1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corporate Discount

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by dogbroiler, Nov 5, 2004.

1. dogbroiler

dogbroiler New Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to this forum ... and need some guidance.

How closely do companies like Cingular, Verizon and ATTWireless check (or verify) your identification if you try to open a personal (non-work) account and claim to work for a company that has a corporate discount ?

From my dealings with Cingular and ATTWireless, via their terrible Customer Care lines and their equally shabby service in their stores, I get the impression that they just want your money ... whether or not you work for a company that has a corporate discount.

Pls advise.

Thanks
    :rolleyes:

2. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC One X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Nextel
    ATT never checked for mine. I just called up and told them I work at XYZ and want to to avail of their corporate discount and they did it, no questions asked.

3. dogbroiler

dogbroiler New Member

The guy at ATT Wireless store told me that they have an entire department that does employment verification. My initial reaction was that he was full of it. I figure that they'd settle for my name on a 1 year contract, even if it's at 25% discount.

WHat are the consequences if they find out, thru some miraculous verification, that I don't work at company XZY any longer ?

4. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole... Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    They'll probably just make you change to whatever the newest consumer plan is and may make you pay the difference in arrears.

Let me tell you, though, that what you are contemplating is fraud, plain and simple, so if you DO get caught, it is entirely within the realm of possibility that you could be brought up on criminal charges. Is it really worth it to you to get that discount? (Also, know that AT&T and Cingular's maximum corporate discount is 19%, not 25%, unless you're an employee of the carriers themselves.)

I work for a company that has discounts with AT&T. AT&T sends a list of people who are enrolled in "employee-liable" plans with corporate discount to the telecomms department and they check it at intervals against the HR systems to make sure that people who WERE employed at the company and have since quit don't get the corporate discount anymore. If they find someone who doesn't match, they notify AT&T, who calls the customer in question and says, "Since you don't work there anymore, here are your choices for plans. Pick one, and sign a new 2-year contract."

We do not condone fraud here at Wirelessadvisor.com; the posting of ways to defraud other parties is cause for permanent ban -- read the rules.

5. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1030
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Western Wireless
    And that, my friends is worse than anything CingulAT&T can do to you. :D

By the way, welcome to the WA Forums, dogbroiler... and nice username. I can't wait to see your first custom avatar! :browani:

6. scottb

scottb Bronze Senior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    To get my employer's discount I have to contact our Verizon corporate rep. That weeds out non-employees pretty quickly.
    You should heed ZaphodB's advice.

7. mattlscc

mattlscc New Member

Not true about the max discount... I have a buddy that works for a company that gets 22% off... the AT&T employee who rang him up even quoted that he gets more of a discount than she does.... I'm thinking about joining his family plan with an iPhone at some point, once I can afford the one time fee of the phone. (oh, and he has no activation fees).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  8. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Vivid LTE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Please be mindful that the thread you posted in is 4 years old. I'm sure any info in this thread is no longer valid.

-Jay

9. Stephanextra

Stephanextra New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    It would be nice to hear from some of the collegues here what kind of discount they see on corporate level from the big providers (AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile)

In addition I wonder if anyone was able to receive a disount on other items than the monthly service charges and equipment with AT&T - especially roaming charges.

I am currently asking offers for a 400 user cell phone contract with 80% BB, 20% normal phones and most of the users being high international travellers (so high roaming charges in the past).

Anyone?

Thanks,
    Stephan

10. mattlscc

mattlscc New Member

Well, then I was just doing a public service announcement to update this thread and make it more valid with the times. Especially since lots of people are thinking about AT&T with the new 3G iPhone! Enjoy!