Tracfone Roaming? How Can I Find Out Which Carrier I am Receiving a Signal From?

I was wondering how I can find out which carrier my Nokia 2600 is roaming off of? Which carrier does TracFone ...

Phone(s)
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Provider(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Devices
    Slingbox HD;Kenwood DNX9960;Verizon 4G iPad 3
    Images

Question Tracfone Roaming? How Can I Find Out Which Carrier I am Receiving a Signal From?

I was wondering how I can find out which carrier my Nokia 2600 is roaming off of? Which carrier does TracFoneicon prefer?

Also what does it mean when people say Cingular orange or blue tower? Does Cingular orange mean Cingular's native coverage and blue means AT&Ticon's coverage?

I am in home zip code right now, and the phone just switched from TracFoneicon to Roaming. So how can I find out what carrier I am roaming on?

Is there any way to force my phone to use a network (I am assuming not since there isn't a manual network selection menu)? Or does the phone and Tracfone just switch to the strongest network?

Finally, according to Tracfone's website, they state the following:

"Enjoy the same low rate for every call -- local, long distance & roaming"

Does this above statement mean that I just use the minutes on my airtime card, whether I am dialing a local call (without the area code), a long distance call (with the area code), or roaming on my phone? Again I am assuming that my above statement is correct.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help. I appreciate it.
    My Carriers:

Cellular One (TDMA) [1999-2000]>>AT&T (TDMA) [2000-2001]>>Cingular (TDMA) [2001-2003]>>Sprint [2003-2005]>>Verizon Wireless [2005 to present]>>Sprint SERO [2006-2008]>>AT&T [2008 to 2009]

Phone(s)
    Nokia Lumia 1520
    Provider(s)
    AT&T
    Devices
    Nexus 7 LTE
    Images

Default Re: Tracfone Roaming? How Can I Find Out Which Carrier I am Receiving a Signal From?

Gamer, you are correct about the Cingular Blue/Orange coverage. The only way I know of to find out what network you are using is to dial 611 or a incomplete number. I am not up on TracFoneicon plans, but from what you say it sounds like everything is included in the standard per minute charge.

Technology Aficionado
    Threadstarter
    Phone(s)
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Provider(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Devices
    Images

Default Re: Tracfone Roaming? How Can I Find Out Which Carrier I am Receiving a Signal From?

Quote Originally Posted by budney
    Gamer, you are correct about the Cingular Blue/Orange coverage. The only way I know of to find out what network you are using is to dial 611 or a incomplete number. I am not up on TracFoneicon plans, but from what you say it sounds like everything is included in the standard per minute charge.
    Ok.

Well I set up my voicemail yesterday, and the prompt said welcome to Cingular Wireless. So I am guessing that when my phone says TracFoneicon I am using Cingular's coverage, and when I am roaming, I am using T-Mobileicon's coverage.

I think I am going to e-mail Tracfone some questions. Thanks budney for pointing out the fact to dial 611 or a bogus number.

I appreciate your help.

BTW, Cingular's GSM coverage is awesome in my area. I will have to take my phone to my campus on Monday and test it out.
    My Carriers:

Cellular One (TDMA) [1999-2000]>>AT&T (TDMA) [2000-2001]>>Cingular (TDMA) [2001-2003]>>Sprint [2003-2005]>>Verizon Wireless [2005 to present]>>Sprint SERO [2006-2008]>>AT&T [2008 to 2009]

Phone(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    Motorola Atrix HD (Wife)
    Provider(s)
    at&t
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer03
    Cingular's GSM coverage is awesome in my area. I will have to take my phone to my campus on Monday and test it out.
    Gamer....pardon me for asking again.....as I know I have asked you and maybe because I am tired and it's late, I cannot find the other thread

I thought you tried Cingular before and it was bad (leading you to go with Verizonicon--after your Sprinticon fiasco)? Maybe I'm thinking of something else? I'm glad it is going good for you so far (Cingular coverage).....how about campus?

Phone(s)
    iPhone 4
    (Personal & Work)
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/showthread.php?t=8011 (New MVNO That Uses Cingular's GSM Network)

Gamer, glad Cingular/gsm is working fine. I didn't know you still were using Cingular TDMA in 2004--thought you got rid of it in 2003. Use gsm too much and you'll really start to notice the bad sound quality on vzw!

