CINGULAR/T-MOBILE water tower Antennas Oppossed by Fairlawn Residents

antennas on Water Tower Opposed in Fair Lawn 2nd cell provider seeking antenna Wednesday, May 4, 2005 By ERIC HSU STAFF ...

Default CINGULAR/T-MOBILE water tower Antennas Oppossed by Fairlawn Residents

antennas on Water Tower Opposed in Fair Lawn

2nd cell provider seeking antenna
    Wednesday, May 4, 2005

By ERIC HSU
    STAFF WRITER

FAIR LAWN - A second cellular service provider has joined a proposal to attach antennas to the water tower on Morlot Avenue, a plan that's drawing the ire of residents.

Cingular Wireless first expressed interest in March, and T-Mobileicon joined in a presentation at a council work session in April.

Representatives of the companies said the antennas are necessary to patch cellular service holes centered on Route 208. In return, the borough could receive $20,000 to $30,000 from both companies for leasing the space.

The antennas would be attached to the legs of the water tower and could be made to be unobtrusive, the representatives said. The antennas are in the form of rectangular panels that could be painted to match the color of the water tower.

But more than 200 residents in the area have signed petitions opposing the plan.

Oren Hiller, 46, who has lived in the shadow of the tower for 17 years, said he worries about potential health risks from the sustained radio-frequency emissions of the antennas.

He said he has heard assurances from engineers and the government that such emissions are below dangerous levels, but he said he doesn't like the idea of antennas being that close to his home and the town's water supply.

"Maybe they're going to find out in 10 years it's a big problem, but why do we have to be the guinea pigs?" Hiller asked.

Controlling placement of cell antennas has proven difficult for the borough. In 1997 Fair Lawn tried to block antennas, but cellular companies challenged the decision in court and won, citing FCC mandates that require service providers to erect enough antennas to supply adequate service.

At the April 5 meeting the representatives also said technical restrictions and geography limit their options for where to place antennas, and that the water tower is the best solution.

"We've been looking here for two years to try to find a site," said Ron Moore, a construction manager with T-Mobileicon.

But with the water tower on one side and noise from Route 208 on the other, area residents said the antennas will be just one more visual and psychological aggravation.

"The water tower is in front of my face every day," said Marion Ashton, 65. Ashton said she worries the cell antennas will hurt her property values as well as her health.

Adding to residents' frustration is the fact the council had considered zoning the water tower for cellular antennas in 1997 but dropped the plan after opposition from residents. Three other areas in the borough are zoned for antennas.

"We've been down this road before, and they specifically took [the tower] out," said resident Russell Mensch, 47. "So why is this even open to discussion now?" Borough Attorney Richard Lustgarten said there are also questions about whether there is enough space in the lot underneath the tower for emergency and maintenance access.

But Mayor David Ganz said the borough must weigh the drawbacks of the antennas against the obligations of the borough to accommodate the cellphone companies.

"Ten years ago there were 2 million people who used cellphones and there are 40 million people who use them now," Ganz said.

To move ahead, the companies must apply to the borough for a rezoning or variance. No official application from the companies has been received, Lustgarten said.

E-mail: [email protected]
    - 3 Billion GSM Users by 2009.
    - 700 GSM Carriers in 220 Countries
    - 82% of the Global Market
    45,000 Cell Sites and Adding.

Phone(s)
    EnV
    V750
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

Default Re: CINGULAR/T-MOBILE water tower Antennas Oppossed by Fairlawn Residents

This is more ridiculous then complaining about a tower being put up, It's already there, they aren't going to change the looks of the tower.
    These people need to get a life & stop complaining about the so called health issues, which are mute, and people think the water tower is such a sore sight to look at, maybe they should remove the tower & the water pressure to make these people happy.

But with the water tower on one side and noise from Route 208 on the other, area residents said the antennas will be just one more visual and psychological aggravation.
    Guess moving isn't a choice if the Higway & water tower as such aggravation.

At least the Mayor seems to be thinking in the right direction & I am sure they will get it passed this time. These NIMBY people are really becoming a pain it the

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

Default Re: CINGULAR/T-MOBILE water tower Antennas Oppossed by Fairlawn Residents

It's not a health issue anymore. They are simply saying they just don't like the idea of the panels being there! So this is getting more ridiculous every day. They just want to find any stupid excuse they can.

I am confident this will pass. This time these NIMBYs don't have any real arguments against the tower.

