Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast

Nokia 6131 Review

Originally Posted by Charlyee I observed the battery again, now I am pretty sure it goes from full to around 2/3 ...

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

Default Re: Nokia 6131 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyee
    I observed the battery again, now I am pretty sure it goes from full to around 2/3 to around 1/3 to around 1/8 or 1/6. See this is what I don't like about about having "fill" and not "bars", it is just not precise. The battery does go down even when the phone is shut off. Last night it was 2/3, this morning it was still 2/3 when powered up but then it went down to 1/3 without even using it.
    I guess you can think of it as having 3 bars on the battery indicator: Full=3 bars; 2/3=2 bars; 1/3=1 bar; 1/8=0 bars

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyee
    I am using the normal font on the Mini.
    Normal font? wow! and that looks like the small font in that picture. I can imagine the small font would look really miniature!

By the way, I was told today the 6126 suffered another setback. It's looking more like early to mid-September.
    "Jobs was brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it."
    -Barack Obama

Phone(s)
    Nokia Lumia 1520
    Provider(s)
    AT&T
    Devices
    Nexus 7 LTE
    Images

Thanks Charlyee for the Opera pics!

Opera Mini looks just as good as Opera Mobile on my 6700. I think I feel a phone purchase coming in my future.

kjo
    kjo has left the building.

Phone(s)
    Rooted HTC MyTouch 3g,
    Rooted Apple Iphone
    unlocked also
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile2Go, (Verizon(previous for many years))
    Devices
    Apple Ipod Touch 5th generation

Great pics Charlyee!

It looks like a awesome phone with all the bells and whistles...just no microphone I guess huh ??
    It'll show up eventually...if not it's magic!

Yes I know I'm

kjo
    kjo has left the building.

Phone(s)
    Rooted HTC MyTouch 3g,
    Rooted Apple Iphone
    unlocked also
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile2Go, (Verizon(previous for many years))
    Devices
    Apple Ipod Touch 5th generation

Okay so I did a little research...

Charlyee....I went to nokia's website and brought up the user's manual to your phone. In the back of manual at the index it says microphone page 22.
    so I looked that up and it's basically just a picture with arrows pointing to what keys and parts are.
    There is nothing listed for microphone...but there is for loudspeaker down on the lower right side of the phone. Not that I need to tell you this..it's your phone and you have the manual but I'm thinking they are one and the same. I don't know if that helps or just makes it more confusing.

I made my first post!

ahem ahem!! ah ha...I've got an embarassing problem...How to send data to other cellfones via Infrared or bluetooth using 6131? I dont see "Send Via..." option anywhere. I know the solution is really silly...but I am bored to do more RnD...help me please.

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5S Space Grey Ulck
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, 3G
    Nokia 6131 Nokia 6230
    Provider(s)
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Devices
    IPad Mini & Retina, MBP, iMac, Dell, AppleTV

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyee View Post
    viewfly, this picture is for you..............
    Very nice Charlyee. I waiting to see the phone in my local store someday... I can dream.

How do you pick a function, like Sin? Is there a key for that?

P.S. Been away, on vacation, just catching up on your picts.

Ultimate Insanity
    Threadstarter
    Phone(s)
    iPhone 5s
    Moto X
    Nokia Asha 311
    Provider(s)
    at&t/Docomo/Airtel
    Devices
    iPad Air
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kjo View Post
    Great pics Charlyee!

It looks like a awesome phone with all the bells and whistles...just no microphone I guess huh ??
    It'll show up eventually...if not it's magic!

Yes I know I'm
    Hi Kelli thanks. Lol you are funny, maybe it is magic.

Quote Originally Posted by kjo View Post
    Okay so I did a little research...

Charlyee....I went to nokia's website and brought up the user's manual to your phone. In the back of manual at the index it says microphone page 22.
    so I looked that up and it's basically just a picture with arrows pointing to what keys and parts are.
    There is nothing listed for microphone...but there is for loudspeaker down on the lower right side of the phone. Not that I need to tell you this..it's your phone and you have the manual but I'm thinking they are one and the same. I don't know if that helps or just makes it more confusing.
    Kelli, you are are so sweet, thanks for doing research for me , I don't think it is possible to combine a microphone and a speaker, I would think there would be feedback but I have no clue yet where the microphone is. I can't wait for someone from WA to get the 6126 and let us know where the microphone is.