Euer WA Experte in Europa ShoresGuy's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Motorola E770V
    Provider(s)
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    Devices
    T-Mobile MDA II - GSM 900/1800/1900 w/WM 2003
    Images

Gamer, how is the network performance in your area when a lot of subscribers start making their N&W calls at night or on weekends after a certain time?

Phone(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Provider(s)
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Airb330
    Use gsm too much and you'll really start to notice the bad sound quality on vzw!
    Oh Please

Phone(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    Motorola Atrix HD (Wife)
    Provider(s)
    at&t
    Images

http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/showthread.php?t=8011 (New MVNO That Uses Cingular's GSM Network)

Gamer, glad Cingular/gsm is working fine. I didn't know you still were using Cingular TDMA in 2004--thought you got rid of it in 2003. Use gsm too much and you'll really start to notice the bad sound quality on vzw!
    Thanks Airb for pointing that one out .....I just couldn't find it......then again it was late.

Technology Aficionado
    Threadstarter
    Phone(s)
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Provider(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Devices
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76
    Gamer....pardon me for asking again.....as I know I have asked you and maybe because I am tired and it's late, I cannot find the other thread

I thought you tried Cingular before and it was bad (leading you to go with Verizonicon--after your Sprinticon fiasco)? Maybe I'm thinking of something else? I'm glad it is going good for you so far (Cingular coverage).....how about campus?
    That's ok shizam.

We had Cingular TDMA from 2002-2004 (got rid of it in February of 2004).

We switched to Sprinticon PCS in March of 2004, and then we dumped Sprint due to our extensive coverage problem towards the middle of January (2005). We now Verizonicon (before they switched to the no roaming plans).
    My Carriers:

Technology Aficionado
    Threadstarter
    Phone(s)
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Provider(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Devices
    Images

That's ok shizam.

We had Cingular TDMA from 2002-2004 (got rid of it in February of 2004).

We switched to Sprint PCS in March of 2004, and then we dumped Sprint due to our extensive coverage problem towards the middle of January (2005). We now Verizonicon (before they switched to the no roaming plans).
    That figures.

Cingular GSM (AT&Ticon's old towers) has a full signal both inside and outside on my campus.

But Verizon works good too, so when our contract is up, unless Cingular has one of a promotion, then we will most likely keep Verizon.
    My Carriers:

Technology Aficionado
    Threadstarter
    Phone(s)
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Provider(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Devices
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShoresGuy
    Gamer, how is the network performance in your area when a lot of subscribers start making their N&W calls at night or on weekends after a certain time?
    Network performance in my area after 7:00 p.m. (if you spent the $7/month to get the n&w to start earlier) or after 9:00 p.m. has the same type of performance that it does during the day.

The same goes with Verizonicon in my area and up on my campus (although I am only there until 4:45 p.m. at the latest).
    My Carriers:

Euer WA Experte in Europa ShoresGuy's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Motorola E770V
    Provider(s)
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    Devices
    T-Mobile MDA II - GSM 900/1800/1900 w/WM 2003
    Images

That figures.

Cingular GSM (AT&Ticon's old towers) has a full signal both inside and outside on my campus.

But Verizonicon works good too, so when our contract is up, unless Cingular has one of a promotion, then we will most likely keep Verizonicon.
    Sounds like you're caught in the middle since you want to have both .

Technology Aficionado
    Threadstarter
    Phone(s)
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Provider(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Devices
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShoresGuy
    Sounds like you're caught in the middle since you want to have both .
    That's true.

But with Verizonicon we will get the NE2.

But I am very impressed with how well Cingular and the old AT&Ticon (now Cingular) towers are in my area.
    My Carriers:

Phone(s)
    ZTE Unico
    ZTE Majesty
    LG Optimus Exceed 2
    Provider(s)
    America Movil, Verizon
    Devices
    Motorola H720 Bluetooth
    Images

How on earth did I miss this thread???

Generally, a call to 611 made with a TracFoneicon (all technologies: CDMA, GSM, TDMA) will result in a recording of some type identifying the actual carrier's name. A call to 611 will use up units.

Where you can roam, appears to be determined by the actual carrier. I took GSM and CDMA TracFoneicon's with me on a recent trip to Canada (Montreal). Although it's been said the phones will not work outside of the U.S., both phones displayed "Roaming" up there, but I did not place any actual calls with them. The CDMA phone registered on Telus Moblilty.
    America Movil/Straight Talk/TracFone customer since 2004.
    verizon customer since 2013.
    T-Mobile customer from 2005-2014.

Thread Information