1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to request unlock code:

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by Ellen, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellen

Ellen Guest

How to request an unlock code for your TMobile handset:
    To receive your unlock request, you must meet the following criteria and this criterion can not be waived.

* The account must have been active for 90 days (unless customer paid full retail for the handset), and a refill on the account if the request is made by a prepaid customer. ** Please note that some prepaid customers have reported receiving an unlock request without adding a refill to their account.

* You must have a TMobile phone number.

* Only one unlock code will be issued per active line within a 90 day period.

* IMEI number must be provided directly from the customers handset (IMEI number can be obtained by pressing *#06# on your handset).

* Handsets that were purchased through eBay, pawnshops, garage sales, or other sources must still meet these requirements.

To obtain your unlock code send the following information via email to: [email protected], or call customer care directly at 1-800-937-8997 to obtain the unlock code. ** When calling you are still required to provide all of the information listed below.

Information needed for unlock code:

* Account holders name (required). xxxxxxxx

* IMEI number (required) *#06# on the mobile handset.

* Account password or the last four of the account holders social security number (required). For prepaid customers this can be the last four of your mobile number To Go pin code number. xxxx

* Customer contact number or email address. xxx-xxx-xxxx, or [email protected]

* Make and model of the mobile handset. (ie: Nokia 6030)

* Carriers name if the handset is from another carrier. ie: AT&T (please note that TMobile is not required to provide unlock requests from other carriers, but has been reported to do so for a few of their customers.)

* Reason for the request. (ie: Going on a trip abroad, or giving the phone to a friend on another network.)

*** Please note that in some cases it may take up to 14 days for TMobile to fulfill your unlock request.

2. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    This is an excellent guide. Its a really quick process, just waiting for the unlock code from the manufacturer. This deserves a sticky. Thanks MP! :)

3. tonykcpd

tonykcpd New Member

Re: How to request unlock code: STILL DOESN'T WORK!!!!

MP, that is an AWESOME post!!! Can you assist me with another similar issue???

I purchased a phone from a guy in Canada that was on Rogers network provider. He stated it was unlocked. It appeared to be for a day then all the sudden it won't work. I got a new sim card for my T-Mobile network and it said invalid.

I figured, well, maybe it's not unlocked. Contacted rogers, they said no to unlock, contacted a company and paid for an unlock code, waste of money, contacted T-Mobile, they said cool will get it for you, withing 24 hours I had the code emailed to me. Tried the code, no help. Still no sim card or damaged sim card. Tried 2 other sims of family members, still no luck. Called T-Mobile, they sent me to Palm Treo (Palm Treo 680 Cellphone) where I talked to the tech junkie. She said, it's already unlocked.

No matter what I do, it says the sim card is invalid and I can only make a 911 call. I'm thinking of opening it up and seeing if it's getting a good contact on the sim card, what do you think?

I'm desperate.

4. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)

Go ahead and open it up -- the SIM goes under the battery, and it's a very accessible place (you won't void the warranty, etc.). A lot of SIM cards have locking mechanisms. Some you have to slide the SIM in all the way, some you have to close a latch, some you have to diddle a switch. "Invalid SIM" usually means "I can't see your SIM", not "you have a locked phone".

Another possibility is that you have an old SIM -- the Treo needs a 64k SIM and I'll bet you have a 32k SIM. It may cost you $25 to get a new SIM but hey, that's not a bad price for a nice phone that works.

Try the SIM positioning first, obviously -- and, I'm sorry if this sounds arrogant, but do make sure the SIM is not upside-down; the contacts on the SIM must physically touch the contacts on the Treo.

5. Ellen

Ellen Guest

If it was a case of Tony's sim card not being inserted correctly, wouldn't the error message say "Please insert sim card" and not "invalid sim card" ?

6. Ellen

Ellen Guest

I'm no expert with unlocked phones, but upon researching this issue for you, I came up with a few suggestions for you to try.

