1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cell phone repair course's

Discussion in 'Working or Investing in the Wireless Industry' started by Shack's, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shack's

Shack's New Member

Hi folk, how you all doing, My screenames is Shack's, My name is Mark, I live in Cumbria, The Lake District in United Kingdom.
    Now the thing is I had a works accident nearly 5 years ago, and it's due to be settled for damages in September this year, part of the settlement is money for retraining into a new career & all tools needed in this career.
    So what I am looking for is the best course around for repairing cell phones in America, or elsewhere in the world. So what I am asking for is information on repair courses please, if anyone can help I would be very pleased.
    Thank you everyone & and you and yours take care. :D

2. Blue_Tech

Blue_Tech Member

My Phone:
    LG VX6000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Bluegrass Cellular
    Currently I work within the lower ranks of the engineering dept. with my company. A career in this industry is more of a learned business than a taught trade. My case in point, it is really hard to find a school that will teach wireless telco classes on campus, although there are a TON of online courses out there. Heres where I've been, and I suggest this path to anyone pursuing these careers.

I first cut my teeth in wireless as a Tower Climber. It was a low paying, hardworking job. I'll repeat, the pay was dirt, and it was hard as :censored: . Climbing to 345 Feet to replace a bulb, and then do some paint work in the 98 Degree Sunfor 9 Bux an hour is rough. I did thoroughly enjoy it though, the views are incredible from that height. Especially when your doing tower work for the forestry service in some of our nations federal parks. In short, I got good experience in this job. Site construction and maintenance. Rack installation. Coax, wave-guide, panel, panel mount, dish installation. Co-Location assistance, and I met some very interesting people. LIKE YOU, I wanted to get on the technical side of the industry, so I started bugging the cell site tech's that I saw every day. All of them told me to find a job repairing hand-sets, and start from there.

Phone repair, contrary to popular belief is a "mostly" low paying job, usually at the very bottom of the totem pole with most wireless companies. One day I spied an ad in the paper for "Service Technician" with a small local company. With a modest background in almost any repair industry, and some minor electronics knowledge, you would be set to go for a job like this. However, HOWEVER, keep in mind that alot of companies dont even do repair work anymore. Most wireless companies are simply packing up the bad handsets and shipping them back to the manufacturers where the handsets are either repaired or recycled. If you would like to repair handsets for the manufacturer directly, you better go get an A.S. Degree in Electronics at the minimum. And I hope you like factory work, because thats pretty much what it's like. Factory shops are large facilities, like Nokia Repair in Melbourne, FL. It's basically production line. Thousands of broken phones in every day, thousands of fixed phones back out, day in, day out.

Anyways, like I said, I scored a repair job with a small carrier where we did in-house repair, on the spot for customer. Component level trouble shooting with an O-Scope, testing with IFR equipment and the like. We also did hands-free kit installation on site for the customers. In the 2 years I spent at that place, I learned everything I needed to know through hands-on training. It does however help to be very mechanically inclined, and at least know how to use a soldering iron BEFORE you get there. I saw lots of guys come and go, but you can be sure of this, they (any company still doing in-house repair) will hire just about anyone with any level of skill. Most in-house tactics can be taught on the job. So keep your eye out for a local gig, that's your best bet. Then, while your working, you can goto a local community college and get an A.S. in Electronics, or Land-line Telco Degree. This further education will be vital if you wish to excel in the wireless industry, at least on the technical side. Most often, anything further education needed will be company provided. My company often sends us to Nortel, Lucent, and WLS E-911 training sessions, among others.

