1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Cell Service in Charleston, WV?

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by CyberSaint, Nov 30, 2005.

1. CyberSaint

CyberSaint New Member

What is the best cellular service based in Charleston, West Virginia? I travel occasionally across the state, and at times to other states nearby. I have a Cingular pre-paid plan, but often receive "out of service area" messages on my phone. There's a signal, but my service won't connect with it.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
    CS

2. royc

royc Junior Member

Alltel has good coverage, either on their own network or with free roaming on Verizon, US Cellular and Sprint in WV and surrounding states. Kentucky, however, is an exception. Many parts of KY, are roaming areas. Here's a link to their National Freedom plan and coverage:

http://www.alltel.com/personal/wireless/plans/national_freedom.html

royc

3. CyberSaint

CyberSaint New Member

I've looked at Alltel, and am impressed. Do you know what the basic difference is between their National Freedom plan and their Total Freedom plan, other than minutes?

CS

4. bmkarnes

bmkarnes New Member

National Freedom is on the partner networks. Total Freedom, Alltel picks up the tab on the roaming networks. Thats the bigest differance between the two besides the huge minute offset, only if you need the extra coverage would I ever suggest the Total Freedom plan, and since Alltel lets you change your plan any time you need to. Also you get 15 days to try the network and see if they cover where you need the most. They are also the only provider offering mobile to home free calling, on the National Freedom plan that is, Total Freedom pulls from the 1000 mobile to mobile minutes. Then you can add 7 pm off peak for $7. Hope this helps.

5. budone

budone Junior Member

If you choose the national Freedom 1000, nights begins at 7pm at no add'l charge. All for 49 beaners...of course minus taxes and fees.

6. djjim

djjim Senior Member

I have had Alltel for going on 4 years. I spend a lot of time in WV and OH. Mostly Beckley, Columbus and Mount Vernon. I have never had a problem with Alltel..they have been great. They even gave me an extra 100 minutes a month at no charge on my one year anniv. I thought that was great! I had Cingular before too and hated it! It was useless in Va along I81 corridor and I had "No Service" alot in other areas too! I RARELY get "No Sevice" with my Alltel phone. Just make sure you get a tri-mode phone with digital and analog capabilities...Motorolas are the best..try a V265 or V710...DO IT...TRY Alltel!

7. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

When you have service but cannot use it, you are most likely roaming on Cellular One. Cingular postpaid accounts can use that. If you think that covers you well, you may want to try a regular Cingular plan. However, it does seem that other carriers (Alltel, Cell One) may just cover the area better and with better plans.

8. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

I've never had a problem anywhere along I-81 w/ Cingular - even with my old TDMA phones. I used to regularly travel to Wilkes-Barre & Brackney PA and never had problems with Cingular service. I also never had problems going down 81 to the Harrisonburg area, and accross 33 through the mountains. My brother-in-law is from that area and all of our phones work quite well down there, except he is starting to feel the pinch of the TDMA network being shut down. I think he's finally going to upgrade to GSM this month.