1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CENTRAL U.S. -- Getting started in Climbing Towers

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Climbs4fun, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Climbs4fun

Climbs4fun New Member

Hello good friends. I have a question about getting into climbing towers. I'll start off by telling you all that I have been climbing all my life, whether it is rock, trees, buildings, misc structures, anything. I love heights and would like to get paid for my climbing. I also love traveling and seeing the nation/world. I have a dilema though at this point in my life. I'm 25, in great shape, but I have 2 dwi's. I know that sounds bad, but you must believe me when I say that those do not reflect my work ethic nor my will to work. I currently work for my University where I take advantage of their setup for full time employees, which is where they pay 90% of my tuition as so I can go to school. Now I'm at a point in my life where school isn't entirely what I want to do. So what my question to you all is, is having 2 dwi's on my record going to effect whether or not I get hired? I have been living with this guilt and can not describe how much I have learned in the past 3 years regarding making wise decisions. I am not the same person that received those years ago. I am very interested in joining the cell tower climbing community and would very much feel grateful to any company that would hire me. Thank you to all who reads this. I look forward to reading your responses.

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Vivid LTE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I do not recommend climbing any cell phone towers unless you're looking to spend a few days in jail, or it is part of your employment through either a tower company or cellular provider.

3. Climbs4fun

Climbs4fun New Member

Sooo are you saying that having 2 dwi's on my driving record shouldn't effect my chances of getting hired to climb cell towers?

4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Vivid LTE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Its totally up to whoever's hiring you. Chances are if you have recent DWI's that means that they probably won't let you drive one of their trucks, so chances are you probably won't get hired.

5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung Note3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    The next time you see a carrier's truck parked alongside the road, pull over and ask them. Although, most likely, they'll refer you to their employer's website, which is always a good place to start to at least find out the qualifications. Personally, I'd like to be one of those guys that drives around with all the equipment in a vehicle testing signal and such. But you need radio knowledge for that. Its not just walking around saying "can you hear me now?"