Quote Originally Posted by masala_curry View Post
    ahem ahem!! ah ha...I've got an embarassing problem...How to send data to other cellfones via Infrared or bluetooth using 6131? I dont see "Send Via..." option anywhere. I know the solution is really silly...but I am bored to do more RnD...help me please.
    Hello and welcome to WA. Could you be a little more specific as to what you mean by data and then maybe I can help. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewfly View Post
    Very nice Charlyee. I waiting to see the phone in my local store someday... I can dream.

How do you pick a function, like Sin? Is there a key for that?

P.S. Been away, on vacation, just catching up on your picts.
    Hi viewfly thanks, welcome back from vacation, I hope you had a great time.

As for the calculator you navigate through the functions shown on the screen through the 4-way navigation button on the phone.

You may have read that Shizam, Gamer, and I (and possibly others) are meeting in Chicago and going to the Nokia store on Thursday, maybe they will have the 6126 there, or atleast know something about it....
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)

QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820 > iPhone 5 > Motorola Moto X > iPhone 5s

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

You might have heard that Let'sTalk.com and Amazonicon.com are showing the 6126 for sale. These might be pre-orders or unbranded phones, not sure.

Charlyee, I will certainly find out where the mic is when I get mine if someone else doesn't do it by then.
    "Jobs was brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it."
    -Barack Obama

Shoulda joined long ago!

Hi all. I'm new to the forums and to Nokia's phones as well. I got 6131 a week ago and like it a lot. step by step I resolved all problems by reading posts here and some other places. the one thing that I need help with it's google map and opera mini. none of them can access the web each saying "subscribe to pocket data first". my web is working, SMS and MMS are working settings set from nokia global website. Somehow settings for 6131 sent from USA website are not working at all. e-mails (Verizonicon and hotmail) are working (but I had to setup those manually). Any idea's on how to make web application to access the network?

Please keep in mind though I was able to resolve bunch of issues I had I'm pretty new to all this and I afraid to mess something up, please be a bit more detailed.

Thanks in advance,
    Vlad

P.S.
    I have FW v.03.50

Shoulda joined long ago!

I got it!

here are the details from other site:
    Alot of users have been reporting problems/ huge problems getting these models of phones to work with Opera mini.

This issue has been bugging me somewhat, and this morning I started to go through all the wierd settings on these series of phones and howto somehow get them to work with Opera mini.

This is what I found out and how I managed to get a clean(no previous apn's or stuff setup on it) Nokia 6101 (S40 2.0) phone to work.

So, to start from the beginning.
    I will start from the point where you have already downloaded Opera mini, and it is installed, but are unable to load pages with Opera mini.

#1 Go into Settings

#2 Go into Configuration

#3 Go into Personal Configuration Settings.

#4 Now, Press Add New(visible if you don't have a previous Personal Setting Created) or press the Options button.
    When you have Pressed the Options button, choose Add new.

#5 When you have pressed Add New, you will get a new menu, which will give several Options to choose from.

#6 Now, scroll down and choose the Access point and press select. (Please note that this option is not avalible on the Nokia 3220 model and maybe on some more models, you can instead use the 'Services' option instead of the Access Point option on the Nokia 3220.)
    Do _NOT_ choose the WEB option, since this will not work with Opera mini.

#7 Now go into Access point Settings

#8 Now go into Bearer settings

#9 Now go into Packet data access point

#10 Now, enter you APN adress corresponding to your provider. Then Press Ok(This APN could very well be the same one that you use for your WAP browsers)

#11 Go back out to the Personal configurations settings menu, where you now should be able see a Access Point selected.

#12 Now press the Options button, and then choose to activate this Access Point.(Vital that this is step is performed)

#13 Now you should be able to start Opera mini, and try to load a link on your phone.

If you are still having problems with your Nokia S40 2.0 model of phone, please make sure that you have entered all the requried information into the apn setting, concerning proxy's/users/passwords/port etc.

I have tried this on 3 different S40 2.0 phones now and I have been successfull on all of them.
    I really hope this helps alot of users to get Opera mini to work, since Opera mini it great on this series of phones.

Good luck all and please post your results here. =)

and for cingular i got the account information from a cingular phone support site:
    Bearer type: pocket data
    pocket data AP: wap.cingular
    authentication type: normal
    user: [email protected]
    pw: CINGULAR1

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

Thanks for the info. CNET posted a review of the 6126:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Nokia_6126/4...0.html?tag=sub
    -Barack Obama

Phone(s)
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Prev: T-Mo G1, BB 8830
    BB 8703e, Nokia 6200
    Siem. S46, Erics. R280LX
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    Various once-cherished Palm OS: IIIxe, Vx, T2

Quote Originally Posted by bobolito View Post
    Thanks for the info. CNET posted a review of the 6126:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Nokia_6126/4...0.html?tag=sub

Thanks for the link. So best guess on an ETA for this is still mid-September?

