1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor signal inside house, outside OK. Please help (T-Mobile)

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey,
    I just got T-Mobile and i get NO reception inside my room and very little throught the house. I have to stand at the doorstep to get signal and good signal a couple steps outside. I get great signal outdoors and indoors in school and on the road...

My dad has Sprint PCS and he gets close to full signal inside the house. This is really sad news because I have a year contract with them and being unable to recieve calls in my room just sucks [​IMG]

I have a Motorola V60g with T-Mobile

Areas around me are covered with T-mobile: (Arcadia, CA - Pasadena, CA - Alhambra, CA) and although it dosent say my city on the "popup city list" at t-mobile.com, it should cover because its a small city in a populated area in South Cali.

I live in Temple City, CA....anyone with advice on how to get a better signal or what to do, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

-UnR1

2. karmannghia

karmannghia Junior Member

Are you within your first 15 days?? If so, you can still cancel.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah I am within my first 15 days. I think I may cancel and sign up with Sprint, Verizon or ATT.

I get good signal outside the house..so its not the phone. Well..i'll talk to T-Mobile, if they can't do anything about it, i'll cancel.

-UnR1

4. karmannghia

Be careful not to get screwed around for too long. If you go over your 15 days, you are pretty stuck with what you've got. I have heard the v60g gets good reception, so I think the problem is that T-Mobile just doen't work in your house. If that's the case, is it that important.

I have Sprint and I didn't have service in my house. From the boards, I bought the Sanyo 4900 and now I have great reception in the house. The only problem is, I wanted a smaller phone. Anyway, check the boards to see if there is another phone with better reception. Otherwise, if you need it inside your house, cancel and go elsewhere. Everyone, except for Verizon, is offering great plans right now.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

yeah, it's really important for me to get signal in the house...lol

I guess i'll cancel and look elsewhere. Maybe a good shared minutes plan for me and my sister. Any suggestios?

thanks.

6. karmannghia

If AT&T works for you, they have $60 for 1000 anytime minutes on their GSM Charter plans. I think mobile to mobile is extra. I personally did not like AT&T, but you might.

Sprint offers $85 for 2000 minutes with unlimited N&W and mobile to mobile. This is a great deal if Sprint works in your area. Most people I know in LA though, do not get good reception up there.

T-Mobile and cingular are going to have similar reception.

Verizon's plans aren't cheap, but you'll get decent reception in LA from what I've heard. I think they have $75 for 650 minutes on a local plan. I think mobile to mobile is extra. Not cheap.

I know way too much about these damn things!!!

7. larry

larry Go Lakers!
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG G3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint in LA gets great reception as long as you don't travel North of Sunset to the wealthy neighborhoods. I've been all through LA so I know from first hand experience.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

HI UNr!.....

My recommendation to you would be to go with Verizon. Verizon works well in Alhambra, San Gabriel, Monterey Park, Pasadena and Arcadia. My bf lives in SG, so I am in those cities pretty often, I had Cingular and the reception is not so good in those cities.....but since I switch over to Verizon I don't have any problems making or receiving calls. Verizon is a bit more pricy than other carriers, but the service is great!!

angela

9. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I cannot beleive Verizon is 75$ for 650 minutes, thats way too expensive for a local plan, that cannot be right.

10. karmannghia

That is the for family share in San Diego. The plans out here are not that good, although I heard they may get better.

Local DigitalChoiceFamily Share Plan 650 - Primary Line $55 Additional line $20 with $4.99 for 1000 n&W = 650 minutes for $75

Americas Choice Family Share Plan 550 - Primary Line $5 Additional line $20 with $4.99 1000 n&W = 550 minutes for $75

I've heard such good things about Verizon, but their plans are soooo much more expensive and their phones aren't cheap either.

11. Venedotia

Venedotia New Member

Verizon launched new promotions yesterday so if you get any plan through them as part of the promotion you will get bonus minutes. For instance the 350 local plan would get 150 bonus minutes. Yes they are expensive but that is because of their network. If you want more minutes go with someone else, if you want the comfort of knowing you have the best coverage then go with Verizon.

~Vene

12. 714tmobile

714tmobile Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    It's the luck of having a one cell site closer to your house than another; I have the same problem. In my reasoning, I do not use the phone very much at home to begin with (because I have a home phone) and if need be, I'll fwd my calls to my house. T-Mobile gives you an extra 500 Minutes for Voicemail and/or call forwarding (instead of charging you an extra $0.10 per min like Sprint or Cingular, don't know what Verizon's is). My incentive to stay with T-mobile was the minutes and coverage in/around my house has improved in the last three months. I can make/receive calls anywhere in my condo complex (Stanton, CA) and on the second story of my condo; on the first floor, i'll get 1 bar and barely be able to make a call... I know that AT&T has no reception in my area (on GSM, two friends of mine have AT&T) and Sprint has little (only if you're at the front gate), and Verizon gets 1 bar (have to go outside to make calls).

I say if you require coverage over amount of minutes, Verizon would be your best bet; otherwise, stay w/ T-Mobile for the minutes alone.

On a side note, I have to share...

My bldg mgmt is in talks to allow cell providers (specifically T-Mobile now...soon Verizon and Sprint, but T-mobile has shown the most interest) to put up macro-cells in the complex. Reason being that many of the residents are complaining about cell coverage (i was suprised when i saw this on the HOA meeting roster last week). We'll see what happens. [​IMG]

13. spyder22

spyder22 Junior Member

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Verizon is actually terrible around u.s.c. the phones show 4 bars, when you call it, it won't ring. Goes to voicemail. Happens on three company phones. they suck

15. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Maybe you could try forwarding your cellphone calls to your home phone when you get ready to enter your home. It only takes a couple of seconds to do, and you can do it from your handset.

16. danny boi

danny boi Dazed and Confused

My Phone:
    HTC myTouch 4G™
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    [​IMG] If your signal indicator shows four bars and your'e unable to make or receive calls, there is obviously some kind of EMI (electro-magnetic interferance) or maybe the network is crowded. I'm sure it can't be all the time. Mobile handsets don't always work great everywhere. Check your network settings and make sure it is correctly configured for either your home area or select "automatic" and the phone will do it for you. Besides Verizon Wireless is known for the largest and in my opinion, the best nationwide coverage. I travel a lot and have used every service provider. Each has their great points and their weaknesses' in different areas. Yeah VZ Wireless does not work everywhere, but I've never found a service provider who has the most consistant coverage as they do. They may not be the cheapest, but try getting a Lexus at the price of a Geo Metro. Sometimes you'll pay more for better coverage...Good luck...

17. tuneout

tuneout New Member

I was told that low-frequency phones/network works better inside the building because it goes thru the walls (e.g. bass from stere), whereas high-frequency signals tends to scatter when it hits the wall...

18. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG]...You're absolutely right...Lower frequencies tend to penetrate buildings better. If possible, when choosing a wireless provider, see if they support multi-network or multi-band phones. At least you'll have a backup frequency if one or the other is not available.

19. 714tmobile

714tmobile Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    'tis true...but you get more clarity on higher frequencies (1.9Ghz vs. 800Mhz).

Case in point.... How much clearer was 900Mhz cordless than 47Mhz? 2.4Ghz?

Honestly, I can't really tell the difference except to say that I've noticed GSM has a little more *crisper* sound....more landline-like