1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT&T's new line-up of Smartphones

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by JFB, Mar 30, 2009.

1. JFB

JFB Silver Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

*Press Release*

AT&T Unveils New Integrated Devices for Texting, Email and More

New Lineup of Smartphones and Quick Messaging Phones Offer the Latest in Style and Substance for Mobile Messengers

Dallas, Texas, March 30, 2009
    newsrelease

Text messaging and email are still the 'killer app' for mobile phone data use and AT&T is responding with a great new lineup of phones for the Spring season. AT&T* today announced a fresh new lineup of smartphones and quick messaging phones that make it easier for customers to message with friends and family and manage their business and personal lives on-the-go. Arriving in AT&T stores and online at Cell Phones and cell phone plans - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular in the coming weeks, these integrated devices add to AT&T's leading mobile phone portfolio.

In the smartphone category, AT&T debuted the Nokia E71x and the Samsung Propel™ Pro, two stylish smartphones that inspire fun, while delivering serious functionality. In addition, the Samsung Impression™ and Samsung Magnet™, and LG Xenon and Neon emerge to the lead AT&T's lineup of quick messaging phones and expands the number of full-keyboard mobile phones in AT&T's lineup to seven. Pictures of the new lineup are available at AT&T Media Kits | Mobile Handsets.

"Smartphones and quick messaging phones are no longer for early-adopters and text-happy teens," said David Christopher, chief marketing officer, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. "The ability to text often, or check your email from a phone is easy and more customers demand these features. These phones are a great addition to our best-in-class lineup and we can't wait to get them in our customers' hands in the coming weeks."

Nokia E71x
    The thinnest smartphone on the market, the Nokia E71x, will be available in the coming weeks for $99.99¹ and features a black steel finish and award-winning design. The Nokia smartphone, based on S60 on Symbian OS™ offers the Wi-Fi and the flexibility of many Symbian-based applications, in addition to AT&T's most popular services, including AT&T Navigator. The Nokia E71x is just 10 millimeters thin and will turn heads when you text friends, or check your corporate or personal email. Customers can learn more at Nokia E71x | AT&T wireless services.

Samsung Propel™ Pro
    The Propel Pro, a full-QWERTY silver and chrome compact slider smartphone with Windows Mobile 6.1 allows users to run full enterprise applications on the same platform they use to text and send photos. Evolving from the popular Samsung Propel™, business users and consumers looking for a full-feature smartphone with Wi-Fi will look to the Propel Pro, available in April for $149.99¹.

Samsung Impression™
    The nation's first commercially available AMOLED (active-matrix organic light-emitting diode) screen results in one of the brightest and clearest displays in the U.S. and is paired with a keyboard underneath an amazingly slim, metallic blue quick messaging phone that's all touch screen on the outside, all buttons on the inside. On sale for $199.99¹, the Impression has an included 3.0 megapixel camcorder-capable camera, 3.2-inch screen and full browser to maximize every pixel of color.

LG Xenon
    A quick messaging phone boasting a full keypad for text messaging beneath its vibrant colors and large touch screen display with customizable and intuitive user interface, the 3G-powered LG Xenon snaps 2.0 megapixel photos and offers the full suite of AT&T entertainment services such as AT&T Navigator, Napster Mobile, eMusic Mobile, and more. Xenon will be available in three colors: black, blue and red for $99.99¹. The Xenon is also featured in MTV's upcoming series "The Phone", executive produced by Justin Timberlake.

LG Neon
    Teens and text-happy adults will enjoy the LG Neon, a low-cost touch screen device available in the coming weeks. The green and white quick messaging phone features a full keyboard, 2.0 megapixel camera, and access to Instant Messaging, Mobile Email, AT&T Music, and the mobile Internet.

Samsung Magnet™
    The Magnet is an incredibly slim orange and black bar-shaped device that will appeal to teens who need a low-cost, quick messaging phone. The Magnet features a WAP browser and integrated camera in its sleek package and will be offered at an affordable price in the coming weeks.

All six devices can be paired with messaging bundles offering 200, 1500, and unlimited messages that cost $5, $15 and $20, respectively. Unlimited messaging is available for AT&T FamilyTalk® plan customers for all lines for $30. Data plans vary per device.

Samsung Impression and Propel Pro will arrive in AT&T stores on April 7 and 14, respectively, and the LG Xenon will go on sale on April 8. The Nokia e71x, LG Neon and Samsung Magnet will be available in the following weeks.

For the complete array of AT&T offerings, visit Wireless, DSL Internet, Digital TV Services, and Phone | AT&T. For product photos, visit AT&T Media Kits | Mobile Handsets.

*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.

