Bought an HTC Touch Pro, problems activating.

I just bought a used Sprint HTC Touch Pro from an Ebay powerseller. I have been having trouble activating this phone. ...

Fresh Member
    Phone(s)
    HTC TP Winmo 6.5
    Provider(s)
    Sprint Sero
    Devices
    Samsung P2

Default Bought an HTC Touch Pro, problems activating.

I just bought a used Sprinticon HTC Touch Pro from an Ebay powerseller. I have been having trouble activating this phone. Apparently it is still attached to someone's line however it is not reported lost or stolen.

The guy in the Sprinticon store told me the phone is still attached to an active line and he gave me the phone number which happens to be the number the Touch Pro is linked to, and when I try to dial his voicemail or call that number, I just get an operator saying the line is disconnected, yet sprint still says this is an active line.

The guy in the Sprint store tells me this is the only contact information on the account, which obviously does me no good because it is the disconnected number of the Touch Pro.

Does anyone have any advice? There has to be someone, somewhere in Sprint to review these cases and has the authority to change the ESN number, does anyone know who I can get in contact with?

Phone(s)
    LG Optimus G
    Provider(s)
    Sprint
    Images

Default Re: Bought an HTC Touch Pro, problems activating.

I would try calling Sprinticon customer service and explaining the problem to them. If they can't activate it for you ask for a trouble ticket to be filed and have it escalated until someone can fix it.

Phone(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    iPhone 3G 16GB (white)
    Nokia N95-8GB
    HTC Mogul/Samsng Rant
    Provider(s)
    Sprint, T-Mobile (Previous: Cingular/AT&T)
    Devices
    Dell Axim x50v, Garmin Nuvi 760, iPod's, PSP

Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    I would try calling Sprinticon customer service and explaining the problem to them. If they can't activate it for you ask for a trouble ticket to be filed and have it escalated until someone can fix it.
    I suggest you shold try and contact that eBay seller prior to contacting Sprinticon, as for the process isn't a simple one. Click here to request the seller's contact information if you do not have his/her numbers. Also, would you know if the seller selling his/her own phone or just listed a bunch of phones for sale. If it was their personal phone, the matter would be settled quite easily.

Phone(s)
    LG Optimus G
    Provider(s)
    Sprint
    Images

I was going under the assumption that it might be some type of error on Sprinticon's side of things since the number appears to be disconnected. But if not then yes try contacting the ebay seller to see if they can help.

Phone(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    iPhone 3G 16GB (white)
    Nokia N95-8GB
    HTC Mogul/Samsng Rant
    Provider(s)
    Devices

Yes I understand, but the phone may be activated on a different account other than the account listed on the phone's MDN/MSID.

For instance, I had my LG Rumor activated on my friend's account, 777-777-7777, but I never did the entire activation process (it is still registered to the 7's number). The phone MDN is still under my 333-333-333 number and then I cancelled my account and sold my Rumor to someone else. The person who I sold my Rumor to might be modenaf1. Modenaf1 then received my Rumor and found out he can't activate it because it is still active under another account. When he/Sprinticon check out the phone and see that the Rumor is currently under the 333-333-3333, which is actually cancelled by me. But truthfully, the phone was activated under the 777-777-7777 number on the system, but not on the phone (the phone shows the 333's number).

I think this might be the scenario that modenaf1 is running through at the moment. I am not sure if anyone in Sprinticon can trace back to the activated number that was on the system, but certainly not the Sprint store managers/employees. So, let just hope that the eBay seller is the actual owner of the TP1 as for he know what was going on with the phone and its history.

Fresh Member
    Threadstarter

Phone(s)
    HTC TP Winmo 6.5
    Provider(s)
    Sprint Sero
    Devices
    Samsung P2

Bummer, this looks like it is going to turn into a HUGE mess. Unfortunately the Ebay seller sells TONS of phones, I bet they got this phone from somewhere else.

I'm sending the Ebay seller an email right now and will call them first thing tomorrow morning as well. Hopefully they have some info on the original owner, if not I will try Sprinticon Customer Support again and see if they can escalate it to some sort of a manager.

If that fails, I guess I will just try and have this Ebay seller take the phone back and give me a refund. I suppose I should have asked them for the ESN first before bidding, but the ad said this was a "fully functional" phone. Normally one would think the ability to make a phone call is definitely a requirement for having a "fully functional" phone.

Other than that, does anyone have any other ideas on anything else I can try?

Phone(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    iPhone 3G 16GB (white)
    Nokia N95-8GB
    HTC Mogul/Samsng Rant
    Provider(s)
    Devices

Yes, I used to sold a phone locally and I gave my buyers an option to meet up at a Sprinticon store or I can activate it for them on the spot. I just really hates to sell a nonfunctional phone, but I know I'm legit anyway when selling to other people. I got nothing to hide

Seeing that the eBay seller sells a lot of phone through his/her listing, it may be difficult for the seller to track down every phones as to where they got it and such. But who knows. They might be that much organized and can further assist you. But try contact them and make sure you're still covered under their return policy.

