1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Net10 Features

Discussion in 'PRE-PAID Cell Phone Companies and Plans' started by neh, Nov 28, 2006.

1. neh

neh Member

What features does Net10 offer. Do they offer mobile web for normal web page viewing? Also, I heard that they use Verizon,Cingular and many more but I thought that Verizon was CDMA and Cingular was GSM so how will the phone be able to use both?

2. Quint101

Quint101 THE (Samsung) Beast

Wirelessly posted (Q's Mobile Device: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/2.0.4719/1378; en; U; ssr))

Net10 uses Cingular, TMobile, or other GSM carrier. I'm not aware of their web offerings, you may want to check them out at net10.com . Net10 doesn't use cdma at all, unlike its parent, Tracfone.

3. neh

neh Member

When I asked they said that they use CDMA too. I still don't understand how that is possiable.

Dear Customer, Thank you for your interest in Net10Wireless, we are responding to your recent inquiry. The map that is displayed on our web site is an approximation, actual coverage areas may vary, depending on the local carrier. Net10 provides nationwide prepaid wireless coverage by piecing together the best networks from Verizon Wireless, Cingular Wireless, AT&T, ALLTEL and many others. TracFone has created a national footprint covering 99% of the U.S. population, so that whether you are in your home area or traveling, you should be able to receive service, as long as cellular service is available in that area. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know. Net10 Wireless, Inc.

4. neh

neh Member

Does anyone understand what they mean?

5. Microwave Mike

Microwave Mike New Member

I just ordered a Net10 phone myself, and I was wondering the same thing.

I'm just guessing about this. Maybe they offer service over GSM or CDMA in a given area, depending on whichever one the actual network operator uses. If you live in an area where they offer service using a GSM network, they send you a GSM phone. If you live in an area where the offer service over a CDMA network, they send you a CDMA phone. One thing that makes me think this is I've seen a couple different coverage maps by putting different zip codes in at their site. There might be more than two different coverage maps, but I've only seen two that look unique after putting in several zip codes from around the country. I'm guessing one map is if for people who have CDMA phones, and the other is for people with GSM phones.

Again, I'm just guessing. Can anyone confirm this?

6. Microwave Mike

Oh...and about features. I haven't received my phone yet, so I'm going to do some more semi-educated guessing. I couldn't find much on their site about Web features. In there terms and conditions, I did find:

I'm guessing whether Web access is available depends on the network you are using and the phone you have, and that's probably why they don't say much about it on their site. I think Net10 probably uses Cingular in my area, so I'm hoping Web access will be available here. I went ahead and ordered the Motorola V176, which supports WAP 2.0. I've never used the Web from a cell phone, so I figured I'd see what it's all about. I'm expecting it to be fairly useless, but I could be wrong. I don't think I'll use it much because 10 cents per minute is too expensive to surf the Web with no keyboard and on a 2-inch screen, or any size screen really.

7. Microwave Mike

I just looked at this thread. The two map links supplied by Quint101 match the two maps I got using different zip codes. Here are the links again:

http://www.net10.com/images/covmaps2/t-mobile_map_sm.jpg

http://www.net10.com/images/covmaps2/1100P_NATIONMAP.jpg

Looking at this, it makes me think those two maps represent two different GSM bands, and not GSM vs CDMA like I thought. The phone I ordered is supposed to support GSM 850 and 1900. I wonder if it will work in both coverage areas or if a given phone can only be set up to operate in one area or the other. I certainly hope mine will work in both, but then why would they have two maps?

8. Quint101

I think that they have the two maps in case the preferred company (Cingular or other 850 band company) does not have service in the area where the phone is activated. AFAIK, the Net10 phones are capable of working on 850 and 1900; I dont see why it wouldnt work wherever a compatible signal available. If I activated a phone in a 1900 only area (i.e. TMobile) and the phone didnt work in a 850 area, then obviously, it's not the phone but the underlying carrier and its lack of roaming agreements. I hope this makes sense.

9. Quint101

Oh yeah, also, the "Cingular" map has 850 and 1900 on it (since Cingy uses both); the "Tmobile" one appears to have 1900 only.

10. Harold938

Harold938 Banned

i got net10 and my view is that

for 10 cent you can beat:)

but for that if you call CS and you have to deal with a person :mad:

1.with little or no english:mad:
    2.you ask a question and they have a HEAVY accent :mad:
    3.you ask a question and you get a recording :mad:
    4.net10 HQ is in miami but CS is base in india and south america :eek:

"suprise suprise ":loony:

but hey when i call these let me give you a piece of advice "have some good patience you gonna need it" :censored:

11. manz9

manz9 New Member

Am I tech stupid or Net10 is designed to eat away your purchased minutes? First it would not let me register on line if I didn't use US zip code. I am Canadian currently in Puerto Rico for vacation. Now all my messages from Net10 are in Spanish. Try to find a place that would change the language. GOOD LUCK.

Next was a call to 1-877 number and 20 minutes of roaming charges but Hey what great saving will I have later???

Time came to call home with announcement "Guess what??? No more roaming charges. Got myself a new phone.

Great if I could make it work.

Message to Net 10 Change the name to Net 0

Would I recommend this phone to anyone else, Only when hell freezes over.

