1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best signal strength

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by LLane, Aug 24, 2007.

1. LLane

LLane New Member

I live in uptown Manhattan and have been trying out Verizon as my wireless provider. I switched from T-Mobile because that one was completely dead indoors, and I was told that Verizon was the best. However, I still have the hardest time using Verizon from inside my apartment. Almost every call I make is eventually lost and the conversations are very choppy. I know that they say that they can't guarantee indoor coverage, but most of my colleagues are able to rely solely on a mobile phone (no home phones) and I was hoping I could do the same.

My AT&T prepaid actually works better in my apartment, no voice choppiness and more bars. But I am hesitant to make yet another switch because I hear that Verizon is really better than AT&T overall.

I have two questions here:

1.) Can anyone who's recently tried both Verizon and AT&T, specifically in the NYC area, share his/her experience?

2.) I have an LG8300vx. In one of the many calls I made to technical support, I was told that a Motorola might work better. Are there any specific models that provide better signal strength than others? I've read some old threads, but those were from almost a year ago and I figure things change.

Would very much appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks!

2. ansky

ansky Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I had AT&T and switched to Verizon about 3 months ago. I actually found that AT&T's coverage was just as good, if not better, than Verizon in many places. If AT&T works better in your apartment then go with it. AT&T has a solid network in NYC. Don't worry about all the Verizon hype.

3. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I agree & if your pre-paid phone works fine where you go & need the phone you will be fine since you will always be on the native AT&T network in NYC & the surrounding area's.
    The only thing you may want to consider is if you go to places outside the city on a regular basis is to compare the 2 & make sure AT&T will work for you in those areas as well.

As for switching to a Motorola with Verizon, I think you have one of the better phones with Verizon now (yes there are better but I don't know exactly which ones) I don't think it will make any difference for you.

As long as your in your trial period, then check out the AT&T pre-paid coverage & make the decision before the trial runs out & you are stuck with the Verizon phone especially if your not happy with it.

4. LLane

LLane New Member

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and made the leap to AT&T and so far am satisfied. Had the WORST experience returning the phone to Verizon, though. What a rude rep and manager. I'm never going back.

5. M in LA

M in LA Gold Senior Member
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Droid DNA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (since 1994)
    Whatever works best for you. :D Since you're paying the bill, that's what matters the most. Good luck with your new service.

6. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    I have found good and bad reps at most of the carriers. Keep us posted on how your pick works out. Good Luck.