After 2 years installing and repairing handsets, I put in for a promotion to our engineering dept. where I currently work as a Surveillance Tech. I am responsible for monitoring and logging failures of 2 Nortel DMS100 switches, 180+ cell sites, 2 MVP voice-mail systems, 2 Data networks, 180+ miles of fiber line, and many other things. We pull alot of reports and do alot of remote trouble-shooting as well as calling out field personnel when necessary. If you want to work in this environment as a Switch Tech or Engineer, I highly suggest taking some courses for UNIX, or familiarizing yourself with Linux and Sun Solaris/SunOS. Network admin training would serve you well. My ultimate goal is to get into Field RF Engineering, and being out in the field instead of trapped behind this desk.
    So my classes at the college consist of mainly digital controls and land line training so that I can learn about T1/PCM Theory as well as other things.

I hope I've helped you, and would be glad to answer more questions. There are a multitude of ways into this industry, and the sky is the limit. If you stay in it long enough, a well paying career is only ONE of the benefits.

C'ya!

3. mobiletutor

mobiletutor New Member

if u really want to learn how to repair a mobile phone .then join kssinfotech mobile phone course as they conduct chip level repairs of all types of mobile phones .Even software flashing unlock upto color & camera phone s .All type of problems like network ,display , power, water damage , unlocking , flashing is incuded in the course . fro further detials log on to www.kssinfotech.com
    or call on 0091-9845186383 .

4. KINGBOY

KINGBOY New Member

Computerised Mobile phone repair training course

For Professional grade Cell / Mobilephone ( Hardware & Software ) repairs and maintenance training / courses. Please visit our websites.
    www.ieasmobilize.com
    www.ieas.co.uk

Best wishes,
    I.E.A.S

5. danie

danie New Member

:cool:
    ii what to do coure in mobile repairs please

6. shafiqul

shafiqul New Member

7. Spud

Spud New Member

Anyone thinking of taking a course with this guy please PM me for a complete description of how their course is conducted on-line. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Having signed up with them in Feb 2006, I am able to give a complete up-to-date description of their teaching methods. Contacting me could save you $300.

8. Hatchetman41527

Hatchetman41527 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo S1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Alltel
    Here's my 2 cents,

I got my start in a two-way radio shop as an installer. Then after about a month I moved into the shop and started repairing mobile and portable radios and pagers. This is a great way to get some hands on experience with component level repair and electronic theory ans principles.

I would suggest a start in the 2-way field as we are starting to see some CDMA technology spewing over into Land Mobile Radio as well.

Either way, it's worth it to just get your feet in the door anywhere to gain some knowledge and experience. Owning your own tools and test equipment (ie: Service Monitor, Site Master, etc) as I do. This is a big investment though, that I had to do over several years.

9. billp

billp Junior Member

My Phone:
    lg vx8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    any good classes in the usa that are a school setting or at home

10. billp

billp Junior Member

My Phone:
    lg vx8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    looking for a us based school no offence.

11. panjwani

panjwani New Member

Hi, i live in dallas tx
    Please help me out what i do to learn cellphone repair!

12. reddycom

reddycom New Member

Are there any technicians looking for work in Melbourne Australia?
    Plz message me

13. jaubry001

jaubry001 New Member

Hi there

What can you tell me about the online mobile phone repair course run by Kissinfotech only I have made contact with them and I am thinking of registering?

Regards

jaubry001
    Adrian
    Preston, Lancs

14. shafiqul

shafiqul New Member

15. notagain

notagain New Member

I've registered for cellphone course at Cellbizz International based in the Philippines. I've opted for the DVD training since I am based in South Africa. I've paid and am still waiting for a month now for the product. I'll be extremely dissappointed if it turns out to be fake. Really wanted to learn about cellphone technology. If anyone else has experienced the same, let me know. Maybe its just me and the parcel has gone missing. Otherwise I'll keep send emails to Mr Cruz till he hopefully replies back with some answers.

