1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does it take to build a tower?

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by Xpimp, May 5, 2010.

1. Xpimp

Xpimp New Member

So far I notice gravel has been put along the road, the foundation has been built, and the electrical meters constructed. That was two weeks ago when I noticed that, which was the last time I was in VA. Now my main question is how long does it usually take to build an actual tower, 300ft to be exact? What exactly is the longest thing to get done considering all permits have been approved?

This is an AT&T tower being constructed by American Towers half a mile from my parents house. I've been following this up until the time the county board approved it late last year. I'm excited for one it will bring much improved coverage to the area, and was actually shocked At&t is building out in such a rural part of the county.

American Tower

From the May county Newsletter

2. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt
    Junior Member Senior Member

If they already started building the tower, then all permits are probably approved already, so then it's just a matter of how fast they can build and integrate the site. That's probably a few weeks/months on average.

Sometimes they bring up a group of new sites (ie: a "cluster") all at the same time, so even if the site is ready on it's own, they might wait until the surrounding sites are ready too and bring them up all at once ....it's better to do it that way for handovers/neighbor cell relations...otherwise there might be missing neighbor cells resulting in dropped calls.

1 person likes this.
  3. Xpimp

Xpimp New Member

Just to update this thread. I snapped some pics of the tower today. As of today the tower is still not completed but looks like they got a lot done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Xpimp

Xpimp New Member

Happy to report this tower has been turned on as of this morning!!!!!!! :clap::D:)

5. sprke81

sprke81 New Member

I have an ATT tower going up bout quarter mile from my house. Its still in the process of getting approval from the county planning board. I was wondering how long it would take to build it, but looks like from the OP from start to finish around 2.5 months.

6. Xpimp

Xpimp New Member

If it is still in the process of getting approval, I'd say at most 1-2 years. This particular tower in this thread took a little over 2 years from planning, to approval, to construction. And just this week they finally added 3G to it.

7. sprke81

sprke81 New Member

I'd be really surprised if it took that long. It first showed up in the paper end of June asking for public comments. Now the county planning board has an ad for tomorrow nights meeting asking for interested parties to attend as that is on the agenda. Keep in mind I live in a Montana town of about 3600 people so the there isn't a lot red tape. There were two towers last year that Nemont wireless put up that followed this exact same process. From when they showed up in the paper to going online was about 5 months. I would be willing to bet they want this tower up and running by the time ATT flips the switch on the former Alltel network and I'm hearing by end of Jan 2011 is when that's going to happen. I can see the proposed tower site from my dining room window so I'll know the day something happens.

8. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt
    Junior Member Senior Member

Hi sprke81, welcome to the forum. There's alot of variables when building a tower so it's hard to give a blanket answer saying how long it will take. Since you live in a rural area, and saw previous towers go up in a few months after being publically announced, I'd guess the new tower should follow suit.

The main reason most towers take so long to build is that they get caught up in all the red-tape. Some states/countries have strict zoning laws to try to keep the skyline from being littered with too many towers as well as considering radiation levels in densely populated areas. It's good to consider things like this, but the process can drag on too long sometimes as well. Once the red-tape is out of the way and the green-light is given to start building, I'd say it should be up in a few months, more-or-less.

Hope your new tower doesn't take too long. Keep us posted :)

9. sprke81

sprke81 New Member

Thanks Radio! Just a little update, I went to the county planning meeting tonight where they heard public comment about the location. It was interesting, one of the land owners that was in the vicinity of the proposed location was very against it and basically made a fool of himself, got very angry at the planning board and stomped out of the building and tore out of the parking lot. After about an hour of going back and forth the board members finally passed it 4 to 3. It now goes before the city counsel.

10. Wireless Mechanic

Wireless Mechanic New Member

wow they still have dumb electricity meters too?

11. WiFreeGuy

WiFreeGuy New Member

Can you please elaborate on this.
    I have been led to believe that radiation levels from cell towers are trivial and a non- issue.
    Thanks!

12. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

You are correct. You cannot fight a cellular site on the basis of health concerns. As long as the site is within FCC guidelines, it is ok.

13. Der84

Der84 EH!

I can understand why some people might have concerns about a tower going up, but at the same time people do tend to over-react a little bit as well.