Central Illinois coverage - T-Mobile?

I'm looking to buy my first cell phone. I consider Bluetooth to be an important feature and it certainly appears to ...

Shoulda joined long ago!

Default Central Illinois coverage - T-Mobile?

I'm looking to buy my first cell phone. I consider Bluetooth to be an important feature and it certainly appears to me that Sony Ericsson phones are the best Bluetooth phones out there. THe problem is that none of the carriers here offer SE phones. There's a couple of Motorola Bluetooth phones I can purchase, but I've pretty much given up on Motorola. Cingular also may have an SE phone coming in the next few weeks (T637? http://www.phonescoop.com/carriers/carrier.php?c=4) but I can't get any definitive information from them.

So the hot deal at the moment is an SE 610 from Amazonicon. The problem is that it's only available through T-Mobileicon and I know no one who has a T-Mobileicon phone. Their coverage map shows that out here (Bloomington, IL), all the cities are covered and the interstates that connect them but not much else. Anybody have a T-Mobile phone in this area that can give me some idea what the coverage is like?

I'm also wondering other providers are preferred for this part of the state. If I have to, I'll buy an SE phone separately and take it to one of the carriers.

Phone(s)
    Nokia 6256i
    (retired) Motorola V120c
    Timeport 270c
    Nokia 252 (Airtouch)
    Provider(s)
    Verizon Wireless

Post Re: Central Illinois coverage - T-Mobile?

Verizonicon might be an option. Verizonicon probably has the best rural coverage for Illionis then Cingular then US Cellular third. Verizon only has one bluetooth phone you can buy V710 and it is pricy. As far as I know US Cellular does not have V710 yet.

Phone(s)
    Nokia 6256i
    (retired) Motorola V120c
    Timeport 270c
    Nokia 252 (Airtouch)
    Provider(s)
    Verizon Wireless

Exclamation Re: Central Illinois coverage - T-Mobile?

A phone you buy from T-Mobileicon will have to stay with T-Mobileicon. T-Mobiles phones only do GSM on PCS band. If you took it to get service with Cingular they are a cellular provider in your area and they phone is not capable of doing a call in Cellular. That phone would never work for any CDMA provider like Verizonicon or US Cellular (witch is actually PCS provider in your area). So if you choice wireless provider you need to buy a phone from them so you know the phone will work is the bottom line.

I have a weird title!
    Phone(s)
    LG VX4400
    Kyocera KX414e

Default Re: Central Illinois coverage - T-Mobile?

One thing to consider is that there is not a T-Mobileicon store in Bloomington, IL. I am not even sure if there is an agent in town. So if service issues with phones, paying bills at a location, etc. are areas of concern, then I would not choose T-Mobile. There are USCC and Cingular corp locations in the Bloomington/Normal area. Verizonicon, Nextel, and Sprint are agent locations. The closest Verizonicon corp location is in Peoria, IL. Not sure about Sprint and Nextel. For the type of technology you are looking at, and also just general coverage in central IL, I would probably suggest Cingular. But if your heart is set on t-mobile, then give them a shot.

Phone(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    Motorola Atrix HD (Wife)
    Provider(s)
    at&t
    Images

Tmobileicon is a bad idea if you want coverage outside of a metro area and beyond 5 miles from the interstate if you are in the boonies.....there is no coverage or roaming.

Shoulda joined long ago!
    Threadstarter

Quote Originally Posted by dro21
    One thing to consider is that there is not a t-mobile store in Bloomington, IL. I am not even sure if there is an agent in town. So if service issues with phones, paying bills at a location, etc. are areas of concern, then I would not choose t-mobile. There are USCC and Cingular corp locations in the Bloomington/Normal area. Verizonicon, Nextel, and Sprint are agent locations. The closest Verizonicon corp location is in Peoria, IL. Not sure about Sprint and Nextel. For the type of technology you are looking at, and also just general coverage in central IL, I would probably suggest Cingular. But if your heart is set on t-mobile, then give them a shot.
    The closest T-Mobile reps of any kind are in wal-marticon's and Office Depot's in some of the neighboring cities (Peoria, Decatur, Champaign). Of all the services that have stores in Bloomington, only Cingular and Verizon carry BlueTooth phones and both of them are Motorola's. Actually scratch Cingular off that list, since they won't sell the v600 anymore (I asked and that's what they told me). They may have a new Bluetooth phone coming soon, but that doesn't help me much. Verizon sells the v710 but at over $200 with the 2-year plan, it's way too much phone for me.

Another idea I've thought of would be to visit my parents in St. Louis and see what kind of phones Verizon and Cingular offer down there.

Shoulda joined long ago!
    Threadstarter

Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76
    Tmobileicon is a bad idea if you want coverage outside of a metro area and beyond 5 miles from the interstate if you are in the boonies.....there is no coverage or roaming.
    Yep, I've noticed that. I can't say that I go out into the boonies more than a couple of times a year. But I'm sure that if I can't get a signal out from the main coverage areas, I'll remember every time that my service has left me behind.

Thread Information