Virgin Mobile

I currently have T-Mobile . They're really bad. The coverage is very inconsistent. My contract is up in June, and I ...

Shoulda joined long ago!

Default Virgin Mobile

I currently have T-Mobileicon. They're really bad. The coverage is very inconsistent. My contract is up in June, and I was looking towards another service. Virgin Mobile seems to have a really good deal, but I'm not sure that their coverage will be better than T-Mobileicon's. The maps look promising, but I want everyone's expert opinion on here. I live in the northern suburbs of Pittsburgh. My zip code is 16046, if that helps. I'm positive that I want prepaid this time. I think that my options are: Virgin Mobile, Freeup, and maybe AT&Ticon go phoneicon (I live on the border of two counties, and if I put my zip code in, it says I have no coverage, but if I put a zip code across the county line in, it says I have coverage). Please let me know what would be the best option. I don't need coverage everywhere, but I need better than T-Mobile. I care more about consistency than all-out coverage; I don't really care if the company has coverage in like, Idaho, so long as it works well here in Pittsburgh. I guess I'm looking for a happy medium between price and coverage. Thanks for your help!

i cant stop the ringing.. njsvrzncdma's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    LG vx8500
    LG vx8100
    Provider(s)
    VERIZON
    Devices
    MP3, GPS, Wireless LAN, TV remote (lol)

Default Virgin Mobile

AT&Ticon tdma and Verizonicon should help you in that search for better coverage. im not really familiar with Virginicon mobile.
    "Be fruitful, curious, careful, intelligent, spontanious and wise but never forget to have fun, never forget to remember the good times, and always be true to yourself."

Phone(s)
    Motorola i870
    Blackberry 7520
    Provider(s)
    Nextel
    Devices
    GPS 12, Kenwood TM-V7&D700,TH-D7,TinyTrak3

Default Virgin Mobile

Originally posted by: njsvrzncdma
    AT&Ticon tdma and Verizonicon should help you in that search for better coverage.
    What he said.

Virgin mobile = Sprinticon PCS plain and simple.

Rich in Southeast PA
    "Give me dBm, or give me death!"

Phone(s)
    Nokia Lumia 1520
    Provider(s)
    AT&T
    Devices
    Nexus 7 LTE
    Images

Default Virgin Mobile

bcb163 - The first thing I would do, would be to ask friends and other people you know who they use. And ask them if they are satisfied with who they have. Virgin Mobile is Sprint, like RichXKU mentioned. And AT&T go phoneicon is using there GSM network. As far as reliable networks go Verizonicon IMO is the best, then Sprint (VM), then a distant 3rd would be AT&T GSM. From your your experiance with T-Mobile it would be easy for me to eliminate AT&T go phone. There network is simular or worse than T-Mobile's in a lot of areas. AT&T GSM is still a work in progress & have roaming agreements with T-mobile & Cingular. So between Virgin Mobile & Verizonicon FreeUp, I would choose Verizon. Verizon is $0.05 more a minute, but have better coverage over VM (Sprint). And the phone selection & quality with Verizon is much better compared to VM. I havn't heard too many good thing about the quality of the VM phones. While with Verizon you can use just about all there new phones with FreeUp, and there older phones too (eBay). I hope this will help, good luck!

Phone(s)
    Nokia 6590i, 6820b
    Nokia 3595 IM
    Nokia 6800, 6610, 6340i
    Nokia 3390 Gold
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile US

Default Virgin Mobile

Wow...that's very surprising to hear about your bad T-Mobileicon coverage in Pittsburgh. I was there last week and stayed down at Station Square for 4 days. I've actually been bragging to my friends at how awesome the coverage was. I even had coverage in one of the tunnels I went thru. Amazing. Full bars all the way thru. I was pretty impressed. Even on some of the hilly, windy roads I was on I had full strength.

I believe Pittsburgh was originally an Aerial Communications GSM region before they turned into T-Mobileicon. I think the coverage is built out pretty well there.

Could your phone be the problem?

Phone(s)
    Motrola V3m
    Moto E815, Audiovox 9900
    Audiovox 8900, LGvx 10,
    Nokia 3360, Moto P8767
    Provider(s)
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Devices
    IPod Nano.