Shoulda joined long ago!

Default Re: Nokia 6131 help BT connection

folks, I need one more advice:
    I was able to pair HP h2210 with 6131 and I can browse folders on 6131 from PDA via BT OBEX. but cannot figure out how move MP3 from PDA to phone , but more important I cannot browse internet from PDA using unlimited pocket data plan I have. when I open internet explorer on PDA it uses the phone as a dial-up connection, but I want data connection. Please explain or give a clue what to look for.

Thanks

Phone(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, 3G
    Nokia 6131 Nokia 6230
    Provider(s)
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Devices

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    Thanks for the link. So best guess on an ETA for this is still mid-September?
    No, really? oh boy.

Phone(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, 3G
    Nokia 6131 Nokia 6230
    Provider(s)
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Devices

Hey Charlyee,

I found this OEM faceplate replacement for the 6131. What do you think? A good link for when you get your first drop marks on the new phone. Seems to be only one color though.

http://cnn.cn/shop/nokia-6131-rubber...ing-p-822.html

Phone(s)
    Nokia 6131
    Nokia 6820
    Provider(s)
    Cingular

So best guess on an ETA for this is still mid-September?
    damn...i want this phone already. wish they stopped moving the release day!

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

The latest word is that Cingular cancelled the 6126. Don't wait for it.

I don't know why, but I am willing to speculate it has something to do with hardware issues such as cover durability and maybe battery life.
    -Barack Obama

Phone(s)
    Nokia 6131
    Nokia 6820
    Provider(s)
    Cingular

I don't know why, but I am willing to speculate it has something to do with hardware issues such as cover durability and maybe battery life.

i hope you just have a cruel sense of humor.

why-o-why.....this means i now have to go back to the drawing board and look for something else. man, i was so set on this phone!

so whats the word on running an unlocked 6131 on cingular?

Ultimate Insanity
    Threadstarter
    Phone(s)
    iPhone 5s
    Moto X
    Nokia Asha 311
    Provider(s)
    at&t/Docomo/Airtel
    Devices
    iPad Air
    Images

I have been following the thread on this on HoFo pretty diligently and was wondering when you were going to post it on WA. .

Actually I was looking forward to the 6126 also, not only for someone to let me know where the microphone on this was but also to play with one and see if there were any difference between the 6131 and the 6126 in performance and application softwate.

I have had mine since June 9, and although I am not brutal on my phones by any means but at the same time I don't baby them either.
    I have not had any problem with the rubberized coating.

It has a very high quality and durable LCD screen and I like the fact that the LCD screen is indented (keeps my earrings from touching it) and there is not a flush mounted cheap plastic or glass piece covering it, that would sctrach easily. The LCD screen on mine still look as good as it did the first day. The only problem is getting into the corners to clean it.

The battery on mine easily lasts 2+ days with my usage which is a combination of data & voice moderately. The only time I depleted the battery in one day is when we were texting continuously while arranging our Chicago meet. As I mentioned before I can easily make a 15 min phone call after the low battery alarm comes on so that's a plus.

I don't want to speculate on why the 6126 was cancelled, there is enough of that in HoFo, and some pretty interesting ones too, but it is too bad that it was. The way I look at it I have not only a great phone but no one around me has one or will have one without the 6126, and I like that that.

bobolito, when are you getting the 6131?

QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820 > iPhone 5 > Motorola Moto X > iPhone 5s

Ultimate Insanity
    Threadstarter
    Phone(s)
    iPhone 5s
    Moto X
    Nokia Asha 311
    Provider(s)
    at&t/Docomo/Airtel
    Devices
    iPad Air
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jikozi View Post
    i hope you just have a cruel sense of humor.

why-o-why.....this means i now have to go back to the drawing board and look for something else. man, i was so set on this phone!

so whats the word on running an unlocked 6131 on cingular?
    I have my unlocked, unbranded 6131 running on Cingular since June. Setting it up for MMS, Media-Net and pop3 E-Mail took less than an hour, all the settings were sent to my phone from the Nokia site. Setting up Opera Mini took a little longer but that was more of an operator error.. .

