1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Echo of My Voice During Calls

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by cgd, Jan 29, 2006.

1. cgd

cgd Junior Member

Lately I hear my voice echo when I'm talking to someone. I don't hear any echo of theirs, only mine. This happens with different handsets, less with the Nokia 6010 than others. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you find any phone less likely to echo your voice? I don't want to hear my voice--this echo is very annoying!

2. JR1

JR1 Junior Member

My friend got a new phone and when we talk I always hear my voice echo back. I hate it. She even went an traded it for another one (same model) and it still does it. This doesn't happen when I talk with anyone else. Hers is a LG 2000.

You are right it does get on your nerves.

3. cgd

cgd Junior Member

I've got basic, reliable Nokias and a RAZR. That's strange that you only hear it with her and even though she traded phones. I've also tried several different phones. Maybe it's a network problem?

4. mframe

mframe Senior Member

I read on HoFo that this is usually an issue specific to a single tower. It is faulty echo-cancelling circuitry. If you report the location where it occurs to your provider, they can send a technician out to check the nearest tower(s).

5. cgd

cgd Junior Member

Thanks, mframe. I'll call them tomorrow to report this.

6. JR1

JR1 Junior Member

I never thought about the tower causing it. I did read over at phone scoop that the LG C2000 has this problem a lot. Maybe it is more sensitive to it.

7. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My experience with echo is one of the parties involved has their volume all the way up, and their mic is picking up sound from the phone's speaker (especially when using speakerphone). I encountered this a couple of times after I edited my phone to boost the volume settings. I have learned that you can make the phone "too loud", and backed my volume down just a little from there and I haven't had any problems since.

-Jay

8. paulmac

paulmac Senior Member

Yeah, what he said :uppoint: I have read that doing seem edits in a razr can cause this problem if you boost it to far. My daughter has the LG C2000 and she has not experience the problem you are having. I have had this happen from time to time usually hang up and call back clears it. But if it is consistant maybe it is a network problem

9. cgd

cgd Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. Jay, I have a RAZR but haven't seem edited it. I'm afraid to mess it up! I thought about the volume, but it's not turned up unduly loud. And the fact that it happened with several handsets leads me to believe it might be beyond my phones. I'll see how it is this evening. If it's still going on, I'll report it to Cingy.

10. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

It could be your phone, the other person's phone, or a problem somewhere in the network. Most of the times I've encountered echo I just bumped my volume down a notch and it stopped, so it was me. My Dad's phone will echo every time he puts it on speakerphone, so I guess the mic is a tad too sensitive, and it is picking up sound from its own speaker.

-Jay