1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baldwin, Michigan Coverage?

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by Di, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Di

Di New Member

I am trying to help friends find a phone that will work from Baldwin, Michigan..Her husband went to "party store", bought AT&T phone and contract w/world com. Phone/reception has always been terrible. Usually everyone hangs up. Can only hear a word here and there. Same story even when in town. Friend recently had some heart surgery. Needs a phone she can count on when he decides to drag her there for a week. She does have a daughter in the area, but cannot even stay connected to her.

Any suggestions on a phone/service that might work up there?

Thanks,
    Di

2. CDMA

CDMA Senior Member

My Phone:
    Casio G'z one boulder
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Do they live in Baldwin?

3. Di

Di New Member

No, they own property there and husband likes to go whenever he is on shutdown or off for a few days..They live in Monroe, Mi.

I have a Nokia through Verizon which I have always loved and never had a problem when traveling. Verizon couldn't promise coverage up there. I think we talked to Sprint also and AT&T..
    Di

4. CDMA

CDMA Senior Member

My Phone:
    Casio G'z one boulder
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    This is what I would do. Try Cingular first, because they have the best deals right now, and they now cover Monroe. A Cingular phone should roam on CenturyTel in Baldwin, the caller id and other features like voice mail indicator should still work while roaming there. Depending on CenturyTel's coverage in Baldwin, a Cingular phone may or may not work well there. I would buy a Cingular phone right before going up there to test it because Cingular has a 15 day return policy so they could return it if it does not work well up there. If it does not work well and they return the phone, I would then do the same thing with Verizon. Their single rate nation plans don't give you as many minutes to use up there, but they also have a 15 day return policy. Baldwin is on the south edge of the two local cell networks in that area, CenturyTel and Cellular One, chances are that one of these two local companies will have better coverage in Baldwin, but it may be hard to tell which southern Michigan companies have roaming agreements with what provider in the Baldwin area. Cingular generally roams on CenturyTel in Michigan. AT@T usually roams on CenturyTel also, but I don't know about worldcom. I don't know what provider a Verizon phone will roam on up there. Good luck.

5. Di

Di New Member

Thanks so much. Will get your info to them right away.
    Di

6. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Keep us informed

Jack

7. roadman1977

roadman1977 Junior Member

I have a question, when using a Verizon phone and you travel north of Verizon Wireless's home area, what network is used?

8. roadman1977

I have a question involving Verizon Wireless. When you are roaming in Northern Lower Michigan what carrier picks up the calls? What is the carrier for Northwest Lower Michigan? Northeast Lower Michigan? The area that I am talking about would run from Pentwater in West Michigan to Standish in East Michigan. Anywhere north of that line my phone roams.

9. CDMA

CDMA Senior Member

My Phone:
    Casio G'z one boulder
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Northwest lower is CenturyTel, SID 1336, and since CenturyTel is TDMA there, your Verizon CDMA phone will be in anolog. Northeast is CellularOne,SID 1337 and CDMA digital in most of their area. Of corse, these are the roaming carriers with the new 50036 PRL, which you can get by dialing *228.

10. roadman1977

How do you know all this information??? Is there a website or some other source where you can find out this information??

11. CDMA

CDMA Senior Member

My Phone:
    Casio G'z one boulder
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Not really, but I do have a book that shows maps and SID's of all the 800MHz Cellular carriers in the USA. I am always in northern Michigan with both of my cell phones and I use them a lot up there. I can view the network SID # that I am using by going into the menu on my phones, so I can tell who I am using when I travel to different areas. My job requires me to work with cellular equipment in different areas, so I have a lot of SID #'s already memorized.

12. roadman1977

Is there a place where I can obtain these books? I would be interested in this information. Thank you!!!!

13. CDMA

CDMA Senior Member

My Phone:
    Casio G'z one boulder
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Go to Amazon.com and search "cellular telephone books", there are many.

14. jmcdowell

jmcdowell New Member

I would think the best choice would be Alltel (formerly CenturyTel). They've got a tower on Wolf Lake hill just a few miles north of the village. It seems to have pretty good range, depending on type of phone.
    I have been able to hold that tower at least 10 miles (using older bag phone in a vehicle with no external antenna).