T-Mobile or ATT for GSM service in Philadelphia?

Currently, I'm considering GSM phone service through either ATT or T-Mobile . Based in the Philadelphia area, which carrier offers the ...

I made my first post!

Default T-Mobile or ATT for GSM service in Philadelphia?

Currently, I'm considering GSM phone service through either ATTicon or T-Mobileicon. Based in the Philadelphia area, which carrier offers the best coverage and service? My primary use will be wireless Internet access through a PDA and a laptop, with occasional voice service, so decent GPRS service is essential. Also, I expect to use the wireless Internet service in NYC at times, possibly other urban markets as well, so I'll be purchasing a national plan.

Well...if you are headed off to urban markets, AT&Ticon GSM should be no problem since they cover just about every major city + some other suburban areas outside of them. AT&Ticon and Verizonicon are known for Philadelphia coverage, and since Verizonicon has no AT&T GSM, you are left with AT&T. I think there GSM voice quality is phenomonal, and I have yet to use their data (I've only used mMode...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]). T-Mobile tends to easily lose a signal, or at least, that's the case out here on Long Island. Maybe a true Philadelphia could give you a more accurate answer?

Just my 2 cents (wow, can you imagine with the amount of people that use that expression, how much money that was add up to?)

Hope that helps. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

i cant stop the ringing.. njsvrzncdma's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    LG vx8500
    LG vx8100
    Provider(s)
    VERIZON
    Devices
    MP3, GPS, Wireless LAN, TV remote (lol)

its a widely know fact AT&Ticon gsm is not up to par. Why rule out Cingular they use T-Mobileicon's network. Did something from them turn you off ?
    "Be fruitful, curious, careful, intelligent, spontanious and wise but never forget to have fun, never forget to remember the good times, and always be true to yourself."

Originally posted by: njscngulrgsm
    its a widely know fact AT&Ticon gsm is not up to par. Why rule out Cingular they use T-Mobileicon's network. Did something from them turn you off ?
    You can't activate Cingular GSM in Philadelphia yet, and when you do it will be using Cingular's own towers. I would be surprised if they keep T-Mobileicon on as a roaming partner in Philly. Cingular TDMA is solid here but big problems will arise if they move to 1900MHz for GSM and don't add new towers. Their current towers were first constructed in the late-80s era of 3-5 watt phones! They have improved since then, but they can't do 1900 here.

Fresh Member

go with T-mobile in philadelphia , over AT&Ticon GSM... a couple of friends have t-mobile and so does my sister and one of my frends has AT&Ticon here in philadelphia that GSM and she has a lot of problems, Tmobileicon is running GSm in more spots of philadelphia than at&t, and t-mobile saves more money anyways...

Originally posted by: Rhow411
    go with T-mobile in philadelphia , over AT&Ticon GSM... a couple of friends have t-mobile and so does my sister and one of my frends has AT&Ticon here in philadelphia that GSM and she has a lot of problems, Tmobileicon is running GSm in more spots of philadelphia than at&t, and t-mobile saves more money anyways...
    Yeah, T-Mo's been here since the early 90s as Omnipoint. They're in the process of getting approval for 2 spots in Bucks County (Southampton and Lower Makefield). If you're going to go GSM, go with T-Mo because AT&T has always had to borrow Cingular's towers in South NJ and DE since they don't have their own coverage (or licenses to it) there.

Get me out of Newbieville!

My advice is neither. First ATTicon is too exspensive overall and the new service is very spotty (Hence the great deal for two years only) T-Mobileicon is bar none the worse company ever. If any problems arise, do not look for them too help you. Also, service is spotty in Chester, Berks and Montgomery Counties. I had so many dropped calls that I gave them $200 to do away. In my opinion, the best thing going in the Philly area is Sprint. If you asked me three years ago what I thought of Sprint, I would had said that the phone only works if you are on a major highway. Not true any more. Service is fantastic almost everywhere. I am amazed. Try going with a Sayno phone which in Sprints world has the best reception. The smartest thing to do is try out the services. I believe all the above mentioned will let you try out the service for two weeks without any downfalls. Good Luck!

cll
    cll has left the building.
    Phone(s)
    Treo650
    Nokia 6230
    Samsung t809
    Provider(s)
    Cingular Blue, TMobile
    Devices
    ipod, toshiba satellite, palm

I have used ATTicon GSM and TMO in many different parts of Philly and have found both services to be fine. I dont think you would go wrong with either one. The only thing that might sway me to ATTicon is the unlimited nights are included in their plans. TMOicon now charges for free nights. TMo CS is a bit flaky but always helpful and responsive. ATT GSM CS has gotten much more efficient this past week.

Phone(s)
    LG EV 3
    LG 5200
    LG vx 10
    net 10
    Provider(s)
    VZw

Todd, as to Sprinticon, some of my friends bailed due to holes in central Montco, Fort Washington, Montgomeryville, Blue bell etc.

