1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is LG a good cell phone brand?

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by Etorres777, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now.. Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    I am considering the LG G4015, but I don't know if I should. Is it good at receiving signal? Is the menu user friendly? Is it damaged easily? Things like that.. anyone's input is greatly appreciated!

Eddie

2. stratfink

stratfink Junior Member Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    LG makes a very solid and reliable cell phone. They just recently started making phones for GSM so I am not sure how they work on that technology. Overall RF seems to be very good on my VX4400 and on many other models that I've read about. User interface is extremely simple, you don't even need to use the owner's manual. As far as build quality, I would say most of their phones have a very substantial feel when you hold it and place it to your ear. Some of the clear plastic lenses on the phones I heard can be fragile but can be replaced if you call their customer support. I have had my LG for about a year and it has been very dependable.

3. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    For CDMA LG is very good. For GSM...well, they don't really have a track record as far as GSM goes. For GSM I personally prefer Nokia, but that' just me. ;)

-SC

4. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    LG's seem to be pretty good phones on the Verizon Wireless network. LG's through Sprint PCS seemed to be iffy. As far as GSM goes I personally wouldn't get a LG. There too new and have a unproven track record in the GSM world. From what I have heard Cingular's LG phones aren't that good.

5. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Eddie, LG makes very good phones. Probably 99% of the people on this forum rave about the LG4400. Yet, it all depends on what you are looking for. I would suggest choosing 2 or 3 phones that interest you. Go to www.phonescoop.com and read the reviews on these phones as well as the description. Take your time, I am sure that the phone you get now, will be the one you will own for a while. Try not to be swayed by cute faceplates or nice ring sounds, make sure that the reception is good, and that it can hold a signal. After all you want a good phone not just a cool one.

6. dead zone

dead zone Junior Member Junior Member

My Phone:
    VX10000 Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    yea LG with verizon wireless is like top notch...I have the Vx4400b and that phone is the best ive ever had. RF on that thing is great. I notice that samsungs are better when it comes to color screens, but performance LG is good. LoL Lifes Good

7. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    NEVER judge a cell phone by its manufacturer.

Motorola T720 anyone?

8. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    iPhone 5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well the user is talking about a GSM phone. While I will agree that LG makes good CDMA phones for Verizon there GSM phones through Cingular/AT&T Wireless aren't that good right now. LG hasn't quite built the right phone for GSM users. If you are going with Verizon then a LG is fine but if you are going with Cingular or AT&T then skip the LG's.

9. Tony E!

Tony E! \/\/ireless/\dvisor Senior Member

My Phone:
    Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    LG makes good releiable phones, but like Dan said for GSM you don't have many choices..........well at least here in the States..........

10. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    iPhone 5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Well I wasn't saying that. There is many good GSM handsets in the US. Nokia, Samsung, and Sony Ericsson have been coming out with good GSM phones lately. LG though just isn't a brand I trust yet for a GSM network.

11. ehcruzan

ehcruzan Bronze Senior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Read his reply again.....you misunderstood him.

As for the LGs on GSM, I assume we are focusing on reception...right? I seem to remember Bobolito thought the reception on his LG 4050 was excellent. Maybe he can chime in with an update.

12. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    iPhone 5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Actually I did read his post right I just wasn't aware that LG made GSM phones overseas. So thus I misunderstood him. I will admit I am not too familiar with the LG brand though. Bobolito did have a LG 4050 but I remember him telling me that as far as RF goes it did have one strange thing about it. Apparently the LG 4050 would sometimes take a hit in RF when you was actually talking on the phone.

So if you had it laying down on the table or something but then picked it up to talk to somebody the "bars" would go down and sometimes get garbled. Odd bug if you ask me and not a sign of a phone that is good for RF.

13. neonk1

neonk1 New Member

Do not buy an LG phone if you plan on using Sprint!!!!

14. Tony E!

Tony E! \/\/ireless/\dvisor Senior Member

My Phone:
    Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

yes thank you Ehcruzan, some people, geesh........lol

TnDan, i figured you would be aware of all the awesome looking GSM phones that we never get to see that only go to Europe and Asia...

15. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    iPhone 5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

I generally only keep up with the US GSM phone models. I know most of the other brands that sell over seas and in the US but I must say I am not that familar with LG in the GSM world. I'm really not even all that familar with them in the CDMA either. Although for the most part LG's seem to be fine for Verizon Wireless I know that much.

16. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Anyone called me? ;)

The LG 4050 was not that great in RF decoding. I might've said it has good RF at the beginning, but with experience you begin to see in more detail how things really operate. And frankly, the LG 4050 wasn't that good in decoding reception. As I always say, actual phone reception is just like any other phone. The 4050 would loose tower registration and find towers in the same spots that the best phones would. So receptionwise, the LG was quite good. The biggest problem with the LG was its inefficiency decoding weak signals. The V400 can properly decode and deliver a clear call in circumstances the LG 4050 can't when both phones are receiving the same exact dB of signal.

I like how slim and lightweight the 4050 is and the battery life is good. So besides RF decoding in weak areas, I would say that was a pretty good and simple phone for those who don't need more than just talk on a nice and simple color phone.

17. coolbeanspinto

coolbeanspinto New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola C343
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cricket
    Has anyone got the LX5450? If so hows it hold up? thanks

18. SQFreak

SQFreak Moto's Not So Bad Anymore Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Some friends of mine have it on Alltel. It's fair. Surprisingly, the feature set and usability are not as good as any LG on VZW. (It also doesn't help that VZW's network is much better here than Alltel's.)

19. futureMD

futureMD Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX6000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The LG L1200 has gotten rave reviews on HoFo. It's tri-band GSM.