1) As ZaphodB has mentioned above, if you are using a 34K sim card, you need to replace it with TMobile's 64K sim card. You can purchase one from eBay for less than $10.00, or you can call TMobiles tech support at # 1-800-937-8997 and explain the error message that you are receiving, and let them know what sim card you are using. If you do have the 32K sim card, they can notate the issue on your TMobile account. Then you should be able to go to a TMobile corporate store in your area and have them replace it with a 64K sim card free of charge.

2) If you do have the TMobile 64K sim card, take it out of the Treo and insert it into a TMobile branded phone (you may need to go to a TMobile store in your area for this, if you don't have a TMobile phone to use). After you have registered the sim card on TMobiles network, take it out of the TMobile branded phone and insert it back into the Treo. If you don't get the error message, try making a test call.

3) You may also want to look into getting your Treo reflashed with the latest software version.

4) If all of the above steps fail to resolve the "invalid sim card" issue, then I would look into getting a Rodgers sim card, and see whether or not the Treo is unlocked or not.

Keep us posted. :)

7. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)

Depends on the phone... the error-message is controlled by the phone, not the SIM card, so it will appear however the manufacturer wants it to appear. I've definitely seen "Invalid SIM", especially on Motorolas. I have zero experience with GSM Treos so it was an educated guess.

8. olubolu

olubolu Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG SHINE red
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile and Verizon Wireless
    Some phones require not only an unlock code, but hooking it up to a computer via usb cable before the unlock codes will work. This was the case when I unlocked a Motorola iden phone from Boost mobile for my cousin who uses nextel.

9. nhhendu

nhhendu New Member

Apparently, the process must have gotten more streamlined. I just called the regular customer care line (before I saw this post) and asked them for an unlock code. They asked which line (I have a family plan) and asked for the IMEI. They told me they will be emailing the code within 24-48 hours.

10. olubolu

olubolu Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG SHINE red
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The system generally works just fine if you are already a customer of the cell phone provider and you're trying to unlock one of their phones. Things usually get a little sticky when you're either not a customer or you're trying to unlock a competitors phone to use with their service.

11. mmmmna

mmmmna Junior Member

My Phone:
    Droid X2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Curious - will this unlock process also hold 'GENERALLY' true with other carriers and/or other phones (AT&T/RAZR)?

12. nhhendu

nhhendu New Member

Generally not, in my experience. Tmobile seems to be the most generous. Cellular One (owned by Dobson) used provide their phones already unlocked, except for the more expensive models.

Some phone manufacturers are relatively easy to unlock on your own, though. There is a web site (gsmliberty.net) that provides unlock codes. Nokias are the easiest. Enter the IEMI on the above web site and it will provide the code. gsmliberty provides unlock codes for free for most Nokias.

13. Charlyee

Charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    It has been real easy for me with AT&T/cingular. Their requirements being - my account be in good standing for 90 days, international roaming & long distance activated on my account & a reason (mine is need it unlocked for overseas travel to use with a local SIM).

14. Rui Rodrigues

Rui Rodrigues New Member

I have a T-Mobile prepaid chip active for 9 months

I plan on buying a new prepaid T mobile phone, then putting the active chip in it

Will qualify to request the unlock code immediately?

In a few weeks I will be taking it to Brazil

Thanks

15. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Rui welcome to WA.... As long as you have not received an unlock code from TMobile within the past 3 months you would qualify. Just follow the steps that I have listed in post #1 to request the code for your handset, and you should receive a response from TMobile within 24 hours. Keep in mind that it could take up to 14 days for TMobile to email the code to you. Although it usually doesn't take that long.

16. nforced

nforced New Member

ok when you say you need the account password do you mean the password to my mytmobile.com account?

17. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Welcome to WA nforced... The account password for postpaid customers would be the last 4 digits of their social security number. For prepaid customers the password would be the last four digits of their wireless number, or whatever the account number was changed to if that is the case.

