Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Join Now
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cell phone contract for non-US residents

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Sep 3, 2002.

  1. Guest

    Expand Collapse

    anyone here living in the US who is not a US citizen (and therefore does not have a SSN) managed to get a phone & contract with anyone?
    Ive had a WHOLE lot of trouble trying to get a plan so far from anyone...any hints?

    Im in Washington DC, so Id also like to here some peple's opinions on good plans/carriers to go with for this area.
  2. Kenny

    Expand Collapse
    Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Oct 10, 2001
    Likes Received:
    SSA (Social Security Administration) used to issue Social Cards that read "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT" this was used for those who "are lawfully admitted to the U.S. but don't have INS permission to work. You need this card if a federal or state law requires you to have a Social Security number to get a benefit or service." I believe after 9/11, it's been tougher to get one of these.

    What most people do is they get an ITIN. "Tax Identification Number are assigned by the Internal Revenue Service, not the Social Security Administration. It is issued to certain nonresident and resident aliens, their spouse, and dependents. The ITIN is only available to individuals who cannot get a Social Security Number (SSN). It is a 9-digit number, beginning with the number "9", formatted like an SSN (NNN-NN- NNN)."

    Otherwise, without decent credit history you'll have to stick with the pre-paid plans such as Verizon's Free-up or perhaps Virgin Mobile.

Share This Page