#90 or 09# Scam for SIM cards - True or False?

I recently rec'd and email about a potential scam related to GSM / SIM card phones. I usually don't pass on ...

JFB
    JFB is in the house!
    Phone(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile
    Devices
    iPod Nano 16GB, Sirius Starmate Replay
    Images

Default #90 or 09# Scam for SIM cards - True or False?

I recently rec'd and email about a potential scam related to GSM / SIM card phones. I usually don't pass on this type of email because greater than 99% of them are bogus. I have not forwarded it to anyone, but I thought it would be a good topic to discuss whether or not it could be true.

Here is the text of the email:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    <FONT size=2>
    WARNING - MOBILE PHONE FRAUD ALERT
    Everyone please be warned:
    If you get a phone call on your mobile from any mobile phone 'company engineer' telling you that they are doing a check on your phone and that you must press #90 or 09# . END THE CALL IMMEDIATELY without pressing the numbers.
    There is a fraud company on the go who have devised a device that once you pressed #90 or 09#, they can access your SIM CARD and make calls from it at your expense. Tell as many people as you can so we can stop this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (end text)

Is this even technically possible? I tend to doubt it highly, but I am no expert in GSM/SIM card technology.

JFB

</FONT>
    Joe

Are you new to WA?

Introduce yourself in our Welcome Forum!

WA's 1st retired mod KevinJames's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    Samsung Note3
    Provider(s)
    AT&T
    Devices
    Plantronics Discovery925, Garmin Nuvi 660

Regarding <u>landlines</u> I am aware of a dial-sequence that was being used by imprisoned criminals who would call an unsuspecting residence, claiming to be a tech testing the line, and ask for a dial-sequence. The dial-sequence would then allow the criminal to call anywhere using their prey's phone number and have it billed to the prey's phone bill. Obviously, I am not going to post what that sequence is.

I do not know of the same being true with wireless phones containing SIM cards (GSM phones).

I made my first post!

Smile Re: #90 or 09# Scam for SIM cards - True or False?

Hi - this is a worldwide hoax. The hoax confirmation can be found on the following web site links - copy and paste any of them to in your address line to access the site:

http://www.trendmicro.com/Vinfo/hoax...2390%2F09+Cell +Phone+Warning+Hoax&Page=1

Don't Press #90 on Your Cellular Phone - BreakTheChain.org

I always google key words when I get a message like this before sending it on and 90% of the time they are hoaxes. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by disconut; 07-25-2008 at 12:25 AM. Reason: incorrect grammar

Resident Spamslayer Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    HTC Vivid LTE
    Moto V551, iPAQ 6515
    Western Electric 302, 500
    Ericsson Ericophone
    Provider(s)
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Devices
    Zune 30gb & way too many BT devices to list
    Images

Default Re: #90 or 09# Scam for SIM cards - True or False?

http://www.speedtest.net/android/256739406.png

Thread Information