18. Softshell

Softshell New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung T519
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-mobile
    Anyone know how to unlock once I get the code?

Thanks so much for your time either way...

19. olubolu

olubolu Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG SHINE red
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It depends on what kind of phone you have. Some phones just require you to punch in the code right on the key pad, others require you to plug your phone into the computer via usb (this is usually the case with the higher end phones as carriers really don't like playing ball with each other and want customers to buy THEIR high end LOCKED phones). You do have to be careful if you're doing it yourself..if you don't punch the code in properly, some phones will freeze up and require that you take it back to the carrier or send it back to manufacturer to get it to function again.

20. olubolu

olubolu Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG SHINE red
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Asking you for a reason and having to activate international roaming on your account is not very cool...Tmobile unlocks a customer's phone so long as your account is in good standing for 90 days period. Most customers who bother to get their phones unlocked do it for the very reason you mentioned, but tmobile doesn't require you to give them a reason. They'll even unlock phones from other carriers for you, as long as you meet the 90 day requirement and you pay a 50 dollar unlocking fee.

21. Softshell

Softshell New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung T519
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-mobile

Thanks so much. Hopefully that's not the case because my phone is pretty non-highend. :)

It's a Nokia 2610

22. Charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Usually your unlock code will come with the instructions on the how to,since they are different for different manufacturers. Typically all phones except Nokias need you to put another GSM providers SIM in and the phone will ask you to enter the unlock code and once you do that you will be all set. Most Nokias until recently required you to take the SIM out and enter the code.
    I have never had to pay $50 unlocking fee to a provider, AT&T or T-Mobile to get an unlock code for one of their phones. They have always provider it for free. Heck, I can buy unlock code for less than that from any online unlocker.

As for T-Mobile not asking for a reason, I don't know about that. It seems the requirements given in the sticky specifically say yes you need one.

23. olubolu

olubolu Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG SHINE red
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The 50 dollar fee is for tmobile to unlock ANOTHER carriers phone, not theirs. The sticky thingee may be a corporate policy or something...but the guys in the stores (the ones doing the unlocking) don't ask you for any reasons at all. They just tell you to bring your phone with you to the store and they will take care of the rest. I've done it for all three of the phones under my tmobile family plan. if you're trying to unlock your own tmobile phone by filling out the online form then that's an entirely different issue. that would be when doing something online is more of a hassle instead of just finding your local tmobile or whatever store and walk in with the phone.

24. Charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Maybe that is what the difference is. The provider's stores around here do not do the unlocking, you have to request the unlock code from the provider and it is typically sent to you by E-Mail.

25. Ellen

Ellen Guest

T-Mobile does NOT charge $50 to unlock another carriers phone! I have received codes for my AT&T phones in the past FREE of charge. Sometimes it does take them a little longer to obtain the code. Who cares, when they give it to you FREE?

The online form is absolutely no hassle at all, and only takes 2 minutes to fill out. If a person really wants to save time, they can call the CSD number to expedite the process. However, all the info. is still required.

I don't know of any T-Mobile store that would let a customer bring their phone in and a Rep. would unlock it for them. :confused: Is the store that unlocked your phones a third party dealer?

26. olubolu

olubolu Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG SHINE red
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Guess you better come to Hawaii...they do it ALL THE TIME.

27. Ellen

Ellen Guest

No thanks. No need to spend money on a trip to Hawaii, when I'm getting my codes free of charge from T-Mobile now. :cool:

28. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

What, you would rather get a free unlock code by email vs an opportunity to go to a beautiful island like Hawaii when winter is coming? Geez I would Jump on the chance to go to Hawaii.

29. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Softshell, you will also receive instructions on how to unlock your specific handset along with the code via email. The instructions are very easy to follow, no matter what type of handset you have......If you do have a problem, call up T-Mobiles CSD and one of the Reps. will walk you through the process.

30. Charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    That's what I said in my post 6 posts prior, but thanks for reinforcing it . :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.