On a funny note, my boss lives around there.
    "Jobs was brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it."
    -Barack Obama

Phone(s)
    LG Optimus G
    Provider(s)
    Sprint
    Images

The worst NIMBY problems seem to be either in the Northeastern states and here in Calif. I don't hear of many in other sections of the US>

Signal Go Down De Hole... ZaphodB's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    LG VX5600
    iPhone 3GS
    LG Chocolate GSM
    Provider(s)
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)

In other sections of the US you're far less likely to have homes right up against the tower. You named the two sections of the country where it's most densely populated.

That said, these people are just ing dumb. They don't even know what they're objecting to, they're just objecting so they can object.

Phone(s)
    LG Optimus Zone
    LG Optimus L9
    Provider(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Devices
    Motorola H720 Bluetooth
    Images

The FCC mandate referenced in the starting message should cover Cingular and T-Mobileicon, if there is opposition by the residents.

If the antennas are required to fill in gaps, which appears to be the case, all they have to do is quote the mandate.
    verizon customer since 2013.
    T-Mobile customer since 2005.

Phone(s)
    MyTouch 4G
    BlackBerry 9780
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Images

It's funny how people consider themselves "guniea pigs" for technology that has been in use in their area for over 20 years.

Of course, since I travel to FL frequently, I'm all for it. T-Mobileicon got on a tower on Banta Pl just N of Rt 4 a while back and improved coverage in the town a lot.

Here's a satellite pic of the area. 208 runs through the middle and the water tower is on the north side.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=07410&...0664&t=k&hl=en

Here is T-Mobileicon's coverage in the area. The tower on Banta Pl I refer to above is right near the "4" sign on the map. The tower in question will be on Morlot, just east of 208. Looks like it is needed.

Join the T-Mobile Group Forum (or any other!)

...a/k/a cheerioboy26 elsewhere on the net....

One more post and I'm...
    Phone(s)
    Motorola V3
    Nokia 6820
    always something new
    Provider(s)
    Cingular Wireless GSM

Yeah this is definately the biggest load of crap i have ever seen. All of these people probably complain about their cell service too.

Threadstarter

Fair Lawn board says no to antennas
    Friday, May 13, 2005

FAIR LAWN - The Planning Board has recommended against any zoning change that would allow cellular antennas to be attached to the municipal water tower.

In April, representatives from Cingular Wireless and T-Mobileicon approached the Borough Council with tentative proposals to add the antennas to fill coverage gaps centered around Route 208.

Though no formal applications were received, the council asked the Planning Board for its recommendation about zoning changes that would have allowed the antennas on the tower, which is in a residential area.

The borough could have received between $20,000 and $30,000 from each company for leasing the space.

But Monday, the board voted unanimously against any such change, saying suitable locations zoned for antennas exist.

Chairman Barry Winston said the board was also concerned about losing emergency and maintenance accessibility beneath the tower, and took into account the complaints of residents worried about the visual impact and possible health risks of the antennas.

- Eric Hsu
    FAIR LAWN

Phone(s)
    MyTouch 4G
    BlackBerry 9780
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Images

Looking at my previous image above and comparing with the one below, TM got a tower on/near that water tower anyway!

Phone(s)
    EnV
    V750
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Looking at my previous image above and comparing with the one below, TM got a tower on/near that water tower anyway!

It's good to see they got approval for somewhere up there or on the tower itself, thanks for the update Matt.

Phone(s)
    MyTouch 4G
    BlackBerry 9780
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fire14
    It's good to see they got approval for somewhere up there or on the tower itself, thanks for the update Matt.
    I'll be in that area next week, and will try to see where they put it.

Phone(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Provider(s)
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Images

Wow. What an improvement in coverage! Funny how there were no press releases and NIMBY crying about the tower T-Mobileicon actually built.

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

It looks like they put it on an existing tower that's already overloaded with panels. I'll try to get pictures. The Fairlawn water tank is really smacked in between resident homes, so it is not surprising they are protesting. However, I haven't found any coverage holes along Rt. 208.
    "Jobs was brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it."
    -Barack Obama

Phone(s)
    MyTouch 4G
    BlackBerry 9780
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Images

I didn't get a chance to go by there, so any pics you can get would be nice.

Images

This is amazing even to me.

I mentioned in another thread that I think "health concerns" should be out in the open and addressed in the meetings of the local tribunals. These frequency bands have been in use since before most of us were born.

I think some of the cellular bands were UHF TV before.

Some locals are under the impression that radio transmissions are something new and threaten the "water supply" - "but he said he doesn't like the idea of antennas being that close to his home and the town's water supply."

