1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I recover deleted reminders.

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone' started by Charlyee, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Charlyee

Charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I got a little carried away and deleted quite a few reminders by mistake. Since I have updated iCloud backup and also backup to my MBP I figured I would just restore from my last backup.

However after the restore was complete, it appears that Reminders are not backedup/restored.

Is there a way to get my Reminders back without spending $60 on a recovery program?

If not, and Reminders are not backed up normally, how do I go about ensuring that they are, so this doesn't happen again?

Appreciate any and all help.

Thanks much :)

Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk

2. Charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am disappointed at the lack of response to my plight. :(

Oh well, after doing a lot of research I found out that Reminders are not backed up in iTunes and even if they are they are not restorable without using expensive ($99.95) utility software.

I am rather disappointed that Apple left out their own built in Reminder app from iTunes backup, this doesn't make any sense. The ToDo list from my WM phones from 7 years back could be backed up.

So for the future I am going to Export my Reminder list to my MBP every week, so I would have something to fall back on.

Just goes to show no OS is perfect. :rolleyes:

3. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Sure about that? Reminders are in the iCloud, meaning within Settings it can be turned on or off. So there must be a copy in the clouds that is used by all devices.

Anyhow my practice as a force of habit is to use reminders for daily thoughts and calendar 'reminders' for more future events. Those are backed up. Guess then I lose a day at most.

What about to do lists?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Oh, I didn't read your OP. I think reminders are backed up real time in the cloud. But if you delete them, well that is different then losing or breaking your device. It is keeping a real time copy and you manually deleted them.

5. Charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Yes real time iCloud backup is how it synchs across all my devices. I was NOT looking for deleted Reminders in iCloud,

I wanted to restore them from the last iTunes backup that was on my Mac. I was at first surprised and then very disappointed that Reminders are not backed up in iTunes.

I don't understand why Reminders (a built in Apple app) is not part of iTunes backup. Now i am wondering what else is not getting backed up in iTunes.

PS:

Here is what is backed up in iTunes: a long list but doesn't include Reminders - someone at Apple blew it. :(

• Contacts* and Contact Favorites (regularly sync contacts to a computer or cloud service such as iCloud to back them up).
    • App Store Application data including in-app purchases (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).
    • Application settings, preferences, and data, including documents.
    • Autofill for webpages.
    • CalDAV and subscribed calendar accounts.
    • Calendar accounts.
    • Calendar events.
    • Call history.
    • Camera Roll (Photos, screenshots, images saved, and videos taken. Videos greater than 2 GB are backed up with iOS 4.0 and later.)
    • Note: For devices without a camera, Camera Roll is called Saved Photos.
    • Game Center account.
    • Home screen arrangement.
    • In-app purchases.
    • Keychain (this includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications. If you encrypt the backup with iOS 4 and later, you can transfer the keychain information to the new device. With an unencrypted backup, you can restore the keychain only to the same iOS device. If you are restoring to a new device with an unencrypted backup, you will need to enter these passwords again.)
    • List of External Sync Sources (MobileMe, Exchange ActiveSync).
    • Location service preferences for apps and websites you have allowed to use your location.
    • Mail accounts (mail messages are not backed up).
    • Installed Profiles. When restoring a backup to a different device, installed configuration profiles are not restored (such as accounts, restrictions, or anything which can be specified through an installed profile.) Any accounts or settings that are not associated with an installed profile will still be restored.
    • Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in Maps.
    • Microsoft Exchange account configurations.
    • Network settings (saved Wi-Fi hotspots, VPN settings, network preferences).
    • Nike + iPod saved workouts and settings.
    • Notes.
    • Offline web application cache/database.
    • Paired Bluetooth devices (which can only be used if restored to the same phone that did the backup).
    • Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, offline data, and currently open pages.
    • Saved suggestion corrections (these are saved automatically as you reject suggested corrections).
    • Messages (iMessage and carrier SMS or MMS pictures and videos).
    • Trusted hosts that have certificates that cannot be verified.
    • Voice memos.
    • Voicemail token. (This is not the voicemail password, but is used for validation when connecting. This is only restored to a phone with the same phone number on the SIM card).
    • Wallpapers.
    • Web clips.
    • YouTube bookmarks and history
    * Your contacts are part of the backup to preserve recent calls and favorites lists. Back up your contacts to a supported personal information manager (PIM), iCloud, or another cloud-based service to avoid any potential contact data loss.

