North America Plans

I call Canada frequently, very frequently and Im look for a cell phone provider that has a North American plan. I ...

I have arrived!

Default North America Plans

I call Canada frequently, very frequently and Im look for a cell phone provider that has a North American plan. I went into Cingular yesterday my current provider and saw a brochure with a North American plan. When I went to purchase the plan the employee found out that the plan isnt being offered anymore.

Does anybody know my best option for calling Canada using a wireless phone?

Thanks!!!!

Resident Spamslayer Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    HTC Vivid LTE
    Moto V551, iPAQ 6515
    Western Electric 302, 500
    Ericsson Ericophone
    Provider(s)
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Devices
    Zune 30gb & way too many BT devices to list
    Images

Default Re: North America Plans

Quote Originally Posted by sistrucr
    I call Canada frequently, very frequently and Im look for a cell phone provider that has a North American plan. I went into Cingular yesterday my current provider and saw a brochure with a North American plan. When I went to purchase the plan the employee found out that the plan isnt being offered anymore.

Thanks!!!!
    I'm sure Cingular still offers a NA plan. Call customer service. I'm thinking you must have spoken to a dolt working in an independent retailer and he didn't know what he was talking about.
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/256739406.png

Phone(s)
    MyTouch 4G
    BlackBerry 9780
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Images

T-Mobileicon has an add-on option for calls to Canada. Keep in mind this is not for using your phone while in Canada - you pay roaming etc. there:

$4.99 per line Discounted long distance to Canada
    You're already calling your friends and associates in Canada--now you can make all the calls you want and save. For $4.99 per month, you can make unlimited calls to Canada for just $0.09 per minute. And at $0.09 per minute, you can call whenever!
    Join the T-Mobile Group Forum (or any other!)

...a/k/a cheerioboy26 elsewhere on the net....

Fresh Member
    Phone(s)
    Motorola V330 (Unlocked)
    Motorola V188 (Unlocked)
    Treo 600 (Unlocked)
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile, Rogers Wireless

All of these wireless companies seem to think Canada is a foreign country

I have family up there and I have seen nothing like the grandfathered plan my younger sister has with Verizonicon. Canada is considered normal long distance for her and comes out of her regular minutes or unlimited nights and weekends; all for $34.99/month. No additional charges for Canada. Only problem is she is off contract if she tries to modify her plan in any way or get a new phone, they will terminate this deal.

I have TMOicon and I have seen their Canada plan BUT you still have to pay $.09/minute and you use up your minutes (and pay $4.99/month for the privilege). Best idea would probably be to get a phone card that gives you a cheap rate to Canada.

Phone(s)
    Blackberry Tour
    PC 5740
    LG Env3 (wife)
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Devices
    Clear spot

Cingular still has the North American plans, as does Verizonicon, they just dont have them on the websites. One difference between these plans and normal plans (for Verizonicon anyway), they dont include unlimited night and weekend or mobile to mobile, you only get 1000 of each.

I had to put one of our guys here on the NA plan because he travels to Mexico once a month to a plant down there, he racked up a couple of 800 a month bills before I knew what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by n2jtx
    I have family up there and I have seen nothing like the grandfathered plan my younger sister has with Verizonicon. Canada is considered normal long distance for her and comes out of her regular minutes or unlimited nights and weekends; all for $34.99/month. No additional charges for Canada.
    I have TMOicon and I have seen their Canada plan BUT you still have to pay $.09/minute and you use up your minutes (and pay $4.99/month for the privilege).
    I agree or get VOIP from CABLE TV and call as much you want.
    - 3 Billion GSM Users by 2009.
    - 700 GSM Carriers in 220 Countries
    - 82% of the Global Market
    45,000 Cell Sites and Adding.

I have arrived!
    Threadstarter

Thanks for the responses.

According to Cingular they stopped offering their NA plan in October. It seems as though they all have the pay a $5 a month and then you can call around 9c a minute. From what I can tell, until they come out with NA plans again, calling cards and maybe Vonage or something through your cable company is the way to go.

Thanks again for the responses. Just didnt think it would be such a challenge to make regular calls to Canada.

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

There are a number of companies out there that offer cheap long distance from your cell phone. The way they work is you dial a given number and from there you connect to the number you want in Canada. Some of them ask you to buy prepaid minutes. Others can bill you monthly for post paid usage.
    "Jobs was brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it."
    -Barack Obama

Phone(s)
    iphone 3gs
    Ericsson 717
    Provider(s)
    Tmobile

If you have plain old telephone service, AT&Ticon charges 6 cents a minute to a phone. Costs $1.00 a month.

You are not tied to a computer, as you are with Vonnage or Skype, if at home.

Mobile telephony, used directly, ain't cheap.

Mobile access, however, is convenient.

You pays for convenience. You want convenience?

Phone(s)
    Katana (2)
    Franklin 680 USB card
    Provider(s)
    Sprint, Millenicom

I think Sprinticon has an add-on to their plan to include Canada as part of your calling range, but not entirely sure.

Suliman

Shoulda joined long ago! PARSROBC's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    LG VX 8100
    LG VX 3300 (3 lines)
    Motorola V276
    Provider(s)
    VERIZON

If you are still looking, I have free long distance to Canada with Road Runner from Time Warner if it is available in your area. 99 dollars a month for hi speed internet, digital cable and phone service. Free long distance to all continental us states + canada and only 9 cents a minute to Mexico.
    works for me !

Fresh Member

Verizonicon has plans that include Canada and Mexico. It includes calls to, and while in Canada. It is the North America's Choice plan. They also have family plans. They are slightly more expensive, and usually only include 1000 mobile to mobile as well as 1000 night and weekend.

Fresh Member

I have family up there and I have seen nothing like the grandfathered plan my younger sister has with Verizonicon. Canada is considered normal long distance for her and comes out of her regular minutes or unlimited nights and weekends; all for $34.99/month. No additional charges for Canada. Only problem is she is off contract if she tries to modify her plan in any way or get a new phone, they will terminate this deal.

Keep in mind that with the older plans (before May 2004, I think) that calls to Canada were included. With the newer plans, calls to Canda are NOT included with VZW's plans. If you call Canada alot, keep that in mind before you change you callilng and go with a new promo.

Fresh Member

Lightbulb Re: North America Plans

Ummmm, Canada is a foreign country.

Signal Go Down De Hole... ZaphodB's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    LG VX5600
    iPhone 3GS
    LG Chocolate GSM
    Provider(s)
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)

* ZaphodB watches the pitch go right past TrapperKeeper.

I have to say, having just come back from downtown Canada, the coverage up there on Bell Mobilité is INCREDIBLE... now, the only thing left is the painful bit, where I get the bill from Verizonicon.

Phone(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Provider(s)
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Images

When I had a layover at the Toronto airport, my TELUS(I think I roamed on them) coverage was horrible. I never got more than 2 bars and in some parts my phone switched between no service and a weak one bar. All that while the GSM networks had full service everywhere.

Phone(s)
    ZTE Unico
    ZTE Majesty
    LG Optimus Exceed 2
    Provider(s)
    America Movil, Verizon
    Devices
    Motorola H720 Bluetooth
    Images

At the border crossing, Verizonicon roams on Bell Mobility. Once closer to Montreal, it roams on Telus.

I'm happy to say that in November (when I re-activated an old Verizonicon prepay phone and before I switched to Verizon postpay) on a bus trip, I had non-stop coverage from home, right through to downtown Montreal. Native Verizon coverage all the way through MA, NH, and VT (no gaps) and it roamed at the border. Excellent.

And yes, the Verizon prepay phone worked in Canada, it would not text message up there, the phone displayed it had to be in a digital service area, it was - as 1X was displayed, but required double-dialing to place a call. It could receive calls as well.
    America Movil/Straight Talk/TracFone customer since 2004.
    verizon customer since 2013.
    T-Mobile customer from 2005-2014.

Signal Go Down De Hole... ZaphodB's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    LG VX5600
    iPhone 3GS
    LG Chocolate GSM
    Provider(s)
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)

Oddly, my phone preferred Bell to Telus even in Montréal... maybe a difference in PRL.

Phone(s)
    Katana (2)
    Franklin 680 USB card
    Provider(s)
    Sprint, Millenicom

If you have a Sprinticon PCS plan, you can add the Sprinticon PCS Canada plan for $7.00/month. Calls to anywhere in Canada will be billed at .09/minute.

Suliman

Phone(s)
    ZTE Unico
    ZTE Majesty
    LG Optimus Exceed 2
    Provider(s)
    America Movil, Verizon
    Devices
    Motorola H720 Bluetooth
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ZaphodB
    Oddly, my phone preferred Bell to Telus even in Montréal... maybe a difference in PRL.
    It was this non-stop coverage that cemented my decision to switch to Verizonicon postpay.

I know the prepay PRL is different than AC2's PRL. I guess Telus was higher up in priority in the PRL than Bell. The signal was excellent, I had mostly full signal (7 bars, Nokia 3589i) just about everywhere.
    America Movil/Straight Talk/TracFone customer since 2004.
    verizon customer since 2013.
    T-Mobile customer from 2005-2014.

fb
    fb has left the building.

Phone(s)
    Blackberry Pearl 8100
    Blackberry Pearl 8100
    Nokia 3120b
    Motorola V220
    Provider(s)
    AT&T Wireless/Cingular Blue
    Devices
    iPod Nano, TomTom XL350TM

Quote Originally Posted by sistrucr

Thanks!!!!
    OneSuite is a good option. You will use your minutes to call a local number (or pay a higher per minute rate and call the toll free number). There is a surcharge for calling from a payphone using the 800 number.
    Here is a referral link if you like:
    https://www.onesuite.com/023U08779/suitetreat
    Calling Canada using their local number access is only 1.9 cents a minute. Prepaying 10 dollars gets you a lot of minutes!

Another service is talkloop. I don't know anyone who uses them, but they have good rates as well.

fb
    AT&T Wireless 1850 Anytime/7 PM nights
    Free incoming text
    Not migrating , but irritated I cannot add a text plan!

Thread Information