1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Over-the-Air Programming

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by CrystalSet, Jul 12, 2004.

1. CrystalSet

CrystalSet New Member

With help from Roamer1, I now understand what is going on with the new SHARED banner on my AT&T TDMA phone. I can see that using a private network to change the banner when you are in your home area is a convenience for customers.

My phone is old enough that I’m guessing it was probably not programmed with a private network when I got it and AT&T programmed it when I changed plans.

So how does over-the-air (OTA) programming work? An out-of -band channel, part of the control mechanism, a secret code in SMS? Do I need to read the specs or does someone know the answers?

Have there been mistakes in OTA programming? How is the security? Is it possible that hackers might be able to reset everyone’s phones?

2. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    My roomate last month wanted the AT&T banner off so I went into the settings of his phone a removed it.

3. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1030
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Western Wireless
    It wasn't until you gave me the idea just now. I'm going to start working on that and I'll get back to you in about a month... by reprogramming your phone OTA to say Rancidhooligan Is The Man! :D

4. Shizam76

Shizam76 Shizam! Babyyyyy! Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    :D Rancid.....please program it to say Shizam! Baby! Yeah! when in roaming. ;)