The only thing that does not work on mine is video messaging, the video camera works fine and I can upload the video clips to my computer. I have SE Asian version so I have some chineses characters on some of the keys and a dictionery program for translating into Chinese & Melayu, and my manual is also in three languages including English. The words are pronounced in a clipped British accent so voice recognition is a little tricky as is using T9 because of the British spelling of words.

I really like this phone and I don't see anything out on the market for me at present that has the quality, reception, call clarity, UI and speed of this phone in an under $300 price range.

Hope this helps....

Phone(s)
    Nokia 6131
    Nokia 6820
    Provider(s)
    Cingular

EDIT: Nevermind! you beat me to it...thanks Charlyee!

i am assuming that SE Asian, or a euro one wouldnt matter as they seem to cover the same service bandwith.
    one more question, since the oversees phones come with radio, does that work out here?

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

Charlyee, I was looking forward for Cingular to carry this phone as well, but whether Cingular carries it or not, that's not going to stop me from getting it. I've already made up my mind to get this phone. I was just waiting to get it from Cingular since I like the convenience and piece of mind of having a phone that I can always talk to Cingular if I have any problems with it. But if I have to get an unbranded version, I wouldn't mind calling Nokia if I have any issues that would require a warranty replacement. Therefore, I rather get the 6126 over the 6131 simply because of Nokia support. I've read too many stories that Nokia USA won't support the 6131. But if they did, I wouldn't mind getting a 6131 because it appears to have more features like FM radio.

As for HoFo, I always like to wait until information has a certain level of confirmation before I post it here.

Phone(s)
    Nokia 6131
    Nokia 6820
    Provider(s)
    Cingular

bobolito...how do you plan on getting the 6126 if they wont carry it?

Ultimate Insanity
    Threadstarter
    Phone(s)
    iPhone 5s
    Moto X
    Nokia Asha 311
    Provider(s)
    at&t/Docomo/Airtel
    Devices
    iPad Air
    Images

EDIT: Nevermind! you beat me to it...thanks Charlyee!

i am assuming that SE Asian, or a euro one wouldnt matter as they seem to cover the same service bandwith.
    one more question, since the oversees phones come with radio, does that work out here?
    Yes it is a quad band phone w/o 3G so all version will work the same except for the language packs on them. They will all have English on it though. The Eurasian version comes with an US adapter plug for power if that makes any difference. The FM radio works great. I am not sure if you are familiar with 6230 but it works similarly so that you would need the wired headset (which came with my phone) plugged in for it to work.
    Charlyee, I was looking forward for Cingular to carry this phone as well, but whether Cingular carries it or not, that's not going to stop me from getting it. I've already made up my mind to get this phone. I was just waiting to get it from Cingular since I like the convenience and piece of mind of having a phone that I can always talk to Cingular if I have any problems with it. But if I have to get an unbranded version, I wouldn't mind calling Nokia if I have any issues that would require a warranty replacement. Therefore, I rather get the 6126 over the 6131 simply because of Nokia support. I've read too many stories that Nokia USA won't support the 6131. But if they did, I wouldn't mind getting a 6131 because it appears to have more features like FM radio.

As for HoFo, I always like to wait until information has a certain level of confirmation before I post it here.
    They sure get crazy over there sometimes don't they, I am enjoying reading all the conspiracy theory and who threw pie in whose face.

Do you think Nokia will be selling these directly even if Cingular does not carry them? I am not sure I recall any phone in the recent past that was specifically for the US market being available with no US provider supporting it. Of course the 6126 has had enough hype so Nokia may still market it.

You are right Nokia Usa will not cover my phone, if I need any repair it has to go back to the country of origin, in my case Hong Kong.

PS: I love your new avatar......

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

bobolito...how do you plan on getting the 6126 if they wont carry it?
    I believe NokiaUSA will sell the phone directly, plus there will be other sources on the Internet, like Amazonicon, Ebay, Wireflyicon, etc.

Phone(s)
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    BB 8703e, Nokia 6200
    Siem. S46, Erics. R280LX
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices

Thanks for the update. I hadn't been following HoFo too closely in the last couple of weeks, so I'm glad you guys were. I just think its sad that after all our agonizing over the release date and all the anticipation that we had for this phone, Cingular cancelled it. And this one got much further than the 6282 ever did (to bring up another painful topic ). Makes the "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude that you get in the Cingular stores almost seem reasonable .

