Multiple instances of same SSID !!!!!!!

hi, I have been facing a strange problem since i have installed CISCO 1310 outdoorAccess points. I have used the same ...

Shoulda joined long ago!

Default Multiple instances of same SSID !!!!!!!

hi,

I have been facing a strange problem since i have installed CISCO 1310 outdoorAccess points.

I have used the same SSID for all 12 access points and when i try to search for a wifi connection, the list shows multiple instances of same SSID but in a strange fashion.

for example the SSID for all the access points is "AIR"

So when i search for a wireless connection, im shown

Air

Air 1

Air 1 2

AIR 1 2 3

Air 1 2 3 4

Air 1 2 3 4 5

and so on.

I would like to mention that all the access point are placed far apart..

I would be thankful if someone could explain this strange phenomenon.

Provider(s)
    GSM / WCDMA

Default Re: Multiple instances of same SSID !!!!!!!

Shouldn't each AP have a unique SSID? How far apart are the AP's? You said "far apart" but are you sure the signals don't overlap at all?

My guess would be that the receiving card is seeing several AP's with the same SSID and re-naming them incrementally so it can tell them apart.
    Understand communications. Visit Radio Raiders
    Plot your own cellular coverage maps at Cellumap <--Apps for BlackBerry / Android / Symbian

Shoulda joined long ago!
    Threadstarter

Ok i can say that the signals of 3 pairs of access points would be overlapping, the remaining are far apart, abt 500 mts approx.

But what if the signals overlap too, the Access points autosense the channel and allocate them self to a channel that is different from the neighbouring access point.

So do u think overlapping of signals is causing the problem.

In that case why am i facing the same phenomenon with the accespoints that are really far apart.

Provider(s)
    GSM / WCDMA

Quote Originally Posted by vignesh View Post
    Ok i can say that the signals of 3 pairs of access points would be overlapping, the remaining are far apart, abt 500 mts approx.

But what if the signals overlap too, the Access points autosense the channel and allocate them self to a channel that is different from the neighbouring access point.

So do u think overlapping of signals is causing the problem.

In that case why am i facing the same phenomenon with the accespoints that are really far apart.
    The WiFi card in your laptop maybe stores in it's memory the names of all the AP's it has accessed recently. Maybe it associates then name of the AP with some other unique identifier, like a MAC address or IP address og the AP, and when it sees a new AP with the same SSID but different MAC and IP address, it increments the name of the SSID to tell it apart? (...just a guess)

Anyway, is there a reason you don't want to give each AP a unique SSID?
    Understand communications. Visit Radio Raiders
    Plot your own cellular coverage maps at Cellumap <--Apps for BlackBerry / Android / Symbian

Shoulda joined long ago!
    Threadstarter

yeah actually i need to have same SSID on all the accesspoints becoz, i wanna configure it for roaming. I'll be configuring WDS on a CISCO wireless controller and have roaming for clients whereever possible.

I am gonna get 4 to 5 more access points for covering the area that does not have overlapped signals for the moments.

Thread Information