12. jamdoc

jamdoc New Member

Hi,
    I am a net10 user, presently using a nokia 1600, I want to use a different handset by switching the same sim card to my new phone. when i called the CS i was told that net10 sim is only programmed to work with net10 phones. any ideas where i can find a similar prepaid service where i can use my own phone?

13. lbrander2001

lbrander2001 New Member

I wrote this on another forum, so copying and pasting it here also for comments.

I've done a bit of searching and talking to some people who deal with various cell phones, compa nies and Plans. I've come to the conclusion that any pay as you go plan, be it AT&T, Verizon, Tracfone, etc. goes like this. They suupposedly don't make the money off these plans that they do with some of the other over priced plans they offer. so the end result is that the pay as you go phones only offer minimum, barebones bandwith with their plans, just enough to get some service in some areas, but away from that area your on your own. The so called pay as you go plans may offer roaming for awhile (as per a so called agreement, which thay can cancell /turn off after a short while), to get you hooked on that particular company, then they shut it off so that you'll be tempted to get a better plan from them, after you get fed up with the pay as you go plans. They tell you that this phone or that phone is best or will work with this plan or that, but in the end the service will probably be still lousey and you'll then be paying more for it. Bottom line is money and greed rules the world. All I can say is, if you want a phone, either land line or cell, buyer beware. Companies come out with this and that so called new technology and the systems they have to support it haven't been upgraded to handle it. Thus you have poor service and coverage. Like trying to put a bandaid over a major would. Like Bushes so called stimulous plan. You pay up the nose for service and it goes into someones pocket. If these companies would spend the money on their infrastructure to improve and develpe it, they would have better service and not have to play catch up. You see this time after time in more ways than one. Just look around. Doesn't matter wheather its At&t or the Feds. JMO

14. lbrander2001

lbrander2001 New Member

The reason I've made the above post is, that I have bought a Tracfone, Motorola W370. I activated over my computer and it worked perfectly from Feb 18th, 08. My mother was having problems with her land line phone and asked about my Tracfone. Showed it to her and explained how it worked and she decided to get one. We got it, ported over her home phone number and activated her phone using my computer at my home. Once activated I took her phone to her on June 10th 08 after charging up the battery, etc. The phone worked fine at my house, but had NO servide at her house, same zip code area. I then checked my phone and NO service to my phone at her home either, where it worked perfectly a few days prior. I've contacted Tracfone CS and sent numerous emails for advice, but nothing as yet to correct the problem. I'm currently trying to see if roaming is activated on the 2 phones we have. We live along the US/Canadian border in northern NY, so wondering if i was possibly picking up Canadian AT&T/Cingular towers and now have been somehow blocked. The areas where the phone now doesn't work is along the US/Canadian border, between Ogdensburg, NY 13669 to almost Alexandria Bay NY, 13607 a distance of about 50 miles. As said my own phone worked fine there before and now everything is dead, unless I drive into a larger city along the US side of the border. My mother's phone will work at times and has a 4 to 5 bar signal, but for the most parts she can't make or receive calls. Most calls she gets go to an unactivaated voice mail because there is No service. This has been frustrating for the both of us. Any suggestions or comments about this would be appreciated. lbrander2001.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  15. lbrander2001

lbrander2001 New Member

Hello to all. Finally got an email responce from Tracfone as follows:

Thank you for your interest in TracFone Wireless. We are responding to
    your recent inquiry.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any
    inconvenience you may have experienced with this issue.

Roaming feature is automatically activated on your phone upon
    activation. Please be informed that roaming indicator will not display
    on the main screen of your phone if your are in your local calling area
    where you activated your phone. Our records indicate that you will be
    deducted for a single rate when your phone is in roaming mode.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact one of
    our customer care representatives at 1-800-867-7183 . For your
    convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Saturday from 8:00
    AM to 9:45 PM EST, and on Sunday from 8:00 AM to 6:45 PM EST.

Thank you for being a TracFone Wireless customer. We appreciate your
    business.

Sincerely,

TracFone Wireless

16. lbrander2001

lbrander2001 New Member

I've been talking to another person on another forum and he believes that Rodgers of canada has cancelled it's roaming funtion on all its towers in canada. That may explain why there is No longer any service from the Ogdensburg, NY 13669 area to almost the Alexandria Bay, NY 13607 zip code area along the St. Lawrence River area. It would seem that AT&T or someone should either get a better agreement regarding roaming or get more towers in this area or better use of existing towers it may use or lease. This has become just one pain in the butt for people who expect service in this area. Don't expect the problem to be resolved anytime soon , it at all. Take care.

17. Associate

Associate New Member

Is there any way to use my Net10 phone in Santiego, Chile ?.... Not a joke.... Cruise....

18. M in LA

M in LA Gold Senior Member
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Contact Net10 by phone or try their site: NET10 Wireless - Pay As You Go Made Simple

They do have International calling ability. Explain what you want to do and see what they offer.

19. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

As is the case with TracFone, the Terms and Conditions state the phone cannot be used outside of the U.S. or its possessions to make and/or receive calls.

While in the U.S. or its possessions, calls to certain international countries can be made, however. Instructions for this are on the Net10 web site.

20. M in LA

M in LA Gold Senior Member
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood what their site says regarding "International" service. Once I read the FAQ, it said the same thing you mentioned.