(iTunes: About iOS backups

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. JWA

JWA New Member

Given the list of items that are included in the backup, it does seem like an oversight. You would assume that all additions to the OS would be run through a standard inclusion process and that backup settings would be one of them. So, maybe there is some logic to it - but I can't think of what it would be.

1 person likes this.
  7. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Looks like a ridiculous oversight to me as well. And I was beginning to think Apple was perfect. What a letdown! :-D

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

2 people like this.
  8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Just curious. Do you have a time machine backup from your Mac? Maybe go back in time and restore your calendar/ reminder from then? Be careful how you do it. May wish to turn off iCloud temporarily.

What is going on may be a definition of what a reminder is as opposed to a calendar event or even a to do list. That an question for another day. I always look at reminders as daily throw away events or scraps of paper.

9. JWA

JWA New Member

I just asked her the same thing offline, but she isn't using Time Machine. I think Time Machine with a Time Capsule are one of the best features of OS X and suggested that she look into them.

Which system to use for what doesn't really seem to matter here. Accidentally deleting something that is synced through iCloud would be the same no matter how a person finds a way to use them in their workflow. It is interesting seeing how different people approach the use of these systems though - and without fail Charlyee uses every single feature (except for Time Machine, apparently) of every OS to their fullest.

10. Charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Intersting, how is the Reminder app different from a ToDo List? It is not a daily throwaway event at all, it is a full featured task list including setting up tasks in the future and also varable recurring tasks.

My work Task List from Outlook syncs with Reminders and displays the way it displays on my work PC. It is definitely useful to have a full featured built in ToDo List or Task List app.

If Apple meant this app to be "scraps of paper", it should have been a simple task list like gList, or the hundreds of other task list apps available across all platforms, and not have all the capabilities it has.

It is just disappointing that this does not get backed up in iTunes and was missed by Apple.
    Agreed, how I am using it has nothing to do with the fact that it doesn't get backed up in iTunes.

Well yes, if there is only one hole I will find and in the worst way possible. :D

I will look into the Time Machine/Time Capsule arrangement. Is this another overpriced Apple hardware again? ;). Maybe just being careful when deleting stuff might be cheaper. :)

11. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Time Machine is a system software used with any hard drive of your choice.

Time Capsule is a Apple hard drive and wifi. But it uses the same native software.

So you don't have back ups if your MacBook Pro ?

I would point out that unless you back up to iTunes once a week, restoring from an old itunes back up is not the way to go. Because your whole phone goes back in time. Time Machine would allow you to just pick out the reminders.

Icloud is an incremental back up system like my corporate back up for my dell. Except instead of once a day, icloud is real time. It's not a time machine since there is only one current copy. Both are not designed for your situation.

TM would allow you to go back to a day in the last year and see and restore your calendar as it was then.

12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Charlyee. I haven't taken time to really look at this. But from what I read Reminders ARE Backed up in iTunes. It is associated with calendar.

The $99 programs you write about are designed to extract from the iTunes back up file only the calendar and reminders without restoring the whole phone.

But that implies the data is there. If it is not, for whatever reason, these $99 programs are of no help.

So another problem or setting may have messed things up for you.

13. Charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Yes I do backup my MBP once a week to an external hard drive and also backup my ipad and iPhone to iTunes once a week. In this case the the last iTunes backup was less than 24 hours old and would have worked fine if the Reminders were truly backed up.

- - - Updated - - -

I have only found evidence to the contrary on the web and the Apple Support Forums. I would be curious to know what problem or setting could have caused my Reminders to not get backed up.

Appreciate any light you can shed on this.

Thanks much. :)

14. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Have you tried the free trial of this software to see if your reminders exist? It states and uses the fact that reminders are in the iTunes back up files. The purpose of the program is the restore them without attaching your iDevice.

But implies and states that they are backed up. Otherwise the program can't work

http://www.total-data-recovery.com/MacOSX/iTunes/

What Mac back up software do you use, if not Time Machine?

15. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Hi Charlyee,

I just confirmed that Reminders ARE backed up in iTunes (and also iCloud) on my own iPhone 5. No one at Apple 'blew it' ;)

I used the free trial of that $60 program (WonderShare) to confirm that I can see all 93 of my reminders from current and previous iTune backups. WonderShare shows the details of each reminder and if they are completed or not. Indeed they were backed up.

The purpose of that paid program is to recover individual files (reminders, SMS, voice mail, photos) WITHOUT 1) restoring the entire phone and 2) even connecting the phone to your Mac/PC. That unique feature is why they can charge $$ for the program. Not too uncommon for an App Dev to find a why to earn money for something that is otherwise free.

So the iTunes data file has the backups. The questions is for your situation is 1) did yours back up and/or 2) why didn't they get restored.

I can only suggest to try the free trial of WonderShare to peek at your files and see if Reminders are there. I just did exactly that. If they are not there, I don't know the reason. If they are there, I don't know why they weren't restored via iTunes. Would have to research problems with that some more.

Reading some info on the web, the confusion is that 'Calendars' is a word used sometimes to include To Do and Reminders under one term.
    So that Apple list of what is backed up had 'Calendar Accounts' is meant to include Reminders, etc. also.

I don't have the time this Labor Day weekend to try a full restore with my phone to see if they are indeed restored via iTunes...But they should be...and for free. I will try later, perhaps next week.

P.S.: We had this discussion before...to me Reminders, To-Do list and calendar events are all the same...dated events. My habits are just to place every thing into my calendar, so I have only ONE place to look. I will use Reminders for simple daily reminders. That is just me however and probably why I never gave this much thought.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  16. Charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Vf, yes I tried the free version of the software, IR had recommended it and it showed "Reminders(32)". However everything I have read points to the fact that Reminders are not restorable from iTunes and needs special software.

Here is a statement from that software website "Because iTunes backup files cannot be used directly on Mac and iDevice, you need an iTunes Backup Extractor to extract the contents from backup files."

Apple recommends Exporting Reminders as ICS files every so often manually or via time machine, so in case of mishaps like mine, the files can be Imported. This leads me to believe that simply restoring from the last iTunes backup doesn't restore Reminders. I have started doing this once a week as I do my iTunes backup.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5469

I have all but two of my Reminders re entered so I am okay for now.

Thanks much for your help.

17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I saw that and you're reading it incorrectly. It's true that the Mac or iDevice can't read the iTunes back up file directly. It restores via iTunes and with the device connected. .

Elsewhere the same web page indeed confirms that.

Saving calendars and reminders for the Mac is a different situation dealing with Mountain Lion and exporting and saving reminders that you may not with to be updated.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  18. Charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Ok, so I decided to do some experimenting:

• Added a new recurring Reminder, starting from today and repeating every week with no end date. Verified that it was in all my devices and in iCloud.
    • Did a manual backup in iTunes stored on my MBP
    • Deleted this Reminder, and verified it was gone from every device.
    • Did a full restore from the backup just made, after verifying the date and time on it.
    • The Reminder did not get restored. One text message that I had deleted between the backup and restore did reappear - proving that the restore worked.

Repeated the above process with a Reminder just for tomorrow and one annual starting 9/5/13. The result was the same, the newly created (and deleted) Reminders did not get restored.

I am sorry vf, from my little experimentation and the replies I got from another forum from posters having made the same mistake, there is no simple way to restore a deleted Reminder.

IMHO, this is not acceptable. :nono:

19. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Galaxy S4 GE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; T-Mobile To Go; MTS; e-kit
    So it sounds like the following is true:
    ITunes backs up your reminders
    ITunes does not restore your reminders
    Someone (maybe even Apple?) is holding your reminders hostage for a mere $99.
    Did I miss anything?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4

1 person likes this.
  20. Charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Nope that's it in a nutshell, although some will settle for $69.95 :D

21. dmapr

My Phone:
    Galaxy S4 GE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sounds like a good deal to me :-D

1 person likes this.
  22. Charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am holding out for free. :p

Btw, I only got one Reminder left to put back in. :)

23. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    It's actually 59.95 and not Apple. I've used a video converter from WonderShare last year. Which means the encrypted file is not too secret. Perhaps there is some free code around.

Still somewhat strange that after many upgrades and restores I still have all my Reminders.

I'm still a doubting ViewFly :).

