Central VA - T-mobile vs. Sprint

I live in Charlottesville, VA , my contract with US Cellular is fulfilled and I'm considering two different companies with Smartphone ...

Posting up a storm!
    Phone(s)
    Motorola v60
    Provider(s)
    US Cellular

Question Central VA - T-mobile vs. Sprint

I live in Charlottesville, VA, my contract with US Cellular is fulfilled and I'm considering two different companies with Smartphone options.
    T-Mobileicon (HP Ipaq 6315)
    Sprint (Samsung SP-i600)

I realize these are very different phones, but my primary concern is coverage in Central VA. I travel by plane to other major metro markets, so I'm hopeful that coverage there is not an issue. This forum generally seems to have a bias against Sprint. Is that because of their PCS technology or due to their level of coverage?

(Verizonicon & Cingular/AT&Ticon are not options in this market.
    Providers here include - SunCom, AllTel, US Cellular, Sprint, T-Mobileicon, Nextel)

Thanks for any feedback & suggestions!

Fresh Member

Default Re: Central VA - T-mobile vs. Sprint

I personally would not suggest either of them in C'ville. Expecially T-Mobileicon..
    Without a doubt they have the worst coverage around. Sprinticon In C'ville uses the Ntelos network which is has it's problems around here too. I know Alltel, US Cellular and Nextel have a good network in this area. As for traveling Alltel and US Cellular have agreements with Verizonicon to roam on them in most area's. Someone else would have to tell you about Nextel. I have a US Cellular and an Alltel phone in C'ville and both do really well. Why not stay with US Cellular??? Or is it the Smartphone you want???

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile

I have to agree with Hokie. I wouldn't recommend T-Mobileicon or Sprinticon PCS for that area either. SunCom is just a awful company so stay away from them. Stick with US Cellular or consider ALLTEL. I think they are your two best choices for that area.

Sumcom in your area is going to be Cingular soon so you might wamt to look at them.

Posting up a storm!
    Threadstarter

Phone(s)
    Motorola v60
    Provider(s)
    US Cellular

I've had great coverage with US Cellular, but I'd really like to have a smart phone. That is why I'm considering either Sprinticon or T-Mobileicon.

If U.S. Cellular uses the Verizonicon network, could I get the the Samsung i600 to work on US Cellular? That would be an ideal solution!

Fresh Member
    Phone(s)
    Motorola v810

I have Sprinticon service and live in the Charlottesville area. I have few to no problems with it. In fact, I can often make calls, while friends can't. I've used US Cell and was disappointed with them.

BCG
    BCG has left the building.
    Posting up a storm!

I too live in Charlottesville. Over the past 5 years I've tried nTelos, Sprinticon, Nextel, and now have Alltel. If you travel (at all) off the I-64/Hwy.29 corridors, and coverage is your main concern, Alltel is the by far the best option, IMO. People I know who have tried T-Mobileicon have not been pleased with it - basically coverage exists for the immediate area along I-64 and 29, and that's it. When I had Sprint, I also found it fades away once off the main E-W or N-S highways (works fine in Charlottesville itself, but then so does T-Mobileicon).

Alltel's coverage is superb in this neck of the woods, but you will find their phone selection limited, unfortunately. Myself, I have the LG LX5550, and have been very pleased with it - it meets my needs, but doesn't sound like it would satisfy yours. They only have one smart phone - the Kyocera 7135, which seems to have mixed reviews at www.phonescoop.com.

That's my $0.02

Phone(s)
    MyTouch 4G
    BlackBerry 9780
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Images

T-Mobileicon roams off Suncom in southern VA where they don't have native coverage.
    Join the T-Mobile Group Forum (or any other!)

...a/k/a cheerioboy26 elsewhere on the net....

Shoulda joined long ago!

Dont forget Suncom will become Cingular soon in your area...so if suncom has good service in your area, you might want to wait.

I made my first post!

Unhappy Re: Central VA - T-mobile vs. Sprint

I have had an HP iPaq 6315 with T-Mobile since Sept 2004 and I am SO happy my contract is over this month. I recommend neither the service (spotty all over--like no signal at US 29 & Hydraulic in the middle of Cville!)--nor the device (good PDA, lousy telephone).

I am going to try Verizonicon (rides on Alltel here) with the new Samsung i730--I've had good luck with earlier Samsung smartphones.

Quote Originally Posted by kdean63
    I live in Charlottesville, VA, my contract with US Cellular is fulfilled and I'm considering two different companies with Smartphone options.
    T-mobile (HP Ipaq 6315)
    Sprint (Samsung SP-i600)

I realize these are very different phones, but my primary concern is coverage in Central VA. I travel by plane to other major metro markets, so I'm hopeful that coverage there is not an issue. This forum generally seems to have a bias against Sprint. Is that because of their PCS technology or due to their level of coverage?

(Verizonicon & Cingular/AT&Ticon are not options in this market.
    Providers here include - SunCom, AllTel, US Cellular, Sprint, T-mobile, Nextel)

Thanks for any feedback & suggestions!

I have arrived!
    Phone(s)
    Samsung E715
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    Pretty much everything you can imagine

If it had to be a choice between the two, I'd personally go with Sprinticon, although neither was exactly stellar in the area.

A friend of mine went to UVA, lived at a house right off of Stadium Dr. Sprinticon varied greatly depending on the phone used. I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be that Samsung phones would generally get you nothing with Sprint, but when I upgraded to a Sanyo it was near perfect.

Once I switched to T-Mobileicon (trying to save a few bucks), I had to use my friend's Sprint phone anytime I needed to make a call (and her's was no prize either, once again a Samsung Sprint phone).

I can't really speak about the rest of C-ville, and bear in mind the last time I was there would be almost 2 years ago now. But that's what my experience was.

Phone(s)
    LG Optimus G
    Provider(s)
    Sprint
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdean63
    This forum generally seems to have a bias against Sprinticon. Is that because of their PCS technology or due to their level of coverage?
    If you think the forum has a bias now you shold have been here 4 years ago! It was much worse then. But Sprinticon has changed a lot since then and have much better coverage as well as free roaming included with plans now.

Thread Information