1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ARE YOU HAVING PASSWORD PROBLEMS? If so, please tell me by email : [email protected]

Cell Phone Freezes

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Medic7, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    I'm not sure if this means something (could become a problem in the future)? But back in July I got the new i580 Motorola/Nextel Phone. A really great phone!

But twice since I've had it, the phone "freezes" when I'm dialing. The first time I think it rebooted itself (turned off) and I then turned it back on. The second time (happened last weekend) when I was dialing it froze and I had to turn it off, then back on and it was fine.

I have not downloaded any tones or anything onto it. I've not surfed the net with the phone.

Should I be concerned? Call Motorloa? I know Nextel always says to call Motorola with phone problems.

Ideas here please?

2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1030
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Western Wireless
    I've had that happen a few times with my v620. MOTO's software is notoriously buggy but it shouldn't be a huge problem. Sometimes my phone will restart, sometimes I have to remove the battery to restart it but it doesn't happen often.

I've heard that if you turn your phone off for a few minutes every day, it can lessen the times it freezes. I don't know if that's true or not but I do it every night before I put my phone on its charger.

3. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Thanks MOTO!
    I take it you've not returned your phone to Motorola (while under first year warranty) to work on it?

4. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1030
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Western Wireless
    I haven't. I did a fair bit of research before I purchased my v620 and I knew it had somewhat buggy software. I also purchased it used, so I don't think I had a warranty.

If your phone is still under warranty, I would suggest having it sent it to see if they have firmware fixes for some of the issues. It couldn't hurt.

I love my v620 (I had wanted a v6XX since I first saw the v600 in September of 2003) so I'm okay with sometimes having to restart but if I could get that fixed, I totally would.

5. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel

That's just the thing. The phone is not out on the market even a month (Motos newest phone), just came out July 8. So any fixes, I doubt are out yet. I may just wait a few months then call and ask about sending it in.

6. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1030
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Western Wireless
    Call and report the issue to NEXTEL and if they tell you to call Motorola, call and report it to them, too. By reporting it, you'll help them (I hope) build a firmware fix for the issue. Or, it could just be an issue with your phone and they'll tell you to send it in.

7. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Any idea on how long the turn around time is when a phone is sent into Motorola? Until you get it back? And do they delete all of your pics and contact list?

8. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1030
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Western Wireless
    I don't know... usually turn around time is 8-12 weeks but I can't say for sure. I've never sent a phone for warranty repairs, so I don't know if your contacts, etc. are deleted. All I know is if you have any non-Motorola parts on the phone, take them off prior to sending the phone in or you won't see them when the phone comes back.

9. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy Senior Member

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have had this happen 3 times with my i530, and it required me to remove the battery to get it working again.
    I have to say with all of my other MOTO's this has never happened and am suprised this one does it. It has cost me 2 times missing pages for Investigations which luckily others called me on my other cell to let me know about it.

I would do what MOTOhooligan suggested & call Nextel and Motorola about this, see if they know of a problem with the software & maybe can give you a solution for the problem.

I know next month at our meeting I am going to see the person in charge of our Nextel's to see if he knows anything or will give me a new unit.

10. budney

budney Resident Headbanger Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia Lumia 1520
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I am guessing that Nextel phones have the same insurance & policies that Sprint phones do? If you have insurance they should replace the phone outright at the store, no dealing with MOTO required. And of course if you don't you will need to send it to Moto. I would recommend taking it to the store the next time it freezes, let the tech/rep see that is frozen. They should be more eager to help you if they see the problem. :)

11. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Called Nextel today and unless it's within 30 days of purchase they send you to Motorola. I called their tech help for Nextel. First option they said is to try a new battery (which I did) and it so happens they may be right as I've not had it happen since I got a hi-cap battery for the phone (different one than original). They said option #2 is to pay $55 bucks (all costs included) and send it in using their "door to door service" and FedEx picks up and returns within 48-72 business hours. Option three is the standard and you return postage yourself and they fix and send back to you. Takes 10-14 business DAYS. Or you can take it to a local nextel repair shop (we have none in my area).

She gave me a ticket number. Said she would wait to see if it happens again. If it does then do something, but she said the battery change may have done it as sometimes there's a problem with the battery and it causes the phone problems. So I'm hoping this is the problem.

Now I called my local Nextel shop and he said I could do a "phone swap" where for $35 I call 2 days before and order a phone (re-furbished) and then take it to the store and they swap the phone. He said at this time, since the i580 is so new he does not "think" there are re-furbed ones yet, but he's not sure but he "thinks" I'd probably get a new one since it's only been out a month. He also said the cause could be a "bug" in the software, or that the web browser was updating at the time I was dialing or using the phone. I don't know if he was saying this to make me feel better or what, but then he said "if it's something major it would probably happen more often."

12. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hopefully the battery is the problem with the phone for you Medic7, and you will not have to send it to them for repairs.

If I keep having these problems with my Nextel, I will see if they will get me a Hi-Capacity battery for mine, or I will get my own on Ebay.

Keep us posted on this.

13. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Will do Fire14. I'm really hoping it was the battery. So far it's been good.

On another note. I'd advise the i580 for all EMS. Even if you have to buy it yourself (ebay) the phone is one that's 1000 times better than the 530 and 560. Completely made of rubber (no plastic) and even the battery cover has rubber molding around the edges to keep water out. Keys are rubber and have rubber around the seams. Double speakers on the inside (no outer speaker). And it has a camera that's molded into it (different than the oher models).

If it was the battery, I can see this phone easily lasting years (bore it being lost or dropped in a toilet or such).

Thanks for your help Fire14!

14. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No Problem Medic7, I would love to talk our Director of OEM to switch us to this i580, it does sound sweet & looks nice.
    I do have to say my i530 has been thru the ringer & keeps on ticking (when I get service).

When I worked PT for 3 different BLS companies, they all had Nextel's but none of them had these heavy duty Military Spec'd units, and felt they should, especially when your on an extrication or loading a patient & the phone drops on the ground, or in the rain or snow working on someone.

Again good luck & be safe.