1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best and Worst of PrePaid

Discussion in 'PRE-PAID Cell Phone Companies and Plans' started by Jaguar Mobile, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Jaguar Mobile

Jaguar Mobile New Member

Anyone who works for a prepaid company, is a consumer who uses/has used a prepaid company, or dealers/agents who offer prepaid services, what are the biggest pluses and minuses to the prepaid industry, in your opinions, based upon your experiences? I guess I'm just doing a little market research :p

2. Maximum Signal

Maximum Signal Senior Member

Virgin is owned by Sprint in the United States and use the Sprint network not Verizon's

3. Maximum Signal

No it does not , Virgin Mobile cards operate on the Sprint network. As stated before Virgin is owned by Sprint in the United States.

4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

I didn't think Virgin was owned by Sprint. Sprint owns Boost. I was under the impression that Virgin pays to use Sprint's network.

5. Maximum Signal

Actually Sprint bought out Virgin quite a while ago . They do not publicize it , but they do indeed own them.

6. Jaguar Mobile

Jaguar Mobile New Member

*very confused about responses to this thread*
    I guess it just wasn't a well written question. I'd rather believe that than the alternatives...

1 person likes this.
  7. M in LA

M in LA Gold Senior Member
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Posts were deleted because that member violated site policy, which is why you see responses that don't appear inline.

1 person likes this.
  8. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Jaguar, are you asking from the user experience point of view or the prepaid seller point of view?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. braddahmarv

braddahmarv New Member

I think Virgin Mobile and Boost are sister companies, and both operate off of Sprint Towers. I check both websites, and some of the reps that I see from Virgin Mobile, also appear on Boost's webpage. Whether both of them are actually owned by Sprint... I don't know.

10. Maximum Signal

They are both owned by Sprint

11. braddahmarv

braddahmarv New Member

I'm fortunate that Virgin Mobile works "okay" for my locality. Am certainly am glad that I'm not experiencing a lot of the headaches that others have around the country (I live in Hawaii). What drew me to VM is their monthly plan. For $35/month, I get 300 minutes of Talk Time and 2.5GB of data. For me, it's ideal because I rarely talk on my cell and I average 175MB of data monthly.

I used to be on contract with Verizon years ago, and when my monthly payment began to fluctuate each month (despite my never going over my allowance), I had to look for something else that was much easier on my wallet. The only great thing I have to say about Verizon, is that they do have great coverage, next to AT&T. Both carriers have good coverage around our island. As for VM... it is spotty around the island, but at least I get data coverage (text messages) in most areas.

12. Underwriter

Underwriter Junior Member

I like Page Plus: 1) They use Verizon's native network (the towers they own, not the towers they lease space on), 2) You can bring your own Verizon phone and 3) Excellent coverage in the South. I think the $80 plan w/2,000 minutes for one year is the best.

13. jayzor

jayzor New Member

PagePlus is also one of my choice for CDMA, I think it would be good for them if they advertise that users can activate verizon phones. When ST verizon byod was cancelled many users was disappointed. If only they advertised, they would have gotten those customers.

As for GSM, I like Solavei, ST(cs sucks though) and GoSmart.

14. Quint101

Quint101 THE (Samsung) Beast

While I mainly use Verizon postpaid, I do have 4 other prepaid accounts. They are cheap and easy to maintain.

1. I have my mother on a AT&T GoPhone $0.10/min plan. She insisted on playing games on her phone, so I got her a web capable ZTE flip phone. It works for her light usage. Mom's phone broke at the hinge, and I didnt want a contract.
    2. I have my aunt on a $20/month Virgin Mobile plan. Her VZW phone was falling apart and I refused to enter into a contract for a flip phone. The Kyocera works just fine for her. I had messaging disabled until VM removed the blocks. I solved the problem by not having extra funds on the account.
    3. I also have a Verizon prepaid plan that dates back to the Alltel days. Most of the features have been maintained. Only the expiration policy has changed. The Alltel plan only had a $4/month fee for nonuse. The Verizon version expires almost 3 years from the refill date.
    4. I have a T-Mobile pay as you go account from years back; I have gold rewards (any refill carries the balance over a year).

I have to admit that Verizon's prepaid CS is wonderful. VM's isn't professional sounding at all...at least they speak understandable English. Verizon's network is solid for talk and text...I keep it as a back up (when I need tech support for my smartphone). T-Mobile is maintained for network (i.e. does it work at my home/work). T-Mobile's network is still bad here, but they are improving.

Since my mom and aunt are in Atlanta, any network will do... so I ported them out of my plan. I am saving some money and I have more features on my plan.

15. Quint101

Quint101 THE (Samsung) Beast

I think that Page Plus cannot "say" that it uses the Verizon network, an open secret of sorts. Just like Tracfone/ST could not openly say that it piggybacks off of Verizon towers (sometimes).