PRL code Sprint ( What does it do?)

What is exactly the PRL code. What does the PRL code do. I have gotten a few PRL upgrades in the ...

What is exactly the PRL code. What does the PRL code do. I have gotten a few PRL upgrades in the past, I have not seen any difference in service, exspecially when it comes to dropped calls.

Can somebody also tell us what PRL stands for?

Thanks!

Preferred Roaming List...it is a list of SIDS (System IDs) that the carrier has roaming agreements with. When your carrier updates their roaming agreements they in turn need to update your PRL. PRL is a CDMA term so you probably have Verizonicon or Sprint service. I know Verizonicon does PRL updates over the air but I'm not sure about Sprinticon. You probably won't notice reception differences with an updated PRL, only coverage improvements. Sometimes carriers expand service areas and that too can be impacted by an updated PRL.

Tom

Phone(s)
    LG Optimus G
    Provider(s)
    Sprint
    Images

Yes Sprinticon also does them over the air. The latest is 10014 which can't yet be done OTA as of 12/30/01.

Phone(s)
    LG Optimus G
    Provider(s)
    Sprint
    Images

The latest PRL list for Sprinticon, (10014) gives you the ability to digital roam with a tri-mode phone in South America and Hong Kong. Other than that it's not necessary for the US.

Could you tell me what SIDS are present in the SPCS prl? Is this known?

jason

Phone(s)
    LG Optimus G
    Provider(s)
    Sprint
    Images

As far as I know it's kept private.

And it probably contains 400 different sids, a little too many to list here.

But Larry is right, it's confidential and the carriers guard them very closely.

Tom

If PRL's are so secret, why are they published all over everywhere. I'd aim you at Bill Radio's site (www.mountainwireless.com) for starters.

I didn't see the breakdown of a PRL on Bill's website. Where do I need to look? Also, there's alot of people who know what the list of sids are in the PRL but that doesn't make them not a secret. I too know what the PRL consists of for Sprinticon but I'm not at liberty to disclose.

Tom

Links to the current Verizonicon PRL list are at the bottom of the Verizonicon Pros & Cons page. The direct URL to the PRL page is:

http://pages.prodigy.net/billradio/50014.txt

I am keeping the previous PRL in my phone because it does not roam on to 1900 MHz in markets where Verizon already has 800 MHz service. That list is at:

http://pages.prodigy.net/billradio/50011.txt

Another user has decoded the Sprinticon PRL list for a Single-Band phone, and he has posted it at:

http://www.bridog.net/cellular/sprint.txt

-Bill Radio
    -www.mountainwireless.com

WA's 1st retired mod KevinJames's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    Samsung Note3
    Provider(s)
    AT&T
    Devices
    Plantronics Discovery925, Garmin Nuvi 660

Larry, Tom:

don't you just love it? The moment we state something as fact, someone comes along and throws mud in our face. Its happening too often to me lately. I think I'll invest a face guard.

:-)

Kevin

Fresh Member

A few questions about the PRL:

I am much more familiar with the TDMA platform and the working with the contents of an irdb which has preferred, favored, home and forbidden sids.

1) How does the delineation of favored SIDS work within the PRL? Are there "forbidden sids" or does it solely concern "preferred" ones? In other words, is a nonpreferred sid automatically an forbidden one?

2) Does the PRL for SPCS (this is for those who know) encompass analog roaming partners?

3) How does the NID play in the PRL - from the text in the decoded prl, it appears that NID can be used to distinguish a preferred from nonpreferred network.

4) How does SPCS utilize NIDs? The only ones I have seen in action (in my limited SPCS experience) have been a NID=1 in the 4162 SID for Horizon PCS properties. Perhaps NIDs are given to affiliates?

jason

WA's 1st retired mod KevinJames's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    Samsung Note3
    Provider(s)
    AT&T
    Devices
    Plantronics Discovery925, Garmin Nuvi 660

Jason,

Regarding item #2: Just two postings above yours, Bill Radio posted the text dump link for PRL 50014. It plainly shows AMPs sids.

Thanks Bill for the links.

Thread Information