Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jpaytoncfd

is it possible to change esn number?

I found an LG 6190 fasttap phone from Telus on the ground that was deactivated, because the phone was lost/stolen. Because ...

I made my first post!

Default is it possible to change esn number?

I found an LG 6190 fasttap phone from Telus on the ground that was deactivated, because the phone was lost/stolen. Because the phone has no phone numbers in it, nor has it any history of incoming or outgoing calls, I cannot find the owner. Since I have found this phone and can't return it to the owner, I am wondering if it is possible to change the ESN to the same as my girlfriends. My friend has tried to change the ESN, but while the phone has a different ESN number, it still doesn't work. Is it a waste of time trying?

Phone(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Nokia Lumia 521
    Samsung Gusto 2
    Provider(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Images

Wirelessly posted (Q's Mobile Device: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.6306/1558; en; U; ssr))

I don't think so... It may be illegal to change the ESN...
    Follow me here.

Reluctantly proud Verizon Wireless user since 2005.

GO BRAVES!!!!!!

Contract Cellular history: Verizon: 2005 to present, Sprint 2001 - 2003
    Prepaid history: Alltel/Verizon 2005 to present; T-Mobile: Off and on since 1999; AT&T 2003 - 2005

Signal Go Down De Hole... ZaphodB's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    LG VX5600
    iPhone 3GS
    LG Chocolate GSM
    Provider(s)
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)

Default Re: is it possible to change esn number?

It's illegal to change the ESN, that is the same as changing the serial number on a plasma TV.

Please note that any discussion, in public or private, of how to change ESN numbers violates the WirelessAdvisor.com rules and regulations and will result in the violators being banned from posting and their posts deleted. We're not kidding.
    I can help you in English. Puedo ayudarle en espa˝ol. Je peux vous aider en franšais. Posso aiutarli in italiano. Ich kann Sie auf Deutsch helfen. Я могу помочь вам по-русски.

RJB
    RJB has left the building.

Phone(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ZaphodB View Post
    It's illegal to change the ESN, that is the same as changing the serial number on a plasma TV.

Please note that any discussion, in public or private, of how to change ESN numbers violates the WirelessAdvisor.com rules and regulations and will result in the violators being banned from posting and their posts deleted. We're not kidding.
    Then why not delete this thread??

Signal Go Down De Hole... ZaphodB's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    LG VX5600
    iPhone 3GS
    LG Chocolate GSM
    Provider(s)
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)

Because it's not a thread about how to do it, it's a thread about whether it's possible. No, it isn't possible, because it's illegal.
    I can help you in English. Puedo ayudarle en espa˝ol. Je peux vous aider en franšais. Posso aiutarli in italiano. Ich kann Sie auf Deutsch helfen. Я могу помочь вам по-русски.

I made my first post!

Quote Originally Posted by ZaphodB View Post
    Because it's not a thread about how to do it, it's a thread about whether it's possible. No, it isn't possible, because it's illegal.
    I beg to differ. If something is illegal it will not always as a result be impossible.

Phone(s)
    Motorola Droid X
    Motorola Droid
    LG Env3
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Devices
    Too much to list.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaegermeisterenatorama View Post
    I beg to differ. If something is illegal it will not always as a result be impossible.
    You're arguing technicalities there bud, technically you're right, but with the amount of equipment needed to flash the chip containing the ESN, the skill in attaching said equipment, software, etc and the legality, anybody that has to ask that question would find it impossible
    Heav'n has no Rage like Love to Hatred turn'd, Nor Hell a Fury, like a Woman scorn'd.

I made my first post!

So if i buy a phone off of e-bay an the esn number is from like 4 or 5 hundred miles away i can't get like Verizonicon to activate it for me?

Phone(s)
    Galaxy S4 GE
    Galaxy Nexus
    Nokia N8
    Sony Ericsson K850i
    Provider(s)
    AT&T; T-Mobile To Go; MTS; e-kit
    Devices
    Palm TX, PRS-950, Kobo Aura HD

Quote Originally Posted by drackler View Post
    So if i buy a phone off of e-bay an the esn number is from like 4 or 5 hundred miles away i can't get like Verizonicon to activate it for me?
    If it's a VZW phone and the ESN is "clean" (not reported lost/stolen), they'll likely activate it for you.

