1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full bars no service

Discussion in 'PRE-PAID Cell Phone Companies and Plans' started by jsykas, Dec 19, 2006.

1. jsykas

jsykas New Member

At my rural home, why when I have full bars showing do I get great service sometimes and no service others? Full bars show whether I can connect or not connect. When I check available networks I get two Cellular One networks. when I check details I get 831-503? for both Cellular One networks.
    I am able to connct fine away from home wiht less bars showing. Location 41.90518, -76.16118 enter in maps.google.com
    I may be able to connect fine, then not connect at all.
    When I can not connect, the call dials, then beeps three times and goes back to menu.
    Cellular One sales says I need new SIMS. The old ones are only fivce days old. I just bought these phones.
    Will new SIMS help?

2. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    They might have to replace your sim card, but does your phone say 'call failed' when it beeps???

3. jsykas

jsykas New Member

Yes, it says call failed after it beeps. This morning the Nokia worked fine. The Motorola said Cellular One instead of Emergency Only, but calls failed. Later it went back to Emergency Only.

My guess is that I am picking up three separate towers and the most powerful one has a Cellular One network that I can not connect with. Occasionally that signal weakens and I pick up another tower that allows me to call.

That's just my guess. If that is indeed the case, Cellular One could give me access to that network or I could put up a directional yagi antenna to recieve signal from another tower.

If you maps.google.com I am at 41.90518 -76.16118 latitude longitude. Just paste that in, hit hybrid and you can zoom in just enough to my house on the right side of the Highland Lake. At 1750 ft, my 68 acres is high enough to get TV from Philadelphia, Syracuse, Elmira, Binghamton, Scranton/Wilkes Barre.

You would think that Cellular One couold see what towers I am hitting and why I calls fail when I have full bars.

Any ideas?
    Thanks for your input, cause this is making me nuts.

4. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hmmm. It sounds like Cellular One has a very crowded network in your area. That is why the calls are failing. If they put more capacity on the tower you use, then you wouldn't probably have this problem. If thats the case then the yagi antenna pointing towards the tower wouldn't help. You could call and complain to Cellular One about the capacity issue. I don't know if this is right but maybe the 'Emergency only' problem may be that the tower is overcrowded at the time and it will only let you complete a call if you only dial 911???

Also, is Cellular One a very popular cellular provider in your area?

Thats all I can think of right now. Anybody else with some ideas?

5. jsykas

jsykas New Member

So far Cellular One is no help. Twice I went on line with the problem, they replied asking for address, phone type, etc info. I replied numerous times, but have heard nothing back.

Last night my cheap Nokia worked fine and still worked this morning, full bars full service.
    The Motorola works if I reregister the network before each use as it goes back to Emergency Only after sitting for two minutes. This means I can not get incoming calls. After reregistering it says Cellular One and I stay connceted as long as I am on a call.
    The Sony shows three Cellular One networks and if it cannot connect, just change to antoher, reregister and it works fine for a while.
    All three keep full bars.

Cellular One must have the ability to see what towers I am hitting and see what my problem is. I just don't know how to get them on the case. I call 611and it sasy I have to contact my carrier directly. I call the 800 number for customer service and they are very nice, tell me they put in a repair order but nothing has ever happened.

My 14 days free period will be up soon. I hate to seek another carrier.

6. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I say just drop Cell 1 and move to another carrier!! Give me your zip code and I can see what available in your area!!

7. jsykas

jsykas New Member

Thanks, I picked up a Cingular phone yestrerday and that works decent in 18851 Latitude longitude 41.90518 -76.16118 in maps.google.com

Cingular doesn't have as many bars but it works. Better than full bars that don't work