1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ARE YOU HAVING PASSWORD PROBLEMS? If so, please tell me by email : [email protected]

#90 or 09# Scam for SIM cards - True or False?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by JFB, Jan 23, 2002.

1. JFB

JFB Silver Senior Member Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I recently rec'd and email about a potential scam related to GSM / SIM card phones. I usually don't pass on this type of email because greater than 99% of them are bogus. I have not forwarded it to anyone, but I thought it would be a good topic to discuss whether or not it could be true.

Here is the text of the email:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    <FONT size=2>
    WARNING - MOBILE PHONE FRAUD ALERT
    Everyone please be warned:
    If you get a phone call on your mobile from any mobile phone 'company engineer' telling you that they are doing a check on your phone and that you must press #90 or 09# . END THE CALL IMMEDIATELY without pressing the numbers.
    There is a fraud company on the go who have devised a device that once you pressed #90 or 09#, they can access your SIM CARD and make calls from it at your expense. Tell as many people as you can so we can stop this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (end text)

Is this even technically possible? I tend to doubt it highly, but I am no expert in GSM/SIM card technology.

JFB

</FONT>

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Note3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Regarding <u>landlines</u> I am aware of a dial-sequence that was being used by imprisoned criminals who would call an unsuspecting residence, claiming to be a tech testing the line, and ask for a dial-sequence. The dial-sequence would then allow the criminal to call anywhere using their prey's phone number and have it billed to the prey's phone bill. Obviously, I am not going to post what that sequence is.

I do not know of the same being true with wireless phones containing SIM cards (GSM phones).

3. disconut

disconut New Member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Vivid LTE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410