Default Virgin Mobile

Originally posted by: mpallo
    Could your phone be the problem?
    Not if its a Motorolaicon P280.

He/She probably uses the phone in places you do not.

Shoulda joined long ago!
    Threadstarter

Default Virgin Mobile

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I was kind of trying to stay away from Verizonicon because with their prepaid, whenever someone calls and gets your voicemail, your units are used. It's not a big deal, but Virgin doesn't do that. It looks like I might have to go with Verizonicon. I guess I was basically wondering how Sprint's coverage is around Pittsburgh, seeing as Virgin is Sprint.

And yeah, T-Mobileicon is great in the city. I think like every company works in Station Square, lol. I have no problems until I get into the suburbs. IT's then that I have a bunch of random spots with no coverage.

Phone(s)
    Nokia Lumia 1520
    Provider(s)
    AT&T
    Devices
    Nexus 7 LTE
    Images

Default Virgin Mobile

bcb163 - Go to either www.Sprintpcs.com or www.virginmobileusa.com , type your zip in and both sites should give you an idea on coverage in your area.

Shoulda joined long ago!
    Threadstarter

Default Virgin Mobile

All right....thanks for the input. If I were to go with Freeup from Verizonicon, would my only choices be the phones on the Freeup website? They're expensive and they're pretty bad. I refuse to pay $79.99 for a V120c. I need something a little more sleek and suave. I would be happy with a motoicon 720, but NOT for $199.99...

Phone(s)
    Motrola V3m
    Moto E815, Audiovox 9900
    Audiovox 8900, LGvx 10,
    Nokia 3360, Moto P8767
    Provider(s)
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Devices
    IPod Nano.

Default Virgin Mobile

Originally posted by: bcb163
    All right....thanks for the input. If I were to go with Freeup from Verizonicon, would my only choices be the phones on the Freeup website? They're expensive and they're pretty bad. I refuse to pay $79.99 for a V120c. I need something a little more sleek and suave. I would be happy with a motoicon 720, but NOT for $199.99...
    I don't know if that would be your only choice for the phone but know this, since you would not be on a contract, they won't subsidize the phone for you. The t720 is realy a $400 phone. If you were on a contract they would subsidize half or morre but you are trying to be a pre-pay customer wich means they have no guarantee to recoup those subsidized dollars.

Phone(s)
    Nokia Lumia 1520
    Provider(s)
    AT&T
    Devices
    Nexus 7 LTE
    Images

Default Virgin Mobile

bcb163 - You do not need to pruchase a FreeUP phone. Go to a Verizonicon Store and look at there phone displays. Most of there phones will have a FreeUp price along with the retail, 1 & 2 year contract price. The FreeUp price is usually between the 1 yr and retail price of the phone. And like I said in my original post, you can always look on eBay for a phone too. And you can even use older Verizonicon phones too. They just program it for use with a FreeUp Account.

Phone(s)
    iPhone 4
    (Personal & Work)
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

Default Virgin Mobile

Originally posted by: bcb163
    All right....thanks for the input. If I were to go with Freeup from Verizonicon, would my only choices be the phones on the Freeup website? They're expensive and they're pretty bad. I refuse to pay $79.99 for a V120c. I need something a little more sleek and suave. I would be happy with a Moto 720, but NOT for $199.99...

There is a Kyocera 2345 out now for FREEUP, much better than the 120c. Also, like Budney said, you can go ask for another phone though it would probably be expensive, it depends. I would go with that Kyocera. I had FREEUP, and I liked it alot except for the dumb messages left thing. At least on Verizonicon you get free weekend minutes (depending on the card bought) and cheaper night minutes over Virginicon. Virginicon is good though, just depends on your calling habits.

i cant stop the ringing.. njsvrzncdma's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    LG vx8500
    LG vx8100
    Provider(s)
    VERIZON
    Devices
    MP3, GPS, Wireless LAN, TV remote (lol)

Default Virgin Mobile

airb's the bomb..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
    "Be fruitful, curious, careful, intelligent, spontanious and wise but never forget to have fun, never forget to remember the good times, and always be true to yourself."

Thread Information