1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blackberry Desktop Manager's Application Loader

Discussion in 'Blackberry Phones' started by greyknight17, Sep 17, 2006.

1. greyknight17

greyknight17 New Member

I have a BlackBerry 7290 and seem to have problems each time I try to connect my BlackBerry through the Desktop Manager. Last time I uninstalled the software and it worked again...more likely that I didn't plug it into the USB 2.0 card/port (was using USB 1.1).

This time, when I try to launch the Application Loader and click Next, it does nothing. I tried USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 ports (on a PCMCIA card).

Do I have to use the newest version of Desktop Manager to do this maybe? I think I have the version right before 4.2 (4.1.2 I think). I just want to install some software to the BB.

Anyway I can install the software using the cod/alx files? Or these must be from Application Loader? What does the BB browser accept as a acceptable install extension?

Thanks.

2. paulmac

paulmac Senior Member

My Phone:
    Bionic - Rooted
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Not sure I understand your question :headscrat but you the app loader will only recognize .cod and .alx files. The new desktop manager version 4.2 has a media manager which allows you to transfer ring tones, pictures, etc from a computer to the device, however, currently that feature only works for the 8100.

Another option to install software on the BB is over the air. Meaning that some places that offer software for the BB offer a link you can point your BB too and download the software over the air without having to go through your desktop.

3. greyknight17

greyknight17 New Member

Thanks for the reply paulmac.

The problem is that I can't seem to use the App Loader to install software on my BB. I did it before but can't seem to get it working this time. I connect the BB to the USB 2.0 port and open Manager. Then click on App Loader and hit Next. The button is then greyed out...nothing happens after that.

Are the online downloads using alx or cod also? I got some of my apps that way but it doesn't seem like all of them offer it like that.

4. paulmac

paulmac Senior Member

My Phone:
    Bionic - Rooted
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The app loader only looks in one place on your computer I believe for new apps. And what it looks for primarily are new handheld OS upgrades. If your curious the path is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files. That said after you launch apploader it compares whats in that folder to what is installed on the handheld and if there is an upgrade offers to install it. If not the next screen should have an ADD button toward the top of the screen which allows you to manually point to where the application you want to install is located. (ie C:\unzipped\folder name)

If you cannot get you app loader to work correctly, try uninstalling the desktop software and re-installing. Also, have you tried the new Desktop version 4.2? In another post there is a link if you want to download that and install it instead. This is the latest desktop software, has some features that will only work on the 8100 and beyond. I am using it with my 8700, and have used it with my 7100 and have had no real problems. An occassional java error when it attempts to launch, but ususally just re-starting the program (after removing my device from the USB connection) and it works fine.