1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GoPhone Inactive Period? Minimum Refill?

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by RadioRaiders, Mar 2, 2009.

1. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

I'd like to buy a ATT GoPhone pre-paid SIM. Once I activate it, if I don't add any money to the account in "x" days the account will be deactivated. I can then re-activate it anytime by adding money to the account, according to Wikipedia:

My questions are:

1) How long after the 60 days of no payment can the SIM card be reactivated? A few months? A year? (Keeping the same number isn't important to me)

2) Is the minimum re-fill $15?

2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

1. 60 days is it. Past that you need to buy a new SIM card (corp stores will often give you one for free with the activation)
    2. Official minimum refill is $15, I heard you can use the $5 "feature cards" as refill as well. Just as a $15 card they allegedly add 30 days to the expiration.

1 person likes this.
  3. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Thanks dmapr. I also see alot of unactivated ATT SIM cards on ebay selling for around $5 each. If I buy one of these, can I activate it on-line by buying $15 credit for it? And then it's active for 30 days?

...in Europe, most operators will reactivate an old pre-paid SIM card for you. I had one old pre-paid SIM I didn't use for a year or 2 and when I went to the operators store, they not only reactivated it for free, but also restored the credit that was on it from a year or 2 ago :D

Oh, one more question: are there any US pre-paid cards that will keep your SIM active even if you don't buy credit for a long time? (ie: a year)

4. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

You should be able to buy and activate online, especially if you have a US credit card. I always bought directly from AT&T, so they came pre-activated, I just needed to add credit. Yes, $15 will be good for a month.

AT&T is totally inept when it comes to SIM card technology. They have all the necessary data to be able to reformat a PUK-locked SIM card, yet they just give you a new one. They can't handle a deactivated SIM either. And they are so money-hungry, their only option is $100 refill for a 1-year expiration.

T-Mobile allows you 1-year expiration with any refill once you plop down $100 in refills, their minimum refill amount is $10. They also have a more limited coverage :(