At least they are backed up by iTunes and also iCloud, so if you lost your phone ( instead of deleting them), the icloud has a easy accessible free back up of them in the cloud and other devices.

As far as what other forums say on the subject we should know by now that most do not know what they are talking about. ;)

24. Charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I believe the keyword here is Delete. Upgrades and restores are not the same as deleting a Reminder and trying to undelete it by restoring from a backup. My Reminders have remained intact through all my upgrades and restores as well.

I think my understand of backup and restore is not what Apple has provided. My understanding is the backup from which it is being restored puts in exactly what information is in the backup eg my deleted Reminders.

However, I am finding that the contents of backup and restore are not exactly the same if the user has deleted something after making the backup. So yes it is helpful if I lose my phone or replace it, it is not helpful in recovering inadvertently deleted Reminders.

I am not a software engineer but maybe dmapr or JWA can shed some light on how the restore handles a deleted item. ;)

Although for now I have worked around this shortcoming, I am just curious as to what other app behaves this way. What if I delete a worksheet from Numbers and restore from a previous backup, will I get the worksheet back? Scary thought, I just need to keep my fingers of "delete button". :D

1 person likes this.
  25. dmapr

My Phone:
    Galaxy S4 GE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    A normal restore procedure will put things back the way they were at the time of the backup. That is, anything deleted afterwards will be back, and anything created after the backup will be gone.

26. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Still don't believe it. Maybe repeat the process with iCloud completely off (for Reminders) on ALL of your devices (iPad, iPhone, MacBook). Perhaps after the restore, some logic says 'uh, the iPhone has a reminder, but it doesn't exist on the iPad or MacBook AND the iPhone reminder is older (being a restore) then the current time of the other devices...so the restored Reminder is deleted' ???

Have you tried that?

In summary:

1) iTunes backs up Reminders- they are in the iTunes iPhone file
    2)iTunes restores Reminders for upgrades and restores:
    3) upgrades and restores completely erase the iPhone...deleting everything on the iPhone...and reminders are returned.
    4) Texts are not part of the iCloud save, so it was unaffected.

So it makes no sense why deleting a reminder is not restored from an older backup...unless there is some time conflict or precedent going on.
    See where I'm going with this?

The Apple understanding of Backups and restores is pretty standard, but perhaps complicated with near real time synchs among devices.

For the Mac, the Time Machine works exactly as you wish: you can go back in time and restore your Mac to what it looked like on any date...even the screen icons positions, any screens that were open, etc. Pretty cool.

Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

27. Charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Well I am not making it up. :)

So how about you create a new Reminder, manually backup in iTunes, then delete the new Reminder

Then restore from the backup just made and let me know if the newly created Reminder that you just deleted, is restored.

If it does restore for you but not for me, then please post your settings.

Thanks

28. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I never think you are making it up...it is the logic of what happened that makes no sense. iTunes backs up and restores...the iCloud is getting in the way...and works the way most want and people expect. I apologize, its the 'Spock' in me that gets carried away ;)

I think this article I found this morning from iLounge describes what happened to you, and a couple ways to keep Reminders it in the future..for free. Charlyee, you managed to get yourself into a 'wormhole' of sorts! :)

As I suspected, after you restore from a dated backup via iTunes, your reminders, contacts etc are fine...but then iCloud, which has a newer version of your Reminders (where you deleted them)...overrides the backup and removes your Reminders.

The article is about Contacts but applies to Reminders as well.

BTW, you can do a iPhone restore from iTunes or iCloud directly. If you don't ever use iCloud...turning and leaving it off will have back up restores work exactly as you thought. But the free fix is simple enough.

Restoring iCloud Contact info from backup | iLounge Article

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  29. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Not to get off topic. But I thought iTunes was for purchasing. And iCloud was for storage. All this is getting confusing.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

30. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    iTunes is for everything: purchasing songs, movies, books, etc and updating iOS's and for back up iOS devices (iPads and iPhones). With the advent of OTA updates directly to the phone and then iCloud, you now can back up, synch and restore via the iCloud. And purchase songs directly on the phone.

Times have changed since you had an iPhone Joe.

Back on topic, my post above explains what happened to Charlyee and how to prevent Reminders from being lost in the future.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    2 people like this.