Does anyone know who does work in the Chestrebrook community in Chester County near Devon? Verizonicon is spotty ( bad) there, Cingular is marginal.
    Phones before cellular existed ( IMTS) car phones; 1977, Motorola Pulsar 1, (with a dial) 1982 Motorola Pulsar 2.

Phone(s)
    Motorola i870
    Blackberry 7520
    Provider(s)
    Nextel
    Devices
    GPS 12, Kenwood TM-V7&D700,TH-D7,TinyTrak3

Originally posted by: cll
    I have used ATTicon GSM and TMO in many different parts of Philly and have found both services to be fine. I dont think you would go wrong with either one. The only thing that might sway me to ATTicon is the unlimited nights are included in their plans. TMOicon now charges for free nights. TMo CS is a bit flaky but always helpful and responsive. ATT GSM CS has gotten much more efficient this past week.
    Agreed. Both T-mo and ATT GSM (and TDMA) are dead solid in the philly area. You can't go wrong with either, but I think T-mo is going to have better plans for data.
    Rich in Southeast PA
    "Give me dBm, or give me death!"

Phone(s)
    LG EV 3
    LG 5200
    LG vx 10
    net 10
    Provider(s)
    VZw

AT&Ticon ( TDMA ) is not solid in Eastern Montco.
    Phones before cellular existed ( IMTS) car phones; 1977, Motorola Pulsar 1, (with a dial) 1982 Motorola Pulsar 2.

Get me out of Newbieville!

Haven't had any problems. I have a 4500 minute plan and yap almost all those minutes all around the Delaware Valley. The only time I lose a signal is off Route 222 near Kutztown and on 176 heading towards Reading. Otherwise 4 bars is the norm. I also use a wireless card for my notebook. I drove all the way to Long Island and did not lose my connection. I even get 4 bars in HoneyBrook area. I update any other down spots but, like I said I think Sprinticon is the way to go.

Shoulda joined long ago!

I use ATTicon...they seem to be expanding the fastest and have GSM voice plans to prove it...I took advantage of their unlimited for 99 plan but I think it's over with now. I save at least 300 a month...they must lose money on me :-)!!! As far as T-Mobile, I think they are o.k. I have a lot of friends that switched to ATTicon though. My input would to be try ATT first you can always swap out within 30 days...just buy the phone from an ATT store. Not an indirect dealer!

Originally posted by: buzzboy01
    I use ATTicon...they seem to be expanding the fastest and have GSM voice plans to prove it...I took advantage of their unlimited for 99 plan but I think it's over with now. I save at least 300 a month...they must lose money on me :-)!!! As far as T-Mobile, I think they are o.k. I have a lot of friends that switched to ATTicon though. My input would to be try ATT first you can always swap out within 30 days...just buy the phone from an ATT store. Not an indirect dealer!
    Expanding the fastest, huh; Well T-Monile has already expanded. They are already in all of the places that AT&T GSM wants to be, so the logical thing to do, is get T-Mobileicon.

Phone(s)
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Apple iPhone4
    Provider(s)
    Sprint- AT&t

Umm..Ok, whatever you say Aiwapro.
    Cleophus, please, listen to someone who has used their service in your immediate area, ask some of the people you know or who live bye you. I live in Cherry Hill and have tried everything out there, just recently tried AT&Ticon GSM and I had excellent coverage in all of South Jersey and Philly, unfortunately it just wasn't what I wanted. I also gave T-Mobileicon a shot, coverage is almost nonexistent in south Jersey, hope you don't plan to go to the shore!!!!

Anyway, the best thing would be to take advantage of their "trial" periods, AT&Ticon gives you 30 days, T-Mobileicon..like 14 days or something. Go to some of the dealers in you area and see if you can't get a demo or loaner phone, so you don't have to go though the whole "signing up" process. In my opinion At&t would be the way to go, T-mobiles had ample time to get their act together in south Jersey and PA.
    "Make something fool-proof and someone will make a better fool."

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

Well, if T-Mo had already expanded where is it? We still can't get a signal where we need it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] They obviously need to expand more. We live here and know that AT&Ticon GSM is more solid than T-Mobile. AT&Ticon has their own licenses in South Jersey and GSM coverage has been built out. They are not borrowing from Cingular on this one. Cingular also has 1900Mhz GSM coverage in Philly. Their GSM will be on both 850 and 1900.
    "Jobs was brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it."
    -Barack Obama

Now there is no need to act like AT&Ticon GSM is more solid and/or bigger than T-Mobileicon's because we all know it's not. T-Mobileicon is the biggest GSM provider, case closed.

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

Maybe AT&Ticon is not bigger, but it is more solid at least in NJ/PA/NYC. At least we all know what works in this area and what doesn't. Too bad you can't say the same. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
    "Jobs was brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it."
    -Barack Obama

Works great in all the areas I have traveled to, including the areas you listed, and my own area.

Thread Information