This shows confusion between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation and a complete lack of understanding that similar, and sometimes much higher power, TV and radio signals have been flowing through their communities for a long time.

The level of ignorance is dumfounding, and the Telecom Act just contributes to it by prohibiting "health concerns" as an issue for open debate.

If collusion laws didn't prohibit it, it would be good to see all the carriers get together and boycott municipalities like this. See how they like living in the 1970's - how strong were those CB signals - Burt Reynolds is still kickin.

Images

To be fair, even the most strict municipalities I have delt with have enough sense to not only permit, but encourage collocations on existing water tanks. It looks like ugly rumours of supposed health effects have gotten loose in this community.

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

Matt, we finally we got some sun in this area. I don't like to take pictures when it is cloudy. So here they are:

Notice in picture P1070041 how you can see both the tower and the watertank in question. The lowest of the three carriers is T-Mobileicon. The top one must be Sprinticon and the one in the middle should be Nextelicon. Not 100% sure on that one.

http://www.vaciloneros.com/images/to...n/P1070040.JPG
    http://www.vaciloneros.com/images/to...n/P1070041.JPG
    http://www.vaciloneros.com/images/to...n/P1070042.JPG
    http://www.vaciloneros.com/images/to...n/P1070044.JPG
    http://www.vaciloneros.com/images/to...n/P1070046.JPG
    -Barack Obama

Wireless Guru
    Phone(s)
    iphone 3gs 32black
    nokia 6230
    moto,v600
    moto,v551
    Provider(s)
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Devices
    m3000,hs810, Sirius,sportster,w/boombox,
    Images

man, i hate those nimbies, dang gum it.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/90674468.png

Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night, because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
    ~George Orwell

Phone(s)
    MyTouch 4G
    BlackBerry 9780
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Images

Bobolito, thanks for the pics! Now I know exactly where that water tower is....I've been by it many times on Morlot Ave.

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

I'm still wondering why Cingular wanted a site at that location. I was getting -57dBm when I took that picture. Cingular is in another tower very close to the one in the picture.
    -Barack Obama

I made my first post!

Quote Originally Posted by bobolito
    I'm still wondering why Cingular wanted a site at that location. I was getting -57dBm when I took that picture. Cingular is in another tower very close to the one in the picture.

Maybe like Tmobileicon...they put it somewhere else.....

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

Not really...Cingular has had panels in the other tower ever since the days of AT&Ticon Wireless TDMA.

Phone(s)
    MyTouch 4G
    BlackBerry 9780
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Images

TM just updated their maps - lots of new sites in this area.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Phone(s)
    iPhone 4
    (Personal & Work)
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

Matt, why do the new T-Mobileicon maps suck? A few weeks ago they showed a light green (previously a light grey) around my house, which is about right. Little coverage inside, ok outside. Now the maps say no coverage anywhere near my house. It seems every 2-3 months they make the maps more liberal (and accurate here) and then conservative (and way too conservative). They did add a lot of towers in that area though

Bobolito, I'd say Sprinticon, Nextel, and T-Mobileicon like you said. Same basic setups as here.

Phone(s)
    MyTouch 4G
    BlackBerry 9780
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Images

I don't know, the maps in my area look the same, but I do see differnces in the thumnail I posted tonight and the update I posted a week or so ago....

Threadstarter

i've notice that on these maps they placed the new Tower Locations
    in the WRONG Location.

Then later after a month it was placed on the right Location
    and some were removed.
    So Matt that map where you're showing Lots of New Towers
    some are most likely in
    the Wrong Location.
    Last edited by jones; 01-19-2006 at 6:57 AM.

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

TM just updated their maps - lots of new sites in this area.
    T-Mobileicon has finally added all the sites Paterson needed.....except around my house where they still suck.

Images

Thumbs up Re: CINGULAR/T-MOBILE water tower Antennas Oppossed by Fairlawn Residents

Quote Originally Posted by bobolito
    T-Mobileicon has finally added all the sites Paterson needed.....except around my house where they still suck.
    Can you post a photo of the falls Bobo? It's something I left behind with my old work computer in NJ.

- William Carlos Williams

Phone(s)
    Voyager VX-10000
    Samsung Juke U-470
    Nokia 6236i
    2128i
    Provider(s)
    VZW
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chuikov
    Can you post a photo of the falls Bobo? It's something I left behind with my old work computer in NJ.

- William Carlos Williams

Try here:
    Paterson Falls Photos
    " I'm All-In ! "

Thread Information