1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Central VA - T-mobile vs. Sprint

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by kdean63, Nov 12, 2004.

1. kdean63

kdean63 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v60
    Wireless Provider(s):
    US Cellular
    I live in Charlottesville, VA, my contract with US Cellular is fulfilled and I'm considering two different companies with Smartphone options.
    T-Mobile (HP Ipaq 6315)
    Sprint (Samsung SP-i600)

I realize these are very different phones, but my primary concern is coverage in Central VA. I travel by plane to other major metro markets, so I'm hopeful that coverage there is not an issue. This forum generally seems to have a bias against Sprint. Is that because of their PCS technology or due to their level of coverage?

(Verizon & Cingular/AT&T are not options in this market.
    Providers here include - SunCom, AllTel, US Cellular, Sprint, T-Mobile, Nextel)

Thanks for any feedback & suggestions!

2. Hokie Pride

Hokie Pride New Member

I personally would not suggest either of them in C'ville. Expecially T-Mobile..
    Without a doubt they have the worst coverage around. Sprint In C'ville uses the Ntelos network which is has it's problems around here too. I know Alltel, US Cellular and Nextel have a good network in this area. As for traveling Alltel and US Cellular have agreements with Verizon to roam on them in most area's. Someone else would have to tell you about Nextel. I have a US Cellular and an Alltel phone in C'ville and both do really well. Why not stay with US Cellular??? Or is it the Smartphone you want???

3. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have to agree with Hokie. I wouldn't recommend T-Mobile or Sprint PCS for that area either. SunCom is just a awful company so stay away from them. Stick with US Cellular or consider ALLTEL. I think they are your two best choices for that area.

4. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

Sumcom in your area is going to be Cingular soon so you might wamt to look at them. :browani:

5. kdean63

kdean63 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v60
    Wireless Provider(s):
    US Cellular
    I've had great coverage with US Cellular, but I'd really like to have a smart phone. That is why I'm considering either Sprint or T-Mobile.

If U.S. Cellular uses the Verizon network, could I get the the Samsung i600 to work on US Cellular? That would be an ideal solution!

6. ducm900s

ducm900s New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v810
    I have Sprint service and live in the Charlottesville area. I have few to no problems with it. In fact, I can often make calls, while friends can't. I've used US Cell and was disappointed with them.

7. BCG

BCG New Member

I too live in Charlottesville. Over the past 5 years I've tried nTelos, Sprint, Nextel, and now have Alltel. If you travel (at all) off the I-64/Hwy.29 corridors, and coverage is your main concern, Alltel is the by far the best option, IMO. People I know who have tried T-Mobile have not been pleased with it - basically coverage exists for the immediate area along I-64 and 29, and that's it. When I had Sprint, I also found it fades away once off the main E-W or N-S highways (works fine in Charlottesville itself, but then so does T-Mobile).

Alltel's coverage is superb in this neck of the woods, but you will find their phone selection limited, unfortunately. Myself, I have the LG LX5550, and have been very pleased with it - it meets my needs, but doesn't sound like it would satisfy yours. They only have one smart phone - the Kyocera 7135, which seems to have mixed reviews at www.phonescoop.com.

That's my $0.02 :)

8. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    T-Mobile roams off Suncom in southern VA where they don't have native coverage.

9. XxcyrusxX526

XxcyrusxX526 New Member

Dont forget Suncom will become Cingular soon in your area...so if suncom has good service in your area, you might want to wait.

10. thanek

thanek New Member

I have had an HP iPaq 6315 with T-Mobile since Sept 2004 and I am SO happy my contract is over this month. I recommend neither the service (spotty all over--like no signal at US 29 & Hydraulic in the middle of Cville!)--nor the device (good PDA, lousy telephone).

I am going to try Verizon (rides on Alltel here) with the new Samsung i730--I've had good luck with earlier Samsung smartphones.

11. DrStud2000

DrStud2000 New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung E715
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If it had to be a choice between the two, I'd personally go with Sprint, although neither was exactly stellar in the area.

A friend of mine went to UVA, lived at a house right off of Stadium Dr. Sprint varied greatly depending on the phone used. I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be that Samsung phones would generally get you nothing with Sprint, but when I upgraded to a Sanyo it was near perfect.

Once I switched to T-Mobile (trying to save a few bucks), I had to use my friend's Sprint phone anytime I needed to make a call (and her's was no prize either, once again a Samsung Sprint phone).

I can't really speak about the rest of C-ville, and bear in mind the last time I was there would be almost 2 years ago now. But that's what my experience was.

12. larry

larry Go Lakers!
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG G3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    If you think the forum has a bias now you shold have been here 4 years ago! :eek: It was much worse then. But Sprint has changed a lot since then and have much better coverage as well as free roaming included with plans now.