1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

#90 or 09# Scam for SIM cards - True or False?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by JFB, Jan 23, 2002.

1. JFB

JFB Silver Senior Member Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I recently rec'd and email about a potential scam related to GSM / SIM card phones. I usually don't pass on this type of email because greater than 99% of them are bogus. I have not forwarded it to anyone, but I thought it would be a good topic to discuss whether or not it could be true.

Here is the text of the email:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    <FONT size=2>
    WARNING - MOBILE PHONE FRAUD ALERT
    Everyone please be warned:
    If you get a phone call on your mobile from any mobile phone 'company engineer' telling you that they are doing a check on your phone and that you must press #90 or 09# . END THE CALL IMMEDIATELY without pressing the numbers.
    There is a fraud company on the go who have devised a device that once you pressed #90 or 09#, they can access your SIM CARD and make calls from it at your expense. Tell as many people as you can so we can stop this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (end text)

Is this even technically possible? I tend to doubt it highly, but I am no expert in GSM/SIM card technology.

JFB

</FONT>

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Note3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Regarding <u>landlines</u> I am aware of a dial-sequence that was being used by imprisoned criminals who would call an unsuspecting residence, claiming to be a tech testing the line, and ask for a dial-sequence. The dial-sequence would then allow the criminal to call anywhere using their prey's phone number and have it billed to the prey's phone bill. Obviously, I am not going to post what that sequence is.

I do not know of the same being true with wireless phones containing SIM cards (GSM phones).

3. disconut

disconut New Member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Vivid LTE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410