phone number is not the ZIP Code for your local calling area your TracFone will be roaming in your local calling area.
    7. If your TRACFONE service does not remain active, you will lose your wireless TRACFONE Number. Click here to read about Service Extension Plans, which will help ensure this does not happen.
    8. Until the porting process is completed, should you need to call 911 for emergency assistance, you must give the 911 operator your location as the 911 operator will not be able to reach you until the port process is completed.

Here is the site

https://www.tracfone.com/direct/Port?app=TRACFONE&lang=en&coming_from=activation

5. MingoFan

MingoFan New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Thank you! And I did all those steps when I ported our land line home phone last year, and it worked fine. My question has more to do with porting three numbers that are all connected under one Verizon Wireless family plan, because I'd like to successfully keep all three of our cell phone numbers in the porting process. To my knowledge, Tracfone doesn't really address the question of multiple lines that are currently under one plan with another company. It should work the same, but since there's an added level of complication, we'll see how it goes :) .

I just wondered if anyone else had done this (porting a family of lines) before and had any tips or suggestions.

Thanks!

6. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    For that concern, you would need to talk to VZW. I was under the impression that if you port out the primary number, then one of the other numbers becomes the primary, but checking with VZW or simply porting the secondary numbers first would be safer. You could also ask VZW to separate the numbers into separate lines, but that would incur some extra charges until you port out.

Have you looked at Page Plus? You can port to them and keep your VZW phone.

7. MingoFan

MingoFan New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Thank you - I probably should just bite the bullet and call Verizon Wireless about the porting order.

Honestly, I'd never even heard of Page Plus until I found this forum and was reading various posts. I looked around the PP website just now, but it still looks more complicated to me than Tracfone. Here's the appeal of Tracfone for me -- with our land line, I ported the number to a phone that has automatic double minutes, then I purchased a 1-yr/400-minute (which becomes 800 minutes) card and, boom, I'm done. I don't have to think about that phone again till next July and after 7 months we still have more than 500 minutes left. So the simplicity of setting up the phones for a year and then not having to worry about them is really what I'm going for, along with the drastic savings from $130/mo down to about $350/yr. With Page Plus and Virgin and VW's pay-as-you-go and some others I looked at earlier at Walmart, everyone else seems to expect a monthly payment or renewing of more minutes after 120 days or something that just makes it more complicated than my husband will ever deal with or just as expensive as the family plan we have now.

But having said all that, our local Walmart doesn't have the LG420G Tracfone he thinks he wants, so I'm guessing we'll be discussing the whole plan a little longer :rolleyes:

8. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    1 person likes this.
  9. MingoFan

MingoFan New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Ooh! Thank you - that might work! I don't see it on their website, though, when I look through all the plans. How would I get it - there is no dealer anywhere near me (I looked)?

10. hme83

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    You're welcome. :) Sounds like you should not have to pay any early termination fees.

I'm not familiar with Page Plus and of course I'm not in your area - but I do know someone with TracFone service who has been very pleased with it. As you state, it's much simpler to maintain compared to the carrier based prepaid options, such as AT&T. And additionally, this user experiences none of the AT&T network congestion issues that I do on at&t's post paid service, even though their TracFone is using the at&t network. lol.

Do you know friends/family members with at&t service in your area? If so, you may want to see if they are happy with the network/their coverage, etc? The LG 420g that your husband wants is a GSM phone, which means it can only be used with TracFone service on their GSM network (provided by at&t, AFAIK). Coming from Verizon Wireless, you are accustomed to service on a CDMA network, which TracFone also provides - but I believe the network being used is selected by them for each geographical area depending on which offers the better coverage.

11. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yeah, I noticed PP doesn't carry the $80 card on their site either. It's also not that obvious that they charge $0.50/month, so you only get $74 worth out of the card. There are a few online options for the card if you do go that route, but I've never dealt with them before:
    Calling Cards | Prepaid Wireless Minutes | Phone Cards | Prepaid Airtime Wireless Refill from CallingMart
    PrepaidOnline.com Instant Prepaid Phone Cards, Wireless Refill Cards and online Shopping Mall
    Page Plus Dealer - Your One Stop Shop, For All your PagePlus Needs!

After reading this though: PagePlus now has $80 for 2000 minutes good for one year
    I think Tracfone will still win for pure simplicity. PagePlus customer service is not so great and the billing and rates are cheap, but complex.

12. MingoFan

MingoFan New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Just a quick update. I went ahead and got the LG420G Tracfone with an AT&T SIM card in it and suscessfully (as of this afternoon) ported my secondary Verizon Wireless family plan number over. Yay! AND -- big plus for me -- I did it all online without having to call them (I'm not a fan of trying to deal with people over the phone - I just sort of suck at it and get frustrated very easily). After that was done, I logged onto our VW account and sure enough, my line was marked as removed from service. Next up is our son's line, which is our other secondary line. Then DH may just stay with Verizon and switch from the family plan to the individual $39.99/mo plan.

13. hme83

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Glad to hear that things seem to be going well with it so far - let us know how it all turns out! Hopefully smoothly. :)