Using a US cell carrier in Ontario

Does anybody use a US cell carrier.. with a NOrth American plan in ONtario and can you get the voice message ...

One more post and I'm...

Default Using a US cell carrier in Ontario

Does anybody use a US cell carrier.. with a NOrth American plan in ONtario and can you get the voice message and text message indicators? I live in Ontario - about 45 minutes from Michigan and would like to get a US carrier with a North American plan. Any advice?

Thanks.

Jake

Phone(s)
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Nokia 6030, Nokia 6310i
    Nokia 8310,
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Devices
    iPod Nano

Default Re: Using a US cell carrier in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by JakeW
    Does anybody use a US cell carrier.. with a NOrth American plan in ONtario and can you get the voice message and text message indicators? I live in Ontario - about 45 minutes from Michigan and would like to get a US carrier with a North American plan. Any advice?

Thanks.

Jake
    If you have a GSM service such as T-Mobileicon or cingular the answer is yes, all your services will work in Ontario on ROGERS. CDMA services such as Sprint, Verizonicon etc. may or may not work for all services using Bell Mobility or Telus Mobility.

Phone(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Novatel 4620 MIFI
    Sanyo -Taho by Kyocera
    Provider(s)
    Verizon , Sprint , Millenicom
    Devices
    Cyfre & Maximum Signal Cellular amplifiers

Thanks.

Jake
    I use Verizonicon's North America's Choice - Works great . I believe I am on the Telus network up there
    WWW.MaximumSignal.net
    Stay Connected !!!

One more post and I'm...
    Threadstarter

Thanks for your response back. I was in possession of a Verizonicon phone that had the North America's Choice plan - no roaming, however, if someone sent me a text message or a voice message and the phone was off and I was in Ontario, once I turned it on I didn't have the indicators to tell me there were messages waiting. Have you experienced this or have they shown on your phone while in Ontario?

Jake

Phone(s)
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Nokia 6030, Nokia 6310i
    Nokia 8310,
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Devices
    iPod Nano

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Signal
    I use Verizonicon's North America's Choice - Works great . I believe I am on the Telus network up there
    That's great, but the question was asked whether all regular services such as voicemail notification and other services work OK in Ontario. Do you know about that?

One more post and I'm...
    Threadstarter

Right.. I guess I need to know what works and what doesn't while using the phone here in Ontario - voice messages, text messages and other features. Which includes making calls to other numbers in Canada but mostly I will be making calls from Canada to the US. Jake

Phone(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Provider(s)
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Images

It worked for me while I was up in Toronto so I would think it would work across the country.
    Sprinticon also has DATA roaming agreements in Canada so don't rule out CDMA!!!

One more post and I'm...
    Threadstarter

Thanks for all your responses. Verizonicon seems to be the only phone that I can get since I dont have a US Social Security card or US address. I phoned T-Mobile and Cingular and they dont have a plan comparable to Verizonicon's North America Choice. And on those two I would have roaming charges on top of the monthly plan charges. With Verizon there is no roaming fee and no extras. One downfall is that while in Canada.. calling another Canadian number or calling the US the "IN" minutes do not apply. Or at least it didn't a year ago and I get varying answers when I call Verizon - any help or advice with that?

Andy - so your Verizon service showed the indicators (envelope and tape thing) for messages while you were in Toronto?

Thanks again. All help is appreciated.

Jake

Phone(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Provider(s)
    Images

Jake, yes it did. I remember not answering one persons' phone call when I was there because I knew they'd talk to me forever and it would cost me(since I didn't have the North America's Choice Plan) and then she left me a voicemail and it popped up.
    Last time I heard, IN minutes do NOT apply while roaming in Canada/Mexico, but only in the U.S. Nights and Weekends still apply though.

One more post and I'm...
    Threadstarter

Thanks for all your help. Im glad your phone worked for you in Toronto, Andy and its good to know you got the indicators for messages. I have called around and so far the only US carrier that has a good no roaming type plan is Verizonicon. If you have any other suggestions or advice on this please let me know.

Thanks again.

Jake

Signal Go Down De Hole... ZaphodB's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    LG VX5600
    iPhone 3GS
    LG Chocolate GSM
    Provider(s)
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)

It's been a while since I've been to the 416, but I always get my VM indicators and text indicators in Canada -- certainly it worked on my Verizonicon phone whilst in Montréal last Christmas. It can take a while, though... N/W minutes do apply on the North America's Choice plan, but IN minutes do not, as I found out to my chagrin.

They aren't supposed to let you buy service if you don't live in the service area, so if you do get this, count yourself lucky.

Out of curiosity, why do you want a US cell in Canada? Surely Canadian carriers would be cheaper for calling the US than using a US phone?
    I can help you in English. Puedo ayudarle en espa˝ol. Je peux vous aider en franšais. Posso aiutarli in italiano. Ich kann Sie auf Deutsch helfen. Я могу помочь вам по-русски.

One more post and I'm...
    Threadstarter

Good to hear that your VM indicators worked while in Canada. The reason I want to get Verizonicon is because I call the US alot and Rogers Canada One Rate is much more expensive than Verizonicon North America Choice. I also travel alot through the US and I wouldnt have to pay for roaming on Verizon. I did have a Verizon phone that I got in Michigan but was having indicator problems - I think it was the phone and I returned it. That was about a year ago.

Jake

Phone(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Provider(s)
    Images

Good to hear that your VM indicators worked while in Canada. The reason I want to get Verizonicon is because I call the US alot and Rogers Canada One Rate is much more expensive than Verizonicon North America Choice. I also travel alot through the US and I wouldnt have to pay for roaming on Verizon. I did have a Verizon phone that I got in Michigan but was having indicator problems - I think it was the phone and I returned it. That was about a year ago.

Jake
    This isn't the first time I have heard about Canadian residence/frequent U.S. Travellers taking advantage of VZW North America's Choice because it is better for the money.
    Also, a lot has changed within the last year and CDMA capabilities while roaming.

Thread Information