¹ For the Nokia E71x, pay $149.99 and after mail-in rebate, receive $50 AT&T promotion card. For the Samsung Propel Pro pay$199.99 and after mail-in rebate, receive $50 AT&T promotion card, For the Samsung Impression pay $249.99 and after mail-in rebate, receive $50 AT&T promotion card. For the LG Xenon pay $149.99 and after mail-in rebate, receive $50 AT&T promotion card. A two-year service agreement is also required. AT&T promotion card valid wherever major credit cards are accepted and for 120 days after issue date. May be used to pay wireless bill. Not redeemable for cash and cannot be used for cash withdrawal at ATMs or at automated gas pumps.

2. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

(InformationWeek has a short story about the E71x coming to AT&T)

AT&T Nabs Nokia E71x Smartphone

The Symbian-powered smartphone will be aggressively priced at $99, a sign that Nokia is aiming to have a stronger presence in the U.S. market.

By Marin Perez
    InformationWeek
    March 30, 2009 02:15 PM

The smartphone, which will be called the E71x, sports a 2.4-inch screen and a full QWERTY keyboard. At 4.4 by 2.2 by 0.4 inches, the E71x is a sleek and thin smartphone, but it still packs multiple features for the mobile professional, including Wi-Fi, 3G, GPS and assisted-GPS, a Flash-capable browser, and Bluetooth. Thanks to deals with IBM and Microsoft, the handset can receive push corporate e-mail on the go from about 90% of businesses.

The handset will be powered by Symbian S60 3.2, which may not be too familiar for U.S. customers, but the operating system is a capable one that can handle messaging, multimedia, voice services, and Web browsing.

More

SW

3. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

I am looking forward to some new smartphones to AT&T's lineup. it's too bad SE is still asleep at the wheel.

4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

I'm so disappointed with Nokia. Once again, they issue a smartphone (E71) without all the necessary frequencies to make it a global GSM and 3G phone. It doesn't work in Japan, where I would need it.

They keep sticking with their inane philosophy; phones for certain regions, and not for all.

It is what attracted me so much to the iPhone. Of course, not everyone has my needs or interests.

VF

5. Charlyee

Charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Yes it is disappointing that the E71x is dual band WCDMA; however, I do see the launch of this in the USA as a very positive move on the part of Nokia. Great to see that they are aggressively going after the US market. This can only benefit us Nokia fans.:)

Like you said not everyone has the same requirement, I for one could do without the 2100 3G during my travels, and if I do find myself in Japan I can use one of my two Treos.

Ofcourse the ideal would to be to have all the WCDMA frequencies covered including the 1700.

6. SteveW

To be fair, as Charlyee said, as a quad-band EDGE phone, the E71x will work in Asia, you just won't get 3G data (for correction, see next 2 posts). This may also be one of the reasons this phone is very reasonably priced, at $99. The E71 is very highly rated on PhoneScoop (4.73 rating from users). Given all its features (3G for the US, GPS, FM radio, 3 megapixel camera, small/light body, QWERTY text keyboard, Wi-Fi, memory card slot, large QVGA display), it seems like a good, solid buy (unless you just have to have Google StreetView in Tokyo).

SW

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  7. viewfly

No, the E71 will not work in Tokyo, neither for voice, nor data. One needs 3G WCDMA on 2100Mhz.
    Quad Band GSM is of no use there. Believe me, I was in Japan last Fall, and only the 3 guys with Apple's iPhone were able to use their phones out of 50 foreign visitors from the US and Europe.

Nokia makes nice phones, (I've purchased them almost exclusively). Yet they constantly do the same thing almost (maybe all, I would need to check) with their phone line up. They play musical chairs, leaving out a needed band for someone. It was very frustrating for me. I had my eye on the E51, which had 3G 2100, Quad band GSM, 3G 850, but lacked the 1900 3G band for the USA!!! Simply Nuts. I think they rank next to GM as clueless managers.

Clearly it is easy to do, as Treo, Apple, Samsung, BB(?) have good offerings. It is just silly for them to do that.

8. SteveW

OK, I am corrected. Not having been to Japan, I was misled by my quick checking of the UMTS and EDGE articles in Wikipedia. It's still the case that quad band GSM works in most of Asia, including South Asia, excluding Japan. Also, just because it's "easy to do", doesn't mean it's cheap (for example, I'm easy, but not cheap). My guess is that much of the reason that Nokia is playing "musical chairs" is to keep costs down.

SW

9. viewfly

Considering that the US, Japan and the EU are the top 3 world economies, one would think that a global phone that covers all of the them would be nice. And of course China is included in that mix via $$ economy and GSM coverage too. I checked the Nokia US and UK sites. They don't make even ONE phone that would cover all of that base...for just voice!

Nokia does not tend to make inexpensive phones. Apple's phone is $199, a BlackJack II is $49 on the ATT web pages. Then there is the Bold and Palm editions. All cover the useful frequencies. It is not hard, nor expensive anymore. Non discounted by the carriers, the phones run about the same price.

