1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it possible to change esn number?

Discussion in 'International Wireless Forum (Including Canada and' started by fasttapphone, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fasttapphone

fasttapphone New Member

I found an LG 6190 fasttap phone from Telus on the ground that was deactivated, because the phone was lost/stolen. Because the phone has no phone numbers in it, nor has it any history of incoming or outgoing calls, I cannot find the owner. Since I have found this phone and can't return it to the owner, I am wondering if it is possible to change the ESN to the same as my girlfriends. My friend has tried to change the ESN, but while the phone has a different ESN number, it still doesn't work. Is it a waste of time trying?

2. Quint101

Quint101 THE (Samsung) Beast

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Q's Mobile Device: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.6306/1558; en; U; ssr))

I don't think so... It may be illegal to change the ESN...

3. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole... Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    It's illegal to change the ESN, that is the same as changing the serial number on a plasma TV.

Please note that any discussion, in public or private, of how to change ESN numbers violates the WirelessAdvisor.com rules and regulations and will result in the violators being banned from posting and their posts deleted. We're not kidding.

4. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Then why not delete this thread??

5. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole... Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Because it's not a thread about how to do it, it's a thread about whether it's possible. No, it isn't possible, because it's illegal.

6. jaegermeisterenatorama

jaegermeisterenatorama New Member

I beg to differ. If something is illegal it will not always as a result be impossible.

7. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You're arguing technicalities there bud, technically you're right, but with the amount of equipment needed to flash the chip containing the ESN, the skill in attaching said equipment, software, etc and the legality, anybody that has to ask that question would find it impossible

8. drackler

drackler New Member

So if i buy a phone off of e-bay an the esn number is from like 4 or 5 hundred miles away i can't get like Verizon to activate it for me?

9. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    Galaxy S4 GE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; T-Mobile To Go; MTS; e-kit
    If it's a VZW phone and the ESN is "clean" (not reported lost/stolen), they'll likely activate it for you.

10. samantha

samantha New Member

The actual esn number on the phone can not be changed...haha
    However if the phone is compatible with your wireless provider they can change the esn number on your account so you can use it.

11. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If you read above, you'll understand the discussion, and I beg to differ, the esn is most likely stored on a eprom chip, granted it's not as simple as an eeprom reflash, but it can be done, or one could replace the chip completely, but when it comes down to it, it couldn't be done by someone with no electronics background. Furthremore financially it would be cheaper to buy a new phone on ebay, and last but not least messing with the ESN is a clear violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act as well as Fraud laws in most states. You're also forgetting the fact that Verizon wont activate any ESN that is not in their system as a verizon phone, Sprint is the same, and that also applies to all of the other American CDMA carriers.

12. jpaytoncfd

jpaytoncfd New Member

I think you guys are jumping on the illegal stuff too much. From what I have read else where there is no law that says you cant change an ESN. there are laws that say you cant alter a phone for monetary gain. (to avoid paying for service is monetary gain) Myself I want to change the ESN on a phone I want to use on virgin mobile. but its a phone they did not sell and there for is not in their system. So I want to swap the ESN from a phone they did sell so my phone will now have a ESN recognized by their system. That in no way is an attempt to fraud their service. It is no attempt to break any law. and I am not cloning the ESN. as I would swap the ESN's. (or destroy the cheap phone). I keep seeing the ESN is like A VIN. its not. a VIN number is reported to an agency that monitors the vehicle. A ESN is similar to an IP address. Thats my take. I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong. the act of changing an ESN is not illegal. But many of the uses are. for example changing a droid ESN to some cheap phones ESN so you dont have to pay special droid fees (which I know dont exist just making an example) would be illegal. but changing the ESN wasent illegal technically. Altering the phone to avoid fees or payment is the illegal part.

1 person likes this.
  13. M in LA

M in LA Super Moderator Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Droid DNA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (since 1994)
    Regardless whether one's desire to alter an ESN isn't for illegal purposes, altering an ESN creates problems, treading into illegal territory and is a forbidden subject on this site. It is not something Wireless Advisor condones or supports in any way.

This is one topic not up for debate on this site. For this reason, the thread is closed.

14. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Vivid LTE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I am in complete agreement. Whether or not one's intentions are legal or not, the ownership of this site decided long ago that any discussion of modifying or cloning ESN's is a prohibited topic of discussion, and therefore any thread that its brought up in is subject to closure or deletion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.