Other than contacting the original seller and the regular Sprinticon CSR number, you can also try the Sprint Executive Customer Service number: 703-433-4401. I haven't tried this number for ages, but you can test your luck.
    Last edited by TnA2xXtReM; 08-10-2009 at 9:54 PM. Reason: Typos

Fresh Member
    Threadstarter

Phone(s)
    HTC TP Winmo 6.5
    Provider(s)
    Sprint Sero
    Devices
    Samsung P2

Oh nice! I will definitely have to give that a try as well! Thanks!

Fresh Member
    Threadstarter

Phone(s)
    HTC TP Winmo 6.5
    Provider(s)
    Sprint Sero
    Devices
    Samsung P2

Well, just as an update, I gave that a try and they still couldn't do anything. They said any attempt to contact that person was a violation of privacy. I also asked if they could just put me on hold and they just contact the person telling them someone else has their phone and work it similarly to how they do transfer of liabilities over the phone, but that still was a "violation of privacy." I then asked if I could be escalated to a higher level support or speak to a manager and if Sprinticon could launch an investigation and decide about this "active but not active" line that this phone is attached to. She then told me I was already at the highest level and nothing further can be done.

So, I heard back from the Ebay seller, unfortunately they have nothing on the original owner, so I will be returning this beautiful Touch Pro for a refund.

Phone(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    iPhone 3G 16GB (white)
    Nokia N95-8GB
    HTC Mogul/Samsng Rant
    Provider(s)
    Devices

Quote Originally Posted by modenaf1 View Post
    Well, just as an update, I gave that a try and they still couldn't do anything. They said any attempt to contact that person was a violation of privacy. I also asked if they could just put me on hold and they just contact the person telling them someone else has their phone and work it similarly to how they do transfer of liabilities over the phone, but that still was a "violation of privacy." I then asked if I could be escalated to a higher level support or speak to a manager and if Sprinticon could launch an investigation and decide about this "active but not active" line that this phone is attached to. She then told me I was already at the highest level and nothing further can be done.

So, I heard back from the Ebay seller, unfortunately they have nothing on the original owner, so I will be returning this beautiful Touch Pro for a refund.
    "She then told me I was already at the highest level and nothing further can be done" - did you called the executive CRS number or the regular CSR number? But I can understand how this is a 'violation of privacy' as for you didn't have permission from that mysterious owner that the phone was activated on.

Well, it is good to hear that the eBay seller had offered you a refund as for you definately do not want to entangle into this situation any much longer. The longer you get involved, the lesser percentage you will get your money back from the seller. Say, for some reason, the original owner could just report the phone as lost/stolen at anytime. The next time you call up Sprinticon, the ESN will come as bad and they might force you to return the phone immediately or face charges. You just don't want that so happen.. so just return the phone ASAP as for you will just never know what is going to happen next with that phone.

I know I have been promoting craigslist.org for a few time, but have you tried them out? I think that would be the fastest and easiest way to get a phone activated if you found the right phone at the right price. If you decide to go this route, make sure you request the seller on craigslist to meet you at a Sprint store so that Sprint employee can activate your phone on the spot. By doing that, you will know right away if you are able to activate the phone and not spend the hassle of chasing the original seller back (hard to do unlike eBay). Also, since you got the SERO, make sure you don't buy any Palm PRE, Blackberries or Samsung Instinct phones. Those phones requires 'specialized plan'.

Fresh Member
    Threadstarter

Phone(s)
    HTC TP Winmo 6.5
    Provider(s)
    Sprint Sero
    Devices
    Samsung P2

Yup, it was the executive CSR number. The lady said she was as high as it got.

Tomorrow I am going to return the Touch Pro I have with the bad ESN. Unfortunately I just got back from looking at another Touch Pro someone was trying to sell off craigslist. I checked the ESN number before I bought it from him and it had a bad ESN too.

I can't believe how many of these phones are still active on other accounts. I wouldn't be surprised if there is something in the Sprinticon system to keep phones active unless someone specifically says to deactivate and open up the ESN.

I just don't see how there could be that many phones out there that people just "forget" to deactivate.

It all makes sense anyway, Sprinticon probably wants people to buy as many new phones from them in store as possible, so the more that are out there they can render completely useless, the better.

Phone(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    iPhone 3G 16GB (white)
    Nokia N95-8GB
    HTC Mogul/Samsng Rant
    Provider(s)
    Devices

Yeah, the exec. CSR is the highest you can go if you're the consumer. Also, it was a good thing that you checked out the ESN prior to buying it, as for it would be a PIA trying to retrieve your money back when it comes to a yard sale/Craigslist.

In order to free the phone (like your TP from eBay) from the account, the original account owner must activate another phone onto his/her account. By activating another phone, the original one is off the hook and can be activated on any acount as long as the ESN is clear. It is just too bad you nor Sprinticon can contact the original owner 'notifying' them that they are paying their bills for nothing! Hmm...

Thread Information