How can One tell who owns a cell tower?

Many people on here say, oh I have a Spint tower down the road from me etc... How can One tell ...

Phone(s)
    iPhone 4
    (Personal & Work)
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

Default How can One tell who owns a cell tower?

Many people on here say, oh I have a Spint tower down the road from me etc... How can One tell what company owns the site. Here in DE there are two main types of towers, smaller ones with a triangle on the top, and taller ones with many panels on them. NONE of them have a logo at the bottom or anything...so how do you know?

WA's 1st retired mod KevinJames's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    Samsung Note3
    Provider(s)
    AT&T
    Devices
    Plantronics Discovery925, Garmin Nuvi 660

On my links page I list a Canadian site that is very informational about types of towers. Additionally, you will find a section about towers on my links page.

Well it is not something that can really be known unless there is a sign on the fence or know someone that owns the land....

I have sites that I don't know all of the carriers that are on there,it gets really difficult to tell after a while...

I know someone on this forum that knew a web site that listed sites that were files to fcc by area, maybe someone has that... It's only had a hand full of site that were in this area so don't expect it to have everything....

Some company's use alot of the same antenna's on different site and you can tell by that,but alot of them don't so it is a guessing game after that....

Yeah, I downloaded a whole map thing from the FCCs site. They have all the towers, but not all the cells, many cell phone "towers" are now just placed on top of many tall buildings. The problem with the finder is that it lists the Company that owns it. Usually it is not the cell phone company but a private company who puts it up.

Phone(s)
    LG Optimus G
    Provider(s)
    Sprint
    Images

Here in CA some carriers do have their sites identified. Sprint, Nextel and Cingular have their logo on each tower that belongs to them. Sometimes you just have to know where to look. Verizonicon and AT&Ticon usually don't label their sites though.

WA's 1st retired mod KevinJames's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    Samsung Note3
    Provider(s)
    AT&T
    Devices
    Plantronics Discovery925, Garmin Nuvi 660

This weekend I decided to go out and take some photo shots (my hobby). I was looking for rustic farm houses that were in severe disrepair. I was within a few feet of a couple of towers that are placed on the outskirts of town. No signs but in both cases I have seen these towers on maps and know that they are not directly owned by any of the carriers.

Phone(s)
    LG Optimus G
    Provider(s)
    Sprint
    Images

Carriers will often lease space on towers belonging to other companies such as SBA, America, Spectrasite, and Pinnacle. This is especially true in more rural areas.

Southeast Florida has a bunch of Spectrasite Towers and buildings where Spectrasite is leasing space on the roof.

<< Carriers will often lease space on towers belonging to other companies such as SBA, America, Spectrasite, and Pinnacle. This is especially true in more rural areas. >>

Many (not sure if it's "most") towers are owned by third-parties who rent antenna space to whoever comes along and wants it. Even those owned by the carriers themselves are often shared. You can be sure that ANY tower with multiple antenna banks is shared, so even if you know who OWNS it, it is not always easy to figure out who operates from it.

You can determine ownership of the tower itself from your local zoning/taxing authorities. However, it's likely to be a "dummy" company set up by either the carrier or other party just to own towers. In some cases, just to own ONE tower. Who owns the dummy company is often hard to determine...

If you can actually get close to the towers electronics building (usually located inside the fence), it probably has an emergency phone number visible on it. It might also have the company name. Poking around the tower's base might also get you arrested -- especially in this era of heightened infrastructure protection. You can be sure there is video if not more substantial security in effect there....

Phone(s)
    LG Optimus G
    Provider(s)
    Sprint
    Images

I can usually tell just by looking at the antenna arrays which carrier they are for. Most carriers have their own unique style of antenna panels and it makes it easy to identify. But I've found that if I travel to another state such as Texas the antennas look completely different than they do here in Los Angeles. I guess my ability is limited to So. CA.

Phone(s)
    Nokia 3600(me)
    SE T616(me),T226(mom)
    Samsung SGH-x426(me)
    Nokia 7210(dad)
    Provider(s)
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    Devices
    BlueTrek G2 Bluetooth Headset

It's extremely hard to find out the owners around here(Mendocino County, CA) except right in the city. Many of the sites are on top of very high mountains, and the roads to them are either 4WD only(snowmobile in the winter)or privately owned. I have also noticed that in this area, very few sites are leased from tower companies, the cellular companies usually build them themselves.

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5
    BlackberryTorch 9850
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    WiFi cards/Access points
    Images

You can't really tell who's tower is it but you can tell which companies have antennas in a particular tower. If your phone has a test screen you can tell by the signal strength. Also, I've noticed that 800Mhz antennas are often gray (if they haven't been painted) and with two protuberances (one on the top half and another on the bottom half) and many of them have a curved screen behind each antenna. Most 1900Mhz antennas have a flat look and are smaller (about 5 feet long) and if they were not camouflaged they are white. Using those facts and phones with test screens from different carriers and using some common sense you can find out a lot.
    If you want to see cell site pictures here is an interesting collection: http://www.geckobeach.com/cellular/cellpixs/default.htm
    "Jobs was brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it."
    -Barack Obama

Phone(s)
    Blackberry
    Provider(s)
    Rogers (2007-2011) Bell (2011-present)
    Images

Default Re: How can One tell who owns a cell tower?

Does anyone know who owns the cell towers in Canada?

(ie. American tower, Pinnacle, SBA etc) are all american tower owners.

Any ideas on the Canadian companies?

thanks for any replies

Phone(s)
    LG Optimus G
    Provider(s)
    Sprint
    Images

Wow this is one of the oldest threads I've ever seen revived from the dead! it's weird to see a thread with former moderators, old members who no longer post and even 'guests'

Well anyway sorry I can't answer your question but maybe someone else can.

Phone(s)
    Blackberry
    Provider(s)
    Rogers (2007-2011) Bell (2011-present)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    Wow this is one of the oldest threads I've ever seen revived from the dead! it's weird to see a thread with former moderators, old members who no longer post and even 'guests'

Well anyway sorry I can't answer your question but maybe someone else can.
    Oops, ha ha sorry, I didn't even really look at the date of all the other posts. I just happened to stumble across it yesterday, my bad.

This is actually just something I've been trying to figure out with the Canadian towers for some time. I have a feeling that the cell phone companies (Rogers, Telus and Bell) own some of them, but I just wanted to see if there were any other companies that own the Canadian towers.

Thanks anyways

Thread Information