Can Verizon Activate a Nextel Phone?

I have a Motorola i60c that I used with Nextel for about three weeks. I cancelled the service and went with ...

I made my first post!

Exclamation Can Verizon Activate a Nextel Phone?

I have a Motorola i60c that I used with Nextelicon for about three weeks. I cancelled the service and went with Verizonicon instead. This was about three years ago. I recently lost my Verizonicon phone for the third time. Of course they wont give me insurance now. I came accross this old Nextelicon phone which is like Brand New. Can I activate it with my Verizon Service?

Resident Spamslayer Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    HTC Vivid LTE
    Moto V551, iPAQ 6515
    Western Electric 302, 500
    Ericsson Ericophone
    Provider(s)
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Devices
    Zune 30gb & way too many BT devices to list
    Images

Default Re: Can Verizon Activate a Nextel Phone?

Nope. Verizonicon and Nextel use different network technologies. Verizonicon uses CDMA and Nextelicon uses iDEN. They are not compatible.

-Jay
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/256739406.png

Phone(s)
    Blackberry 8830
    Provider(s)
    Sprint

and don't get any ideas about switching to Nextelicon either.....they may have good services but they arent highspeed their text messaging sucks and they are currently being integrated into Sprinticon PCS which means that the Nextel iDEN will disappear that phone my be good now but by 2010 it will be completely worthless....

rwsrichard

Quote Originally Posted by pollydog
    I have a Motorola i60c that I used with Nextelicon for about three weeks. I cancelled the service and went with Verizonicon instead. This was about three years ago. I recently lost my Verizonicon phone for the third time. Of course they wont give me insurance now. I came accross this old Nextelicon phone which is like Brand New. Can I activate it with my Verizon Service?

One real quick way to see is to go to the VZW wireless website. From here create you an account ID, if you have not already done so.

Login and under you account click on 'activate phone'. Just follow the instructions and IF the phone works it works, IF not you will get a message stating so.

This saved me $25 when our phones we ordered online came in. When we called VZW to activate them, they said they wanted $25 per phone to activate OR we could do it for free by following the above steps.

Hope that helps, also.

Phone(s)
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    SLVR L6, v710
    E815, E816(ampd)
    LG 380, 8600
    Provider(s)
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Devices
    Garmin eTrex Vista Cx, Bluetooth headset

Quote Originally Posted by rwsrichard
    One real quick way to see is to go to the VZW wireless website. From here create you an account ID, if you have not already done so.

Login and under you account click on 'activate phone'. Just follow the instructions and IF the phone works it works, IF not you will get a message stating so.

This saved me $25 when our phones we ordered online came in. When we called VZW to activate them, they said they wanted $25 per phone to activate OR we could do it for free by following the above steps.

Hope that helps, also.
    He could....but with this we no it won't work. Because There are three major wireless network technologies, CDMA, GSM, iDen. Unless they are dual-network/world phones they won't work with eachother at all. But for any future one CDMA phone he buys that will help a lot.
    www.ALLTELLIVES.com
    My words of wisdom and random thoughts....Doesn't matter how many people are on a network, you can only use one phone at a time...ok maybe two...

Phone(s)
    Blackberry 8830
    Provider(s)
    Sprint

Motorolaicon has released a dual mode phone that will work on CDMA for voice and data and iDEN for DC......it doesn't have any bells and whistles but it gets the point across and it is rugged like a Nextelicon

Phone(s)
    HTC Droid DNA
    Provider(s)
    Verizon Wireless (since 1994)

Quote Originally Posted by SmArTeStChIlD421
    Motorola has released a dual mode phone that will work on CDMA for voice and data and iDEN for DC......it doesn't have any bells and whistles but it gets the point across and it is rugged like a Nextelicon
    Yes, but specifically for Sprinticon and Nextel. The likelihood of Verizonicon activating this phone is non-existent.
    PacTel Cellular (1994) became AIRTOUCH (1994-2000) which became verizonwireless (2000-Present)

Phone(s)
    Blackberry 8830
    Provider(s)
    Sprint

thats true.....Verizonicon has now tightened security so

1)the phone has to be E911 compliant
    2)the phone must contain Verizonicon's preferred roaming database
    3)the phone must contain Verizon software (the unique interface that is on
    all Verizon phones only)

3 also means must be locked to Verizon network

which means if you have an old Sprinticon phone and want to go to Verizon with that phone then you might have to actually send the phone in for them to program if they will even do that at all

Thread Information