No more newbie here!

The actual esn number on the phone can not be changed...haha
    However if the phone is compatible with your wireless provider they can change the esn number on your account so you can use it.

Phone(s)
    Motorola Droid X
    Motorola Droid
    LG Env3
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Devices
    Too much to list.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by samantha View Post
    The actual esn number on the phone can not be changed...haha
    However if the phone is compatible with your wireless provider they can change the esn number on your account so you can use it.
    If you read above, you'll understand the discussion, and I beg to differ, the esn is most likely stored on a eprom chip, granted it's not as simple as an eeprom reflash, but it can be done, or one could replace the chip completely, but when it comes down to it, it couldn't be done by someone with no electronics background. Furthremore financially it would be cheaper to buy a new phone on ebay, and last but not least messing with the ESN is a clear violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act as well as Fraud laws in most states. You're also forgetting the fact that Verizonicon wont activate any ESN that is not in their system as a Verizonicon phone, Sprinticon is the same, and that also applies to all of the other American CDMA carriers.
    Heav'n has no Rage like Love to Hatred turn'd, Nor Hell a Fury, like a Woman scorn'd.

I made my first post!

I think you guys are jumping on the illegal stuff too much. From what I have read else where there is no law that says you cant change an ESN. there are laws that say you cant alter a phone for monetary gain. (to avoid paying for service is monetary gain) Myself I want to change the ESN on a phone I want to use on Virginicon mobile. but its a phone they did not sell and there for is not in their system. So I want to swap the ESN from a phone they did sell so my phone will now have a ESN recognized by their system. That in no way is an attempt to fraud their service. It is no attempt to break any law. and I am not cloning the ESN. as I would swap the ESN's. (or destroy the cheap phone). I keep seeing the ESN is like A VIN. its not. a VIN number is reported to an agency that monitors the vehicle. A ESN is similar to an IP address. Thats my take. I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong. the act of changing an ESN is not illegal. But many of the uses are. for example changing a droid ESN to some cheap phones ESN so you dont have to pay special droid fees (which I know dont exist just making an example) would be illegal. but changing the ESN wasent illegal technically. Altering the phone to avoid fees or payment is the illegal part.
    Junglecat likes this.

Phone(s)
    HTC Droid DNA
    Provider(s)
    Verizon Wireless

Quote Originally Posted by jpaytoncfd View Post
    I think you guys are jumping on the illegal stuff too much. From what I have read else where there is no law that says you cant change an ESN. there are laws that say you cant alter a phone for monetary gain. (to avoid paying for service is monetary gain) Myself I want to change the ESN on a phone I want to use on Virginicon mobile. but its a phone they did not sell and there for is not in their system. So I want to swap the ESN from a phone they did sell so my phone will now have a ESN recognized by their system. That in no way is an attempt to fraud their service. It is no attempt to break any law. and I am not cloning the ESN. as I would swap the ESN's. (or destroy the cheap phone). I keep seeing the ESN is like A VIN. its not. a VIN number is reported to an agency that monitors the vehicle. A ESN is similar to an IP address. Thats my take. I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong. the act of changing an ESN is not illegal. But many of the uses are. for example changing a droid ESN to some cheap phones ESN so you dont have to pay special droid fees (which I know dont exist just making an example) would be illegal. but changing the ESN wasent illegal technically. Altering the phone to avoid fees or payment is the illegal part.
    Regardless whether one's desire to alter an ESN isn't for illegal purposes, altering an ESN creates problems, treading into illegal territory and is a forbidden subject on this site. It is not something Wireless Advisor condones or supports in any way.

This is one topic not up for debate on this site. For this reason, the thread is closed.
    PacTel Cellular (1994) became AIRTOUCH (1994-2000) which became verizonwireless (2000-Present)

Resident Spamslayer Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    HTC Vivid LTE
    Moto V551, iPAQ 6515
    Western Electric 302, 500
    Ericsson Ericophone
    Provider(s)
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Devices
    Zune 30gb & way too many BT devices to list
    Images

I am in complete agreement. Whether or not one's intentions are legal or not, the ownership of this site decided long ago that any discussion of modifying or cloning ESN's is a prohibited topic of discussion, and therefore any thread that its brought up in is subject to closure or deletion.
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/256739406.png

Thread Information