Quick Question - what does 1x mean?--

It says that on my new v60s... which I am liking so far, although I haven't done all the extensive testing ...

Fresh Member

Default Quick Question - what does 1x mean?--

It says that on my new v60s... which I am liking so far, although I haven't done all the extensive testing you all do... basically sitting here staring at it. : )

Phone(s)
    e815
    past: 8100,670,4500,8600
    LG5250,nokia8290,samy3500
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Devices
    Archos Gmini400, XM

staring at such an ugly phone?! why!?!? (haha sorry, i am like the only person in the world who doesnt like the look of the V60) but anyways getting to your question 1x basically replaces the D that you used to see. the D stood for digital service and the 1x means its high speed digital service. Basically when you see the 1x its like when you used to see a D on your old startac.

Fresh Member
    Threadstarter

Thanks (hope I'm replying right)
    it still has a D on the screen too though....
    yeah it's not that pretty, but compared to the old StarTAC this is high tech. haha!

D is digital and still there. 1X does not replace digital. two different things.

Decepticon Air Commander Cenobyte's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    LG VX8700
    Everything else VZW sells
    Provider(s)
    VZW
    Devices
    Blastech EE-3 carbine

1x is short for 1xRTT (1x Radio Transmission Technology). It is basically an enhancement to normal (IS-95) CDMA digital service. 1x allows for data transmission speeds up to 10 times faster than IS-95. In addition, it increases the amount of capacity in the network, allowing each cell site to handle more calls, and thus improving voice quality.

In your case, if you were to use your phone as a modem, it would allow your v60s to connect to the internet much faster and download information more quickly than a startac.

Future improvements on 1x include 1x EV-DO (Evolution, Data Only) and EV-DV (Evolution, Data Voice). Verizonicon has launched EV-DO networks in San Diego and Washington D.C. EV-DO brings data transmission speeds up to that of a cable modem connection or faster, with speeds bursting up to 2mbps.

Former Mobile Data Addict MOTOhooligan's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    Motorola v860
    Provider(s)
    Western Wireless
    Devices
    Motorola S805
    Images

Uh, yeah... what Ceno said. Here's a link if you need more info on 1xRTT.
    Is it too much to ask for a phone with physical buttons?

Fresh Member

Originally posted by: orioles150
    staring at such an ugly phone?! why!?!? (haha sorry, i am like the only person in the world who doesnt like the look of the V60).
    wow, that's bold statement coming from an audiovox 8600 owner. I usually don't care what a phone looks like, but that is one ugly phone. mostly the external display shape.

I guess to each their own, eh? =)

Phone(s)
    Motorola Q
    VX7000
    VX8100
    V3 RAZR
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Devices
    MP3, GPS, PDA

I like the look of the v60 series phones, but it started to look worse and worse as everybody in the atlanta area started to get one ...Oh well. You're right Jason, to each his own.
    "so i tell the swamp donkey to sock it before i give her a trunky in the tradesman's entrance and i have her lick my yardballs"
    -Soccer Hooligan

Phone(s)
    Galaxy S4
    Provider(s)
    AT&T
    Devices
    Plantronics
    Images

Originally posted by: Jasontech
    Originally posted by: orioles150
    staring at such an ugly phone?! why!?!? (haha sorry, i am like the only person in the world who doesnt like the look of the V60).
    wow, that's bold statement coming from an audiovox 8600 owner. I usually don't care what a phone looks like, but that is one ugly phone. mostly the external display shape.

I guess to each their own, eh? =)
    Ouch..........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

(oOO \ (||||)(||||) / OOo)

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
    they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out.

Dv8
    Dv8 has left the building.

to add to Ceno's statement, 1x also means you will be in a MTM area.
    You know that every time I try to go where I really want to be.... it's already where I am.....
    'Cause I'm already there.

~ System of a down

I agree with orioles, the v60 is an ugly phone. But, if it makes calls I guess who cares, right? Anyway, maybe yall have, but can you (anyone) explain what 1x means in dumby terms? What if someone doesn't use their phone for internet use, then what does 1x matter? Does 1x make your call quality better when talking on the phone? Does it make your battery life better or does that even matter when talking about 1x and all them other acronyms and "junk" yall were saying?

Fresh Member

Originally posted by: Babyboy
    I agree with orioles, the v60 is an ugly phone. But, if it makes calls I guess who cares, right? Anyway, maybe yall have, but can you (anyone) explain what 1x means in dumby terms? What if someone doesn't use their phone for internet use, then what does 1x matter? Does 1x make your call quality better when talking on the phone? Does it make your battery life better or does that even matter when talking about 1x and all them other acronyms and "junk" yall were saying?

My 60i is like waking up to an Ugly wife!! that you kno does the usual[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] but your Grateful and love her for it anyway. Because you know you'll devorce her soon for the girl of your Dreams!!(V600A) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

This is why im not looking to get married anytime soon!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

1X means the high speed service uses one CDMA channel (1.25Mhz). There's also 3X which uses 3 CDMA channels (3 X 1.25Mhz = 3.75Mhz) which gives 3 times the speed because the bandwidth is 3 times as wide. However, this is not available in the US. I think in Asia only.
    "Jobs was brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it."
    -Barack Obama

Thread Information