1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ARE YOU HAVING PASSWORD PROBLEMS? If so, please tell me by email : [email protected]

Cingular blue and orange???

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Rollindown95, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Rollindown95

Rollindown95 Junior Member Junior Member

what are these things and what are the differences between them? are they only in certain areas of the U.S like the south? are they still existent?

2. Quint101

Quint101 THE (Samsung) Beast

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Q's Mobile Device: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.6306/1528; en; U; ssr))

Blue represents the former AT&T Wireless network... Orange is the original Cingy network. In most areas of the country, the Blue network was integrated into the orange. In Blue only areas, cingular just changed the mnc code from 310-380 to 310-410. In terms of equipment, Cingular is letting the Blue customers keep their phones and service but they're not supporting the devices and sim cards in an effort to get everyone onto the same platform. I think that the California/Nevada region is the biggest and trickiest region to merge since cingular had to sell the orange network to TMOBILE and shift all of its customers onto the blue network.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  3. Quint101

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Also, California/Nevada has been the trickiest area to integrate because the Orange system had to be sold to TMobile; during this transition, Cingular is moving all of its customers onto the Blue network.

4. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    Galaxy S4 GE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; T-Mobile To Go; MTS; e-kit
    I think that's the only integration that's taking place here -- getting all of the Cingular subscribers to switch to the AT&T Wireless preference. They've been sending the new Cingular SIM cards to all the people still using PacBell/Cingular original cards that have preference for the 310-170 network.

5. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy Senior Member

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

It's amazing how long it's taking for this last area to be integrated. I guess it's such a big area vs what they did here in the NY/Northern NJ area that it's taking this long, we went very quickly here.
    I guess them also having to add towers to fill in the gaps doesn't help either.

Oh and Rollindown95, I am still a Blue customer, and Quint101 pretty much did an excellent description of the difference between the 2.

The only reason I haven't migrated over is the Orange SMS plans, compared to my Blue one & the fact I will loose 200 Anytime minutes (which 100 are promo), but would gain Rollover minutes.

6. Quint101

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Q's Mobile Device: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.6306/1528; en; U; ssr))

Wow... I'd try to hang on to that plan as long as possible also. Most Cingy subscribers were orange already. 1 person that had blue gsm in Orlando upgraded her phone due to service and phone issues. I also knew someone who had blue TDMA i'm not sure what happened... She may have upgraded or left. At least the prepaid GSM is on the same platform because the blue gophones were shut off on 9/30. I didn't hear of any integration issues in my area since North Florida was mostly blue with overlap in the cities. It was interesting seeing Cingular move some cell sites around town.

7. MesaFloyd

MesaFloyd New Member

My Phone:
    Mot T720 GSM
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    I have been Cingular (Orange) for 3 years now. (I cannot get reception to AT&T Blue in my house-I tried 3 years go, I have been fine with my Cingular-Orn)
    I fell prey to the 'sim card upgrade' bosted by Cingular. I went to the local Dealer to get the upgrade, went home, and I could not get reception. Long story short, they swiched me to Blue... It took 4 days to figure out what happened. The store would not return me back to my old Sim (back to blue)... I called Cingular several times and finally got it resolved.
    The untruth is the sim sets the Blue/orange... not true. When I called Cingular support and explained my problem <finally> ( I have the New/larger SIM), while on the phone, the switched me back to Orange, and I am fine now. Be careful upgrading if you have reception problems...

8. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS - happily holding crystal clear calls!

I would suggest that you do NOT upgrade to Cingular Orange - I did and I got stuck in a 2-year contract with sh*tty reception, dropped calls galoure, f*cked up customer service, and lots of backgroupd noise. Cingular is just a bigot, slag of a company (or as in American a fu*ked up a$$ of a company). I am going to Sprint and will enjoy it!

9. Quint101

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, T-Mobile
    I see that you are in California:confused: Apparently, Cingy didn't get its 850 Blue network fully functional yet. That's a shame that they want people to go onto the Blue system in CA but it isn't completely built out yet:mad: If service doesn't get any better, i guess that TMobile (the owner of the Orange network) or some other provider is in your future.

10. dmapr

My Phone:
    Galaxy S4 GE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Don't paint all of CA the same way. I have a Blue service and prepaid T-Mo and there are many more places where my T-Mo phone sits without service. Also, in CA Blue & Orange people are allowed roaming on T-Mobile, so in the few places where I don't get the Blue signal my phone swithces to T-Mobile. I'm in the Bay Area, so this may not hold true for the rest of CA, either ;)

11. Quint101

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, T-Mobile
    At least they didn't block out TMobile yet:) I wasn't painting the the whole state with a broad brush. Why is it that some people have good service in CA but the the OP in Santa Monica has to deal with network issues? Nice to know that the Bay Area is Blue friendly, but the network as a whole isn't up to par. Perfection isn't expected here, but if Cingy sends the OP a SIM, the service should work satisfactorily. At least the OP has working service now after calls to CS.

12. dmapr

My Phone:
    Galaxy S4 GE
    Wireless Provider(s):

Most likely the OP's issue is that the phone doesn't switch quickly enough when the signal is lost. I remember the MOTO V400 used to take a very long time to acquire a signal compared to my Nokia 6820.

Also, each area has it's own quirks. For instance, in the Bay Area there are localities where T-Mobile netowrk seems to be more complete and then there are others where Blue is stronger. Overall, there's still too many "striped" patches, where my phone goes Cingular-T-Mobile-Cingular as I drive through. IMHO, Cingular needs to patch up Blue network a lot if it wants to compete with VZW once T-Mobile roaming agreement is over.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the T720 does not have the 850MHz, it was added in T721. If that's indeed the phone the poster in question is using, with the new SIM the phone is limited to 1900MHz network, which is completely inadequate on Blue no matter which part of CA you go to.

13. Quint101

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Ah, we agree:D

I went to the Motorola T720 manual site and according to Motorola, the T720 GSM has both 850 and 1900 bands on it; maybe it's the network or, as you suggested, the phone isn't efficient enough.

14. dmapr

My Phone:
    Galaxy S4 GE
    Wireless Provider(s):

I guess I was mistaken :O Found this little tidbit here

I suppose unmodified phone released prior to change would indeed suffer from inefficient RF.

15. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge Senior Member

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch

Actually despite it saying it has the 850 it actually did not work. MOTO took it out of the info for a while and some how it made it back in. A friend of mine who had it and where I get a signal in my house (basement and that was only due to the into of the 850 in my area his did not get the signal until we went out where it caught on the 1900. we all need to remember that the 720 series phones were all problematic and that includes the CDMA ones.