16. mobiletutor

mobiletutor New Member

well u can go ahead & join for the course .U will get what ever u paid for .Its pretty safe & worth the infos they are providing starting from the disasembly upto the latest bga removal videos , repair hints , service manuals are pressented in a good way .More over u get one year of online support for any repair problems .
    Deliery will take 1-2 weeks .u have to wait for that much period to receive the cds . thats only hitch . other wise it is very good & trust worthy

17. mobiletutor

mobiletutor New Member

yeah i am looking for it man .i am from india .i f u have any openings u can contact me on 0091-9448332382

18. mobiletutor

mobiletutor New Member

19. notagain

notagain New Member

Really disappointed with Cellbiz and Ronaldo Cruz. All their web sites now have either disappeared or don't work. I think it was a scam all along and I've now lost out. Luckily I have some friends based in Manila.

20. gadgets crusader

gadgets crusader Junior Member

My Phone:
    n6630
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SMART COMMUNICATIONS,GLOBE
  21. Rovolet

Rovolet New Member

Watch out for CellurDr---they are a bad company with which to do business. They do not have money back guarantee on anything including their own mistakes. Worse, the low-level technician who answers phone is a fibber and will not let you talk to the owners.
    Do not send them any work or buy anything from them as they do not tell the truth.

22. mmmmna

mmmmna Junior Member

My Phone:
    Droid X2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I personally do not work in the cell industry, but I can't help thinking a radio amateur license would be a bit of a clue to industry staffers that you might be useful.

23. jpscomm

jpscomm New Member

you got pm sir thanks :)

24. KINGBOY

KINGBOY New Member

25. RadioEngineer

RadioEngineer Junior Member

My Phone:
    Razor
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT
    I agree 1000% that a ham license training course would be a great free start. I also suggest that; rather than a narrow focus on cell phone repair in a short course, the earnest student would look at a good correspondence course from Online Distance Learning - Cleveland Institute of Electronics.Tuition can be paid over time and at very low interest- this is a great on line school. My wife is has taken courses from them and I think their materials are super comprehensive.
    Have a Five Bar Day,
    Bill, CPBE/CSRE
    Certified Professional Broadcast Engineer/Senior Radio Engineer, FCC General Class Commercial [First Phone] with Ship Radar Endorsement, and Advanced Class Amateur licensee.:D
    See all the things one can say with their signature and you too you can say if you study!!
    Signal Bars R Us

26. notagain

notagain New Member

Hi Gadgets Crusader,
    I'm extremely sorry that I only saw your reply now. If I had seen it last year I would have asked you then for your help. All I wanted to find out if Cellbiz was a recognized cellphone training company and if in fact that 'Ronaldo Cruz' does in fact exist. Their web sites are very convincing and I guess I was conned into believing that it actually existed, and that is why I paid for a course and have not heard from them since, except for excuses for 3 months and now silence.

Depressing as it is, I have learned not to trust any companies advertising training on the internet and will pass on my experience to all about Cellbiz and Ronaldo Cruz. Hopefully it will spread around the world and Cellbiz will be stopped. If you do get a chance to investigate Cellbiz on the internet and Ronaldo Cruz, then maybe you can also let the world out there know what a con artist he is.

27. CPR-CellPhoneRepair

CPR-CellPhoneRepair New Member

I am sorry to hear that you got con'd out of your money. All internet offers of training are not scams. If they sound to good to be true than usually they are just that. Why trust someone with your hard earned money when they have nothing to back it up? Home_-_Cell Phone Repair Franchise is as legit as they come, with over 16 locations! Future members of WA please do not get con'd by posers in the industry.

28. jimjaam

jimjaam New Member

Re: Cell phone repair course's in United Kingdom

Confusion here , all the contact no. are not UK ones!! but you said training center in UK?? Please enlighten me!!!

29. CPR-CellPhoneRepair

CPR-CellPhoneRepair New Member

Very nice catch, unfortantely like most PRETENDERS they willl not respond. However, you probably have saved at least one member from losing out on their money.

30. notagain

notagain New Member

Re: Cell phone repair course's in United Kingdom

Those numbers are based in the Philippines. If you read my earlier messages, you will find out that Cellbiz or whoever they claim to be will gladly take your money upfront and not reply. So, unless you are able to go to the Philippines to attend their courses (if they have such a course), stay away from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.