Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dmapr

GoPhone Inactive Period? Minimum Refill?

I'd like to buy a ATT gophone pre-paid SIM. Once I activate it, if I don't add any money to the ...

Provider(s)
    GSM / WCDMA

Question GoPhone Inactive Period? Minimum Refill?

I'd like to buy a ATT gophoneicon pre-paid SIM. Once I activate it, if I don't add any money to the account in "x" days the account will be deactivated. I can then re-activate it anytime by adding money to the account, according to Wikipedia:

Each package has an expiration time: 30 days for the $15 package, 90 days for the $25, $50, and $75 packages, and 365 days for the $100 package

If you do not refill your account for 60 days after your last airtime expires, then your account will be deactivated and your phone number may be lost if it becomes recycled.
    My questions are:

1) How long after the 60 days of no payment can the SIM card be reactivated? A few months? A year? (Keeping the same number isn't important to me)

2) Is the minimum re-fill $15?
    Understand communications. Visit Radio Raiders
    Plot your own cellular coverage maps at Cellumap <--Apps for BlackBerry / Android / Symbian

Phone(s)
    Galaxy S4 GE
    Galaxy Nexus
    Nokia N8
    Sony Ericsson K850i
    Provider(s)
    AT&T; T-Mobile To Go; MTS; e-kit
    Devices
    Palm TX, PRS-950, Kobo Aura HD

Default Re: GoPhone Inactive Period? Minimum Refill?

Quote Originally Posted by RadioRaiders View Post
    I'd like to buy a ATT gophoneicon pre-paid SIM. Once I activate it, if I don't add any money to the account in "x" days the account will be deactivated. I can then re-activate it anytime by adding money to the account, according to Wikipedia:

My questions are:

1) How long after the 60 days of no payment can the SIM card be reactivated? A few months? A year? (Keeping the same number isn't important to me)

2) Is the minimum re-fill $15?
    1. 60 days is it. Past that you need to buy a new SIM card (corp stores will often give you one for free with the activation)
    2. Official minimum refill is $15, I heard you can use the $5 "feature cards" as refill as well. Just as a $15 card they allegedly add 30 days to the expiration.
    RadioRaiders likes this.

RF Black-Belt
    Threadstarter
    Provider(s)
    GSM / WCDMA

Thanks dmapr. I also see alot of unactivated ATTicon SIM cards on ebay selling for around $5 each. If I buy one of these, can I activate it on-line by buying $15 credit for it? And then it's active for 30 days?

...in Europe, most operators will reactivate an old pre-paid SIM card for you. I had one old pre-paid SIM I didn't use for a year or 2 and when I went to the operators store, they not only reactivated it for free, but also restored the credit that was on it from a year or 2 ago

Oh, one more question: are there any US pre-paid cards that will keep your SIM active even if you don't buy credit for a long time? (ie: a year)
    Understand communications. Visit Radio Raiders
    Plot your own cellular coverage maps at Cellumap <--Apps for BlackBerry / Android / Symbian

Phone(s)
    Galaxy S4 GE
    Galaxy Nexus
    Nokia N8
    Sony Ericsson K850i
    Provider(s)
    AT&T; T-Mobile To Go; MTS; e-kit
    Devices
    Palm TX, PRS-950, Kobo Aura HD

Quote Originally Posted by RadioRaiders View Post
    Thanks dmapr. I also see alot of unactivated ATTicon SIM cards on ebay selling for around $5 each. If I buy one of these, can I activate it on-line by buying $15 credit for it? And then it's active for 30 days?

...in Europe, most operators will reactivate an old pre-paid SIM card for you. I had one old pre-paid SIM I didn't use for a year or 2 and when I went to the operators store, they not only reactivated it for free, but also restored the credit that was on it from a year or 2 ago

Oh, one more question: are there any US pre-paid cards that will keep your SIM active even if you don't buy credit for a long time? (ie: a year)
    You should be able to buy and activate online, especially if you have a US credit card. I always bought directly from AT&Ticon, so they came pre-activated, I just needed to add credit. Yes, $15 will be good for a month.

AT&T is totally inept when it comes to SIM card technology. They have all the necessary data to be able to reformat a PUK-locked SIM card, yet they just give you a new one. They can't handle a deactivated SIM either. And they are so money-hungry, their only option is $100 refill for a 1-year expiration.

T-Mobileicon allows you 1-year expiration with any refill once you plop down $100 in refills, their minimum refill amount is $10. They also have a more limited coverage

Thread Information