I don't want to steal this forum, but I really don't understand Nokia's marketing. What they have offered, and still do, is two phones generally of the same model; one for USA bands and some global, and then one for EU bands and lacking a US band. How less expensive is it to inventory the same phone, but of different bands?

Anyhow, that is an old discussion (right Charlyee?). It just amazing that they continue in that vein. It's just what Nokia does.

10. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

Wouldn't something like the N96 work in all those territories, at least as far as voice is concerned? It is quadband GSM for use in Europe and the U.S. and it's 2100 MHz WCDMA should be able to do voice in Japan.

11. viewfly

Yes, but not quite. For my US-centric perspective, it doesn't fit the bill of something I would buy, and is a perfect example of what Nokia does. Nokia makes 3 versions of the same phone.

1. The N96 you mention, the RM-247, Global Edition, lacks both US 3G bands. Yes it would work for voice in Japan, but not 3G voice or data here, and in the crowded urban areas, 3G is becoming very important for clear audio. It would cost be $770 to buy from Nokia.

Quad band GSM
    3G 2100/900

2. The US version N96, RM 472 (clever number), is missing the 2100 3G bands, so no Japan. Again it's cost is$640 on line, since it is not carried by ATT (or anyone).

Quad band GSM
    3G 850/1900

The China N96, RM 297, is only Quad Band GSM Don't know it's cost.

But the Apple iPhone, cost me $199 and has:

Quad Band GSM
    3G 850/1900/2100

Which means it gives voice world over, plus Japan ( and 3G data), and even one 3G frequency for EU-UK ! You would think that Nokia would give the 3G 850 freq for the UK version, at least.

How can it cost Nokia less money to make and inventory 3 phones, compared to one phone from Apple (or Treo, or BB, or Samsung).

Doesn't make any marketing or PR sense.

12. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

I've wondered that myself. You would thing the old "interchangeable parts" philosophy would be financially beneficial to the manufacturers. That's why when I first heard about the BB Storm I thought Vodaphone would use the exact same model as VZW does in the US (CDMA, GSM, EVDO, and UMTS), but no, it's a GSM phone instead of a combo.

13. viewfly

The Storm is a pretty good phone. It certainly has all the freq. covered. Can you use the GSM in the US, if you have a good SIM (from ATT, tmobile)? Or is it blocked somehow?

14. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

If you unlock it, yes. Many people are doing this. The only problem though is that UMTS is that it is only on 2100. But GSM is quad band.

15. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

I used to be disappointed with Nokia back when everyone was doing quad-band GSM and Nokia kept pumping out those tri-bands. The pattern continues with 3G, but what worries me more is that some manufacturers (Sony-Ericsson, for instance) seem to be taking a step back. After releasing several 3G 850/1900/2100 models they seem to be going Nokia route in their latest models, instead of pushing towards 3G quad-band 850/900/1900/2100 now and penta-band 3G 850/900/1700/1900/2100 in the near future, when T-Mobile's 3G takes off. I wonder if they're already thinking about LTE more than 3G?

16. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

That is my complaint also with SE, they seem to take two steps forward than one step back.

17. viewfly

Could be, but it seems to me they are losing some market momentum in the meantime.

When is LTE due out? And will it be voice and data?

18. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

I imagine they are losing some market momentum, but they keep being stubborn :( :mad:

LTE is too far out (after all, even the standard hasn't been ratified yet) to be predicting the actual implementation dates, but considering the core of it is proposed to be all-IP I would say yes, both voice and data.

19. M in LA

M in LA Gold Senior Member
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Boy, Samsung's sure having fun with their naming scheme. They're starting to remind me of car names.

I'm waiting for the Samsung Dart, or the Samsung Pacer...:D

20. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

if Samsuck is a Pacer than LG is a Gremlin.

21. SteveW

(As previously announced...)

AT&T Releases Nokia E71x

The slim smartphone could be a sign that Nokia will become aggressive in the U.S. market.

By Marin Perez
    InformationWeek
    May 4, 2009 07:46 PM

AT&T (NYSE: T) released the Nokia E71x Monday, and the slim smartphone can be had for $99 with a new two-year contract.

The smartphone is powered by Symbian S60 3.2, which is somewhat unfamiliar to many U.S. smartphone buyers. Symbian is the most widely used smartphone operating system in the world, and it can handle multimedia, Web browsing, messaging, voice services, and text editing. AT&T has also put its branded software on the E71x, including access to its turn-by-turn navigation service.

The handset has a thin and sleek design, and sports a 2.4-inch screen and a full QWERTY keyboard. The E71x can use Wi-Fi, EDGE, and 3G to stay connected, and thanks to deals with IBM and Microsoft, the handset can get access to corporate e-mail on the go.

Nokia's smartphone can play multiple types of video and audio files, and it also has access to XM Radio and AT&T's Cellular Video service. There's also assisted GPS, expandable memory through the microSD slot, a Flash-capable browser, Bluetooth, and a 3.2-megapixel camera.

More...

SW