Best Cell Service in Charleston, WV?

What is the best cellular service based in Charleston, West Virginia? I travel occasionally across the state, and at times to ...

Get me out of Newbieville!

Default Best Cell Service in Charleston, WV?

What is the best cellular service based in Charleston, West Virginia? I travel occasionally across the state, and at times to other states nearby. I have a Cingular pre-paid plan, but often receive "out of service area" messages on my phone. There's a signal, but my service won't connect with it.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
    CS

Phone(s)
    Motorola V262
    Provider(s)
    Verizon (Alltel)

Default Re: Best Cell Service in Charleston, WV?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSaint
    What is the best cellular service based in Charleston, West Virginia? I travel occasionally across the state, and at times to other states nearby. I have a Cingular pre-paid plan, but often receive "out of service area" messages on my phone. There's a signal, but my service won't connect with it.

Thanks,
    CS
    Alltel has good coverage, either on their own network or with free roaming on Verizonicon, US Cellular and Sprinticon in WV and surrounding states. Kentucky, however, is an exception. Many parts of KY, are roaming areas. Here's a link to their National Freedom plan and coverage:

http://www.alltel.com/personal/wirel...l_freedom.html

royc

Get me out of Newbieville!
    Threadstarter

I've looked at Alltel, and am impressed. Do you know what the basic difference is between their National Freedom plan and their Total Freedom plan, other than minutes?

CS

Fresh Member
    Phone(s)
    LG AX4750
    Kyocera SE44 Slider
    LG AX5000
    LG AX4750
    Provider(s)
    Alltel National Freedom 1000,National Touch2Talk,

National Freedom is on the partner networks. Total Freedom, Alltel picks up the tab on the roaming networks. Thats the bigest differance between the two besides the huge minute offset, only if you need the extra coverage would I ever suggest the Total Freedom plan, and since Alltel lets you change your plan any time you need to. Also you get 15 days to try the network and see if they cover where you need the most. They are also the only provider offering mobile to home free calling, on the National Freedom plan that is, Total Freedom pulls from the 1000 mobile to mobile minutes. Then you can add 7 pm off peak for $7. Hope this helps.

Phone(s)
    E815
    LG LX5550 (Backup)
    Provider(s)
    Alltel

If you choose the national Freedom 1000, nights begins at 7pm at no add'l charge. All for 49 beaners...of course minus taxes and fees.

Phone(s)
    LG VX8370 Clout
    LG EnV 3
    HTC Incredible 2
    Provider(s)
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    Images

I have had Alltel for going on 4 years. I spend a lot of time in WV and OH. Mostly Beckley, Columbus and Mount Vernon. I have never had a problem with Alltel..they have been great. They even gave me an extra 100 minutes a month at no charge on my one year anniv. I thought that was great! I had Cingular before too and hated it! It was useless in Va along I81 corridor and I had "No Service" alot in other areas too! I RARELY get "No Sevice" with my Alltel phone. Just make sure you get a tri-mode phone with digital and analog capabilities...Motorolas are the best..try a V265 or V710...DO IT...TRY Alltel!

Phone(s)
    iPhone 4
    (Personal & Work)
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSaint

Thanks,
    CS
    When you have service but cannot use it, you are most likely roaming on Cellular One. Cingular postpaid accounts can use that. If you think that covers you well, you may want to try a regular Cingular plan. However, it does seem that other carriers (Alltel, Cell One) may just cover the area better and with better plans.

Resident Spamslayer Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    HTC Vivid LTE
    Moto V551, iPAQ 6515
    Western Electric 302, 500
    Ericsson Ericophone
    Provider(s)
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Devices
    Zune 30gb & way too many BT devices to list
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by djjim
    I have had Alltel for going on 4 years. I spend a lot of time in WV and OH. Mostly Beckley, Columbus and Mount Vernon. I have never had a problem with Alltel..they have been great. They even gave me an extra 100 minutes a month at no charge on my one year anniv. I thought that was great! I had Cingular before too and hated it! It was useless in Va along I81 corridor and I had "No Service" alot in other areas too! I RARELY get "No Sevice" with my Alltel phone. Just make sure you get a tri-mode phone with digital and analog capabilities...Motorolas are the best..try a V265 or V710...DO IT...TRY Alltel!
    I've never had a problem anywhere along I-81 w/ Cingular - even with my old TDMA phones. I used to regularly travel to Wilkes-Barre & Brackney PA and never had problems with Cingular service. I also never had problems going down 81 to the Harrisonburg area, and accross 33 through the mountains. My brother-in-law is from that area and all of our phones work quite well down there, except he is starting to feel the pinch of the TDMA network being shut down. I think he's finally going to upgrade to GSM this month.
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/256739406.png

Thread Information