Phone(s)
    Nokia 6131
    Nokia 6820
    Provider(s)
    Cingular

Thank you for all the feedback/help! Really appreciate it. I am not sure why, but I have my mind totally set on this phone, and dealing with the constantly moving release days and now the cancellation has been frustrating. It might end up being the 6131 for me. All of my previous Nokia phones worked flawless-ly so I hope this one will do the same. Thanks again!

Phone(s)
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    BB 8703e, Nokia 6200
    Siem. S46, Erics. R280LX
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices

I have had mine since June 9, and although I am not brutal on my phones by any means but at the same time I don't baby them either.
    I have not had any problem with the rubberized coating.

It has a very high quality and durable LCD screen and I like the fact that the LCD screen is indented (keeps my earrings from touching it) and there is not a flush mounted cheap plastic or glass piece covering it, that would sctrach easily. The LCD screen on mine still look as good as it did the first day. The only problem is getting into the corners to clean it.
    I thought the issue Cingular had was with the mount or the surface of the external screen. Wasn't that it? I haven't heard any details on how prevalent or serious this was in their testing. On my LG CU500 I have clear plastic screen protectors on both the internal and external screens. I would have been willing to do the same on the 6126.

I have my unlocked, unbranded 6131 running on Cingular since June. Setting it up for MMS, Media-Net and pop3 E-Mail took less than an hour... The only thing that does not work on mine is video messaging ...The words are pronounced in a clipped British accent so voice recognition is a little tricky as is using T9 because of the British spelling of words.

I really like this phone and I don't see anything out on the market for me at present that has the quality, reception, call clarity, UI and speed of this phone in an under $300 price range.
    The Eurasian version comes with an US adapter plug for power if that makes any difference. The FM radio works great.
    I would still consider getting this phone, expecially if, as Bobolito speculated, the 6126 is sold here by Nokia. My issues with the 6131 are British T9 (I can't free-text as fast as Charlyee) and the need for a US plug adapter. I've got too much of that kind of stuff to carry around as it is, and that's just one more thing to lose. I would like to have the FM Radio, though. My LG doesn't have that.

BTW the 6126 is still on the Nokia USA "expected soon" page. For what that's worth. So is the 6282

Ultimate Insanity
    Threadstarter
    Phone(s)
    iPhone 5s
    Moto X
    Nokia Asha 311
    Provider(s)
    at&t/Docomo/Airtel
    Devices
    iPad Air
    Images

Thank you for all the feedback/help! Really appreciate it. I am not sure why, but I have my mind totally set on this phone, and dealing with the constantly moving release days and now the cancellation has been frustrating. It might end up being the 6131 for me. All of my previous Nokia phones worked flawless-ly so I hope this one will do the same. Thanks again!
    You are very welcome, I hope it works out for you. Please let us know what you do.
    I thought the issue Cingular had was with the mount or the surface of the external screen. Wasn't that it? I haven't heard any details on how prevalent or serious this was in their testing.
    I think the issue was with the internal screen also, since it is the bare LCD without a glass covering like your CU500 is. Yes I also use screen protectors on all my phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveW
    I would still consider getting this phone, expecially if, as Bobolito speculated, the 6126 is sold here by Nokia. My issues with the 6131 are British T9 (I can't free-text as fast as Charlyee) and the need for a US plug adapter. I've got too much of that kind of stuff to carry around as it is, and that's just one more thing to lose. I would like to have the FM Radio, though. My LG doesn't have that.
    Steve, you are funny, maybe you just need more practice texting... . I don't use my US plug adapter, I bought the US power cord for the 6131 from Nokia and use that instead
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveW
    BTW the 6126 is still on the Nokia USA "expected soon" page. For what that's worth. So is the 6282
    Yes, and they are supposed to be E-Mailing me when it is available. I had just called them Friday about it and they said they don't have a release date within the next 15 days. Btw, I do think you have to give up on your 6282....

Wireless Guru
    Phone(s)
    iphone 3gs 32black
    nokia 6230
    moto,v600
    moto,v551
    Provider(s)
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Devices
    m3000,hs810, Sirius,sportster,w/boombox,
    Images

I thought the issue Cingular had was with the mount or the surface of the external screen. Wasn't that it? I haven't heard any details on how prevalent or serious this was in their testing. On my LG CU500 I have clear plastic screen protectors on both the internal and external screens. I would have been willing to do the same on the 6126.

your lg has streaming video, and radio, i think thats better,
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/90674468.png

Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night